Will the parks really be dead at the end of August?

Disstevefan1

I do expect a lot of people,
But I suspect more in December and January because RotR opens in those months for WDW and DLR

I agree, December will be worse! Free dining AND RotR opening, December will be super mobbed. Disney needs the big numbers! This is why they brought back free dining in December, knowing RotR will also be opening.

Disney will hit their numbers for their shareholders, but the guest experience will suffer because of the mobs, but from Disney's standpoint, the number one priority is the shareholders, so it will be mission accomplished for Disney.

Disstevefan1

I'll be gone on the 28th.

Oh in that case I think you will be fine!!! I think you will experience WDW as it was meant to be experienced.
Don't worry about the locals. There are many locals that will not renew their annual pass due to the 25 percent jump in annual pass prices.

Trackmaster

SWGE opens end of Aug.....sooooooo
Prob going to be quite busy.

And that wasn't a coincidence. Disney opened GE then because they knew it would be dead that time of the year and they wanted to give September a shot in the arm. But even for the least responsible of parents, pulling your kids from school that early in the year is a bit of a step too far. Its probably going to be mostly young professionals, empty nesters, , and locals.

And if you've been following Disneyland, GE has been pretty empty and its been concerning to the company. Its possible that this might be a bust over here too.

One thing I was going to add that follows some of the rest of the conversation: Disney pulls from families across the planet: every school district has a different schedule and every district has a different schedule overseas. Thus, from October through May, most of that time is filled in with weeks where somewhere in the world school is out. November has Thanksgiving and fall breaks. December has winter break and Christmas. January has some winter breaks (and parents who really can't pass up going from -10 degrees to 70 degrees for a week), I'm not sure what February has, but it was crowded as heck this year, March-April is dominated by spring break, and May has field trips and some schools are out by then.

I'm not sure about October either, but it seems crowded for some reason.

drizgirl

And if you've been following Disneyland, GE has been pretty empty and its been concerning to the company. Its possible that this might be a bust over here too.
DLR is ruled by APs in a way WDW never has been and never will be. And most of those DLR APs are still blocked out. Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

DLR is rules by APs in a way WDW never has or never will be. And most of those DLR APs are still blocked out. Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying. I can understand why WDW is so tourist friendly, but I'm surprised that DLR isn't. Wouldn't LA have a lot of appeal for tourists?

Disstevefan1

DLR is rules by APs in a way WDW never has or never will be. And most of those DLR APs are still blocked out. Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Agreed. Disneyland is a LOCAL park and Disney has re worked their AP programs and as @drizgirl said above, APs are still blocked out at Disneyland.

WDW is an international resort. Its gonna be mobbed even though Disney has taken steps at WDW with the huge 25 percent increase in AP prices. I suspect many folks will not renew their APs, but even with that, WDW is so over crowded already, I am not sure the 25 percent increase in AP prices will help reduce the crowds coming for GE the opening.

Time will tell..... It will be interesting to watch...

Tank Man

I'm going end of October and hoping it'll be okay since ROTR won't be open yet. fingers crossed.
I believe people canceled there visit or rescheduled because my family ended up not going because RotR won’t be open until Winter and I bet a lot of people out there did the same as RotR is supposed to be the big attraction

danyoung56

WDW is gonna be mobbed! GE opens on Aug. 29th!

Disneyland is finding that the crowds are staying away in droves. I'm guessing that WDW will do the same thing. Everyone is expecting wall to wall crowds, so most people stay home, which eliminates the crowds that they were afraid of. Strange logic, no?

Disstevefan1

Disneyland is finding that the crowds are staying away in droves. I'm guessing that WDW will do the same thing. Everyone is expecting wall to wall crowds, so most people stay home, which eliminates the crowds that they were afraid of. Strange logic, no?

I hope your logic works for WDW, it would be nice to experience WDW like the "old days".

But I think Disneyland being more of a local park, is seeing lower crowds because their APs are blacked out and they just recently raised the AP prices.

WDW is a international resort, WDW really whats to discourage APs, so much so, the just raised APs prices by 25 percent!

I think its going to be crowded in WDW when GE opens, and I also expect the month of DECEMBER in WDW is going to be MOBBED, RotR opens Dec. 5 AND FREE DINING most of the month of December!

Tank Man

I hope your logic works for WDW, it would be nice to experience WDW like the "old days".

But I think Disneyland being more of a local park, is seeing lower crowds because their APs are blacked out and they just recently raised the AP prices.

WDW is a international resort, WDW really whats to discourage APs, so much so, the just raised APs prices by 25 percent!

I think its going to be crowded in WDW when GE opens, and I also expect the month of DECEMBER in WDW is going to be MOBBED, RotR opens Dec. 5 AND FREE DINING most of the month of December!
Yeah,
I bet it will be bad, the predictions might be wrong for “low” crowds, also the parks do have low numbers and Avatar has a similar thing, like no one showed up for it then it got more and more popular as it was praised for FoP being amazing. The parks will be mobbed on the 50th though as always.

kbmum

Florida has absolutely zero appeal in the summertime. The notherners are having the time of their lives in the one time of the year that its actually fun and the sun is out. And they see Florida as a 100 degrees, humid gator infested land full of storms and hurricanes in the summer.

Its much more appealing to visit when you're shoveling 20 feet of snow out of your driveway and its 70 and perfect in Orlando. Going in the summer means that you really don't want to pull your kids from school, and/or don't want to fight the busiest times of the year in Florida.

As a northerner, I disagree. I much prefer Disney World in the summer. My college kids are out of school so we can go for longer than a week, packing is easy, and I don't worry about any of us getting sick right before the trip (not that it can't happen, but it's less likely). The one time of year I don't want to go is in the winter. Colds and flu are making the rounds, can't have the kids miss a week of school, and I don't want my flights delayed or cancelled because of snow or a nor'easter.

Raineman

As a northerner, I disagree. I much prefer Disney World in the summer. My college kids are out of school so we can go for longer than a week, packing is easy, and I don't worry about any of us getting sick right before the trip (not that it can't happen, but it's less likely). The one time of year I don't want to go is in the winter. Colds and flu are making the rounds, can't have the kids miss a week of school, and I don't want my flights delayed or cancelled because of snow or a nor'easter.
If a last-minute opportunity to visit WDW in the summer came up, I would take it, but I don't think I would ever plan a trip there in the summer. I agree with @Trackmaster as far as the bad points of a summer visit and the good points of a fall/winter visit. We get hot and humid for a good part of the summer where I live (in fact, last week, our temps and humidity level were higher than Orlando), so escaping to the warmer central Florida when our weather here is cool/cold is a big plus. Also, walking multiple miles around a theme park in 100 degree weather is not really appealing to me either-that may be due to the fact that I have lived my whole life in a northern climate.

Tank Man

I remember when I went for my spring break during the winter months (that is called a strange place, ain’t no Texas). The flight got delayed for a whole day and we sat there doing nothing. The heat never has bothered me to as I seem resistant to heat (limit is around 112 degrees, then I don’t like it). But the sun is always out on those days so there is nothing to do about that but sunscreen can counterpart that so yeah, going in the summer might be better

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom