Will Universal Keep Using The Simpsons Now That Disney Owns The IP?

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Universal currently has a Simpsons ride at both coasts with both USH and USF both having mini-Springfield themed areas. Now that Disney has officially made the Simpsons "apart of the Disney Family", will Universal want to keep using the Simpsons character and settings like they've done with Marvel? Will Universal want to keep advertising Disney's cheap cash-in phone games?

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
From Inside Universal:
"With the recent completion of the Walt Disney Company’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox, there’s been a lot of talk about what is the status of the Springfield area at the Universal Parks. While there is a contract between Fox and Universal, the terms and conditions are not as public as the agreement between Marvel and Universal – so there are some grey areas that will go unanswered. So what do we know?
[…]
[W]hat exactly does the Disney acquisition of the Simpsons mean for Universal?

Nothing, at the moment.

We know that an agreement between Fox and Universal to use the Simpsons has an end date; what we don’t know is the length of those terms. Rumors indicate the duration is a 20 year licensing agreement, putting the end year at 2028. However, unlike the Marvel contract, there is no “in perpetuity” clause or region-based restrictions.
[…]
The question is what happens after the alleged 2028 end date.
[…]
The most likely scenario is Universal will continue to cut Disney a check until the contract ends in 2028, and decides its time to move on and replace Springfield.
[…]
With the sales of Duff Beer, Flaming Moe’s and those huge donuts, Springfield is still a decently lucrative area; and Fast Food Blvd is one of the most popular quick-service spots in the parks. On the flip side, with the usually mature content of the Simpsons, along with Disney’s focus on other in-house properties, The Simpsons is not a franchise that is an ideal fit in a Disney theme park. From our vantage point, it’s a win-win situation for both sides, and Universal has no reason to replace the property before the contract supposedly ends."

TwilightZone

I think simpsons is fine for now, unless Universal decides to put in a bigger IP. Though if what orlandoparkstop is reporting is true, it seems like Universal no longer wants to replace beloved IPs with new ones, which is why the third park has so much expansion space.

Janir

Maybe They make a deal where Disney re-acquirers the Marvel use IP for handing over the Simpsons use IP in parks in perpetuity? Might be a good deal for both. Disney gets back Marvel which they can make a bigger deal out of then Universal can and Universl keeps Simpsons cash cow.

Weather_Lady

Does anyone even watch the Simpsons on a regular basis anymore?

My kids and their friends watch the reruns (I don't recall what channel, but the Simpsons is on for at least an hour or two, nightly), since they were too young to catch it the first time around, so it's being introduced to a new generation. They were more excited (and caught more of the show references) than DH and I when we visited Universal and toured Springfield.

Jedi Stitch

It will probably be just like when Disney started the Avengers West Cost ;). This was before they had full acquisition, because the anyone looking at the public released Marvel info, it appeared they could do Marvel on the West Coast, but couldn't on the East coast. With that being said, I doubt the Simpson's will not be high on the Disney list, and Universal already did the expansion probably to spite them. Which explains why Uni went full tilt on an IP that was no longer currently relevant. I could see Uni was going away from Marvel, as the city walk already got rid of Marvel Mania lang ago.

Darkbeer1

The Simpson's is the longest running prime time TV show ever. Last year it overtook Gunsmoke.

It does very well in ratings, and is translated in many different languages giving it a world wide audience. It is very relevant and merchandise sales in the parks are strong.

Rich T

The Simpsons, in its prime, was a wonderful show. I imagine it's still better than most prime time television, but I haven't watched it in a long time.

But despite being a smart and funny show with some great characters, Matt Groening's Springfield is a dismal, cynical world and the character designs are intentionally ugly. None of this belongs in any current Disney park. Ok, maybe either of the two studio parks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom