Windows 8 Problem

ratherbeinwdw

Original Poster
I just got a call from Technical PC Speedy. They say that all windows computers have a problem which is making programs stop working. I told the guy I had no proof of who he or his company is. He showed me how to get to a page that shows I have 5989 error or warning events and showed me where many programs have stopped working. Has anyone else been called by these people. Is this for real. Should I do what he's telling me to do. I told him that I was not doing anything to my computer until I checked them out. He gave me his number and told me to go to a site for all the information. He had my home address and telephone number. Help. Any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithVH

Drop that like a hot rock. That is a serious scam. Do not go to that site. How do I know? In a prior life I was a Premier Support Engineer for Microsoft.

Some unknown just calls you out of the blue saying you have an error? Highly suspect. I'd report the contact to the FBI.

PUSH

Sounds very sketchy. I'd get out of that as quickly as possible. Don't go to the site, and don't answer the phone if they call again. It's easy to get a hold of an address and telephone number, anyone can do it, especially with the information provided on the internet these days. My guess is your computer is running fine right now, and your programs are running with no problems.

PUSH

I just wanted to say that I heard on the news just now that this very thing that happened to you is happening to many people. It is a scam, and if you end up downloading what they tell you to, then they will have access to your entire computer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just got a call from Technical PC Speedy. They say that all windows computers have a problem which is making programs stop working. I told the guy I had no proof of who he or his company is. He showed me how to get to a page that shows I have 5989 error or warning events and showed me where many programs have stopped working. Has anyone else been called by these people. Is this for real. Should I do what he's telling me to do. I told him that I was not doing anything to my computer until I checked them out. He gave me his number and told me to go to a site for all the information. He had my home address and telephone number. Help. Any suggestions.

This is a SCAM! Do no go to their site, do not call them back. There is a really good article over at Ars Technica about this. One of their writers got one of these calls and just played along to see what would happen. The errors and warning he showed you, which were in the Windows event log, are not unusual even for a computer that is operating properly.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ws-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

ratherbeinwdw

Original Poster
This is a SCAM! Do no go to their site, do not call them back. There is a really good article over at Ars Technica about this. One of their writers got one of these calls and just played along to see what would happen. The errors and warning he showed you, which were in the Windows event log, are not unusual even for a computer that is operating properly.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ws-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/
Thank you. I did go to their website to check them out and knew immediately they were simply trying to sell me something. They haven't called back. I hope by going to the site, they weren't able to get any info from my computer. I didn't give them any info at all, not even my name, but now I'm worried that I even checked them out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom