Will WDW be able to Compete Against Universal

wdwfan4ver

I don’t really buy the whole competition aspect. Yes they compete to an extent, but the core audiences are wildly different.

A young family with young children (who is the core audience for Disney) aren’t going to go to universal studios because by and large they don’t meet the height requirement for many of the rides and the kids aren’t familiar with the ips.

From the age of 2 - kids are familiar with Anna, Elsa , Mickey , Minnie , etc.

Universal is great for what is is, and has its own portfolio of ips that are great and exciting and I love they have a heavier mix of thrills thrown in.

That said, I don’t think Disney will ever be in the forefront to capture the teenage market that is seeking thrill experiences and that’s okay, because while you will win the teenage sub market you will lose out on a lot of younger families.
The core of the audience is getting closer to age of each than you are making it.

I'm pointing to Super Nintendo World. I think People that are Generation X and younger heard of Nintendo. Nintendo video games I believe were always designed with all ages in mind and that means Super Nintendo World as theme park land draws in multiple generations of theme park guests.

If you claim kids don't know what Nintendo is, that tells me the parents going way too overboard in protecting their kids since Nintendo video games are have a reputation of being family friendly.

Also Epic Universe for attractions is better for a younger people than the 2 theme parks Universal has open currently.

GigglesMcSnort

I'm pointing to Super Nintendo World. I think People that are Generation X and younger heard of Nintendo. Nintendo video games I believe were always designed with all ages in mind and that means Super Nintendo World as theme park land draws in multiple generations of theme park guests.

If you claim kids don't know what Nintendo is, that tells me the parents going way too overboard in protecting their kids since Nintendo video games are have a reputation of being family friendly.

Also Epic Universe for attractions is better for a younger people than the 2 theme parks Universal has open currently.
Everybody and their dog, young and old, knows Nintendo and their franchises. There isn't anybody on the planet who doesn't know Super Mario and Donkey Kong, and Pokémon is so ubiquitous that people know it without even realizing its by Nintendo.

Last edited:

NickMaio

The core of the audience is getting closer to age of each than you are making it.

Yup.
Epic will bring the young kids and parents that uni and island could not.

Quietmouse

No I agree. My 2 girls love Mario and many of the ips of Nintendo.

That said, we are also talking about a lane and not a full fledged theme park tied around Nintendo and Pokémon ips.

If that were the case I would be the first in line, but a land is a bit different. Maybe if it was a whole park devoted to Nintendo ips I would be more excited.

Especially nowadays with inflation everyone is so money conscious that I will still end up going to magic kingdom first because my daughters are obsessed with princesses and want to dress up as princesses and meet their favorite princess.

Maybe older kids are different I guess.

GigglesMcSnort

No I agree. My 2 girls love Mario and many of the ips of Nintendo.

That said, we are also talking about a lane and not a full fledged theme park tied around Nintendo and Pokémon ips.

If that were the case I would be the first in line, but a land is a bit different. Maybe if it was a whole park devoted to Nintendo ips I would be more excited.

Especially nowadays with inflation everyone is so money conscious that I will still end up going to magic kingdom first because my daughters are obsessed with princesses and want to dress up as princesses and meet their favorite princess.

Maybe older kids are different I guess.
To be fair, the Super Nintendo land in Universal California is really good (I'd say it's the best theming in that park, even better than the Harry Potter stuff). If this is going to be a bigger version of that, I think it will definitely be worth seeing.

Andrew25

Quick Summary:
1723652121853.png

*Please let me know if I'm missing any credible rumors.

2025-26 will be Universal's to take with Epic Universe. Beyond, it's a tight race and I think Disney is giving Universal a run for it's money beyond that. Not defending Disney's inaction to have something ready to go these next 2 years in response to Epic, but they certainly have heard the criticism.

I really hope Universal announces their "Beyond Epic" slate soon, but probably won't happen until Epic's initial marketing plans have been completed.

EatSalsa

Found this from Orlando Buisness Journal from Jeff Polk. Talks about Battle at the Ministry. The ride was rumored to be a Rise of the Resistance killer, now it actually seems like it might be.
IMG_3775.jpeg

BrianLo

Quick Summary:View attachment 809272
*Please let me know if I'm missing any credible rumors.

2025-26 will be Universal's to take with Epic Universe. Beyond, it's a tight race and I think Disney is giving Universal a run for it's money beyond that. Not defending Disney's inaction to have something ready to go these next 2 years in response to Epic, but they certainly have heard the criticism.

I really hope Universal announces their "Beyond Epic" slate soon, but probably won't happen until Epic's initial marketing plans have been completed.

I’m not sure if timelines have changed, I don’t pay as much attention to Universal, but this is sort of what Alicia made things out to be:

Luigi 2027? (Fast tracked, but it’s also not even under construction yet, which makes 2026 too tight)
Fast and Furious coaster 2028?
Pokémon 2030
Zelda very TBD

But it seems like they want a new thing every year, which makes sense. Maybe with 2026 rightfully skipping a beat.

Either way, if most of these things come to be, we all win!

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Found this from Orlando Buisness Journal from Jeff Polk. Talks about Battle at the Ministry. The ride was rumored to be a Rise of the Resistance killer, now it actually seems like it might be.
Damn. This sounds awesome. But it will probably go down as much if not more than rise lol.
I’m not sure if timelines have changed, I don’t pay as much attention to Universal, but this is sort of what Alicia made things out to be:

Luigi 2027? (Fast tracked, but it’s also not even under construction yet, which makes 2026 too tight)
Pokémon 2030
Zelda very TBD

But it seems like they want a new thing every year, which makes sense. Maybe with 2026 rightfully skipping a beat.

Universal is pretty efficient with building roller coasters. If they start in 2025 and hit the ground running, they can have F&F up by 2026.

BrianLo

Universal is pretty efficient with building roller coasters. If they start in 2025 and hit the ground running, they can have F&F up by 2026.

I was just basing that on the under construction Hollywood version supposedly not opening until 2026 per Alicia.

Universal will be in the very privileged position that they really don’t need to have something new to market in 2026. Epic will still be spreading word of mouth.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I was just basing that on the under construction Hollywood version supposedly not opening until 2026 per Alicia.

Universal will be in the very privileged position that they really don’t need to have something new to market in 2026. Epic will still be spreading word of mouth.
Depending on if they choose to fast track USF additions over Luigi's for EU. They can deliver a one-two punch with the F&F coaster foe 2027 and Pokemon for 2028.

Mark Dunne

Let’s check some recent grades:

Fantasyland Expansion ‘D’……. over hyped and no E ticket to justify this project; squandered opportunity.

World of Avatar ‘A-‘…….overall it’s considered well done by most

Toy Story Land ‘F’……….a cheap embarrassment with no E ticket—-an abysmal effort; best to never talk about it again.

Galaxy Edge ‘C+’ many came away disappointed considering the expectations, budgeting and marketing

Epcot “overhaul” ‘D-‘ …one hot mess of overhyped changes; way too much down time for such a pathetic delivery.

With a grade point average looking like that based on the last approx 10 years then, ‘no’, Disney won’t be able to answer Universal’s Epic new park.

Universal is gearing up to drop an atomic weapon and Disney will continue to drive around in Sherman tanks
Well your certainly hard hitting ! for me only Fantasy land deserves the F, I'm not sure what you'd expect Toy story land to look like, its colourful, has rides that younger members can ride, ( need a sun shade for the queue of SDD for sure ) if it was that bad SDD would be in the 30 minute queue times, but its 80 plus most of the time, TSM is great , much better the Buzz's spin attraction in MK. plus the whole family can ride this, SWGE, I'm sorry but I'm a SW fan of 77, when i first saw the millennium falcon i had tears in my eyes, never though id see that day that this land would be built, i agree MFSR could be better, they could change the ride to say Tie fighter attack ,or have multiple shows like S.T, and the land could prob be designed around Tatooine (IMO), but thats an age thing, I actually love the new EPCOT design, now if you said a new imagination pavilion is needed, id agree 100% it does, and a new SSE attraction is defo overdue, but GOTG is a superb ride, great fun, and TT will I'm sure be great again. been visiting since 93, an awful lot has changed from back then, and to be honest, the reason were prob getting all these new lands etc, has to do with UEA in 2025 for sure , lets hope it all comes together for a good experience for all us Disney fans, ;)

bwr827

I plan to continue visiting and enjoying both. To my family, a theme park trip to Florida is incomplete without time at both resorts.

Competition is great — leads to more new investments and potentially more value on offer.

Andrew25

Pokémon 2030
Zelda very TBD

Yes, my timeline is aligned w/ most of what Alicia says. I'd imagine Universal will start to really push some projects quicker than they anticipated. Doubt they expected Disney to build this much at (virtually) each park.

MK will always be king in Orlando, but all other 7 (3 WDW, 3 UOR) parks will be fighting each other.

I'd argue Disney is "guaranteed" a day at MK, but after that, all of their parks can be substituted by a Universal park.

Universal does have a lot of work to do at Universal Studios Florida though. It needs serious investment.

Walt Disney1955

Years ago I said that Universal is still miles behind Disney when it comes to guest numbers. That was around the time of Potter being added. Now, not so much. Magic Kingdom is still the park people come to, but other than that Universal and the remaining Disney parks have similar attendance numbers. And what does Disney do to counter this? They take arguably the most popular ride in the park and replace it with an inferior ride, reshape a beloved Frontierland attraction and plan on gutting a recognizable core of the park in order to put in talking cars. Man, they simply cannot do ANYTHING right anymore. Their announcements make me cringe. There is no reason Carsland can't be added above and beyond what is already in Magic Kingdom. There is space, this isn't California. Meanwhile Universal is adding perhaps their best park starting next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom