Wine and Diners-when do you run?

fmingo36

Original Poster
So here's a question for those training for the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon in October.

When I was training for the Princess 1/2 I was getting up early to train every day but the Wine and Dine 1/2 is just the opposite-a 10:00 PM start time.
I'm really worried that I am going to be exhausted before the race even starts.

Is anybody changing there training routine so that they will be used to running so late at night. I can't yet due to childcare issues but I'm thinking that in another month or two I might have to start running at night. Anybody else?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
So here's a question for those training for the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon in October.

When I was training for the Princess 1/2 I was getting up early to train every day but the Wine and Dine 1/2 is just the opposite-a 10:00 PM start time.
I'm really worried that I am going to be exhausted before the race even starts.

Is anybody changing there training routine so that they will be used to running so late at night. I can't yet due to childcare issues but I'm thinking that in another month or two I might have to start running at night. Anybody else?
Im training in the afternoons after work. Im tired, it is hot as ____*t (85-95 degrees average) and I dont think 4 hours difference in starting to run at 5 or 5:30 and 10pm will make or break my race.

I was worried about that, but I cant go run at 10pm... especially with a full time job and 2 year old. I will say that for my long runs on Sunday, I do get up early. Like I said above though, I think if you are in shape and ready to run your best 13.1, you will be able to do it.

dreamfinder

Some people do recommend training as close to the actual conditions as possible. Not necessarily for a long period of time, but at least a few times prior to the event.

When I did the ToT races, I didn't do any late night prep, and was pretty much dead on my desired pace. This was after a full day in the parks as well. Yeah they were a few miles shorter, but it was close enough.

Phonedave

I have been heading out at 7:00 or 7:30 at night.

I do that whenever I can. I run much better in the afternoon. I think it's because my body is more warmed up. My gym is a 24 hour gym (during the week) and in the winter it's not uncommon to find me on a treadmill at 10:00 PM

I am looking foward to this 10:00 PM start.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I have been heading out at 7:00 or 7:30 at night.

I do that whenever I can. I run much better in the afternoon. I think it's because my body is more warmed up. My gym is a 24 hour gym (during the week) and in the winter it's not uncommon to find me on a treadmill at 10:00 PM

I am looking foward to this 10:00 PM start.

-dave
It will sure be interesting from a diet standpoint. Like I said above, if I am in shape to complete the 13.1 and have trained for 3+ months, Im not sure it matters to me when I run it (morning, noon or night). It is the diet factors that go into it.

Do I eat a very big carb protein breakfast and then 3 light snacks from noon until about 7 or 8 or a decent breakfast, protein carb lunch and 1 small snack for dinner.

I run better on emptier stomach but not completely empty. Tough call. Also, Ill be in Epcot all day Saturday so ill have to do some research and plan for my stacks/meals after breakfast at the resort.

Phonedave

It will sure be interesting from a diet standpoint. Like I said above, if I am in shape to complete the 13.1 and have trained for 3+ months, Im not sure it matters to me when I run it (morning, noon or night). It is the diet factors that go into it.

Do I eat a very big carb protein breakfast and then 3 light snacks from noon until about 7 or 8 or a decent breakfast, protein carb lunch and 1 small snack for dinner.

I run better on emptier stomach but not completely empty. Tough call. Also, Ill be in Epcot all day Saturday so ill have to do some research and plan for my stacks/meals after breakfast at the resort.

I will have to watch that too.

I home if I am running in the PM, I eat something like a banana when I get home from work, and then eat dinner after I run.

For morning runs, I eat some toast, or cerial before running.

I am used to eating big dinners at Disney. I have to avoid that before the race.

-dave

bdevil4

I am a bit worried about the dinner situation, too. I have dinner reservations at 5:50 on Saturday (I will be vacationing with 2 WDW first-timers, so I'm trying not to let the race affect the rest of the trip), and I am debating how much/what I'm going to be able to eat. It's the buffet at 1900 Park Fare, so at least I'll be able to pick and choose. I've never run a half before either, so I'm not even sure what the "appropriate" pre-race eating schedule would be. Just so long as I don't get sick on Mickey Mouse or something...;)

joel_maxwell

I am a bit worried about the dinner situation, too. I have dinner reservations at 5:50 on Saturday (I will be vacationing with 2 WDW first-timers, so I'm trying not to let the race affect the rest of the trip), and I am debating how much/what I'm going to be able to eat. It's the buffet at 1900 Park Fare, so at least I'll be able to pick and choose. I've never run a half before either, so I'm not even sure what the "appropriate" pre-race eating schedule would be. Just so long as I don't get sick on Mickey Mouse or something...;)
:lol: Ive completed 2 to date and I will say that the bolded is NOT good news. Ha.

All in moderation, but if you want to avoid getting sick, side stitch or worse... Id eat light. It also depends on how hard you run.

fmingo36

Original Poster
I was so worried about being tired I didn't even think about eating before the race.

We are staying at the cabins at Fort Wilderness and decided Saturday would be our chill out, hang by the pool and explore the campgrounds day. No parks for us on Saturday.

Because we are staying at the cabins we'll have our own kitchen so I guess I can make a decent pre-race meal without over-doing it. I also will pack some protein bars and I'll scoff one down before getting to the starting line.

I just hope all of this goes as planned though. I was VERY sick for the Princess 1/2 Marathon in March. I didn't eat or drink anything the day before the race. I pretty much ran that on 1/2 of a banana and very little water.

Blueliner

I have been mixing it up a good bit, but I have been doing most of my longer runs in the late afternoon or evening. This is due more to my current scheduling issues than a specific intent to simulate the night start.

Like a lot of you guys, I am more concerned with the eating schedule in the days/hours leading up to the race. Right now, I'm thinking a high carb dinner on Friday night, followed by a high carb (but relatively light)breakfast on Saturday morning, should be sufficient and timely for a half-marathon. I'll try to keep things light and bland for lunch and dinner. More than anything else, I'll try to make sure I'm drinking a lot of water (and maybe a few energy drinks), from about Wedensday through the start of the race.

joel_maxwell

I have been mixing it up a good bit, but I have been doing most of my longer runs in the late afternoon or evening. This is due more to my current scheduling issues than a specific intent to simulate the night start.

Like a lot of you guys, I am more concerned with the eating schedule in the days/hours leading up to the race. Right now, I'm thinking a high carb dinner on Friday night, followed by a high carb (but relatively light)breakfast on Saturday morning, should be sufficient and timely for a half-marathon. I'll try to keep things light and bland for lunch and dinner. More than anything else, I'll try to make sure I'm drinking a lot of water (and maybe a few energy drinks), from about Wedensday through the start of the race.
Yep, it isnt what you eat the day of the race, it is the days that lead up to the race. If you eat a lot of carby foods (not to many), your body will store that glycogen and all will be good.

I love carbs. :D

Lets just all hope that we get our "schedule" right and no one has to make pit stops. Oy!

JillC LI

I think if you're trained for the distance, the start time won't matter. I had never run in the evenings before, and last year I did the TOT 13K which started at 10pm. It was the final day of our week in the World, and since our family does not believe in downtime, I was quite exhausted overall. I still put in a full day in the parks starting with early EMH that morning, and I was feeling draggy by mid-afternoon. However, when I got to the start line in the dark, adrenaline kicked in, and I was fine staying up that late running. The only mistake I made - but I'd probably do it again - was eating a huge meal at Le Cellier at 8pm right before the race! I say I'd do it again because it was the first time that we were able to get an ADR there, so I wouldn't give up that opportunity, but if I was being smart, I would have eaten a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner that day. Good luck in the race! :wave:

joel_maxwell

I think if you're trained for the distance, the start time won't matter. I had never run in the evenings before, and last year I did the TOT 13K which started at 10pm. It was the final day of our week in the World, and since our family does not believe in downtime, I was quite exhausted overall. I still put in a full day in the parks starting with early EMH that morning, and I was feeling draggy by mid-afternoon. However, when I got to the start line in the dark, adrenaline kicked in, and I was fine staying up that late running. The only mistake I made - but I'd probably do it again - was eating a huge meal at Le Cellier at 8pm right before the race! I say I'd do it again because it was the first time that we were able to get an ADR there, so I wouldn't give up that opportunity, but if I was being smart, I would have eaten a bigger lunch and a smaller dinner that day. Good luck in the race! :wave:
I would have been sick the whole race. Holy Cow. :hurl:

JillC LI

I would have been sick the whole race. Holy Cow. :hurl:

Yeah, not my smartest move. But how can you go to Le Cel for the first time and not try the pretzel bread and not try the cheddar soup and not try the filet? And, of course, since dessert was included on the DDP which we had, how could I not sample one of their desserts! LOL. Stupid to do before a race - and I paid for it - but worth it! :slurp: On the bright side, I was just running the race for the experience of running my first race at Disney, not for speed.

joel_maxwell

Yeah, not my smartest move. But how can you go to Le Cel for the first time and not try the pretzel bread and not try the cheddar soup and not try the filet? And, of course, since dessert was included on the DDP which we had, how could I not sample one of their desserts! LOL. Stupid to do before a race - and I paid for it - but worth it! :slurp: On the bright side, I was just running the race for the experience of running my first race at Disney, not for speed.
LOL... not with all that running thru your system.

All in all, good meal and good running experience. Even if it was a little crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom