Will the "Other Side" of Disney Springs Be Rebuilt?

totchos

Personally I love the transition into DS. I know most dont like the new town center section but at least it didn’t replace anything old to my knowledge (just parking lot I presume??). Plus I would say that section is catered mostly towards locals with the more common stores like Sephora/Free People. I know whenever my friends and I go to DS, the town center is the first place they hit up. Plus the articifical springs that they built are very pretty, especially at night. As for the marketplace, I love thats its still relatively original. Not a huge fan of the Disney store transformation personally. I get that they were trying to have the consistent theme throughout but I think having one huge, over the top store was fun and it didnt seem out of place to me. The landing I think is great. I love the atmosphere at the Boathouse (reminds me of the keys), The Edison is nice nightime edition, love the clubby feel of STK, etc. And last but not least I think the West Side is awesome (minus the removal of Disney Quest of course). I love the huge buildings, all the lights, the elevated train tracks, the food truck park, the partyish atmosphere of Splitsville, Bongos, and HoB. Now when Cirque reopens itll be even better hopefully. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant^ lol

Imagineer777

I know the chance of this happening is very low, but I would LOVE if Disney added a California Screaming-type pier roller-coaster to Disney Springs across the edge of where the huge parking lot above Cirque and House of Blues is. I always thought that Disney Springs has theming that is on-par with some lands at the parks, and even if they charged $15 per ride, I know I would still do it multiple times!

gamblepsu

I know the chance of this happening is very low, but I would LOVE if Disney added a California Screaming-type pier roller-coaster to Disney Springs across the edge of where the huge parking lot above Cirque and House of Blues is. I always thought that Disney Springs has theming that is on-par with some lands at the parks, and even if they charged $15 per ride, I know I would still do it multiple times!
Eh... it's confusing/annoying enough to explain to the kids that it costs extra to do the carousel and train things there...

Kman101

Personally I love the transition into DS. I know most dont like the new town center section but at least it didn’t replace anything old to my knowledge (just parking lot I presume??). Plus I would say that section is catered mostly towards locals with the more common stores like Sephora/Free People. I know whenever my friends and I go to DS, the town center is the first place they hit up. Plus the articifical springs that they built are very pretty, especially at night. As for the marketplace, I love thats its still relatively original. Not a huge fan of the Disney store transformation personally. I get that they were trying to have the consistent theme throughout but I think having one huge, over the top store was fun and it didnt seem out of place to me. The landing I think is great. I love the atmosphere at the Boathouse (reminds me of the keys), The Edison is nice nightime edition, love the clubby feel of STK, etc. And last but not least I think the West Side is awesome (minus the removal of Disney Quest of course). I love the huge buildings, all the lights, the elevated train tracks, the food truck park, the partyish atmosphere of Splitsville, Bongos, and HoB. Now when Cirque reopens itll be even better hopefully. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant^ lol

As someone who really had no interest in the former Downtown Disney (I sadly missed the boat on Pleasure Island; wasn't of age when it was open but I still think closing Adventurer's Club was a mistake), I make much more of an effort to go to Disney Springs. I really like what they've done, personally. I know people don't like hearing this, but it's a mall and it's there to serve a purpose. I think they've really done a good job getting interesting stores and restaurants in there.

The point of Town Center was to capture those that are going off to outlet malls. I know some don't like that, but it is what it is.

I think some resented it because they weren't getting Pleasure Island back. I think some resented it because they thought the investment should go to the parks. But Disney Springs was needed, IMO. They did a very nice job. Not saying you of course, but I really don't understand the hate it gets and some seemed really hopeful it would fail.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
The stores come in handy. I absolutely needed a pair of sneakers after mine decided to torture me. Had a great experience and got fantastic sneakers at the Fit2Run store. It was then I saw the genius In the new Springs. I’m sure the West Side reimagining will be a similar hate then love experience.

eddie104

I wonder will the West Side get more of a Pleasure Island oriented renovation with more nightclubs ???

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Disney Springs is one of the best (non park) additions to WDW in the last decade. I really believe that anyone who seriously thinks that Downtown Disney, what I knew of it form 2008 to 2015, was better than Springs is super duper ill in the head. The former was an absolute crap hole that deserved to be burned down. The re-imagining is beautiful and looks nothing like any shopping mall I've seen in Florida.

I agree,

The issue is most people want the addition of the Town Center shops and restaurants without the loss of the Pleasure Island Nightclubs.

As you say, it is now better than 2008-2015, but Pleasure Island of the 1990s to early 2000s was good. Even if they kept a small number of clubs it would be an improvement on the current Landing area that is far too focused on dining with almost no entertainment available. I really miss the Comedy Warehouse.

winstongator

Have you done the Void experience? I never did Disney Quest, but really enjoyed the Void.

I prefer the current DS to DTD. My wife loves the new Town Center section, and she is not alone in her shopping habits. I like Uniqlo where I can get a decent Disney Tee for less than $20.

TrojanUSC

As someone who really had no interest in the former Downtown Disney (I sadly missed the boat on Pleasure Island; wasn't of age when it was open but I still think closing Adventurer's Club was a mistake), I make much more of an effort to go to Disney Springs. I really like what they've done, personally. I know people don't like hearing this, but it's a mall and it's there to serve a purpose. I think they've really done a good job getting interesting stores and restaurants in there.

The point of Town Center was to capture those that are going off to outlet malls. I know some don't like that, but it is what it is.

I think some resented it because they weren't getting Pleasure Island back. I think some resented it because they thought the investment should go to the parks. But Disney Springs was needed, IMO. They did a very nice job. Not saying you of course, but I really don't understand the hate it gets and some seemed really hopeful it would fail.

Pleasure Island was built because Disney was losing revenue to off-site nightlife options (Church Street Station etc). Disney Springs was built because Disney was losing people to the outlets and Florida Mall.

Also that area of Orlando is without a "lifestyle center," the new industry term for a nicely designed outdoor mall, which are sprouting up all over the country. Orlando has this in Winter Park but that's 30+ minutes away. There was a market for someone to built it, Disney or otherwise - which is why it attracts a lot of locals, too.

geekza

Let's face it, ever since Eisner came in, Disney has been building things in order to try and draw business away from other folks who were making money off of something rather than building things that others try and emulate. Disney/MGM was built to combat Universal. Animal Kingdom was built to battle Busch Gardens Tampa. Pleasure Island was built to go up against Church St. Station, and now, Disney Springs was built to combat outside shopping complexes. It's probably a good thing that the Holy Land Experience isn't a huge draw in the area or we might soon be riding Donald's Ark Adventure.

winstongator

Yes. They'll be adding a Wreck-it Ralph scenario.
This was one of my initial visions after doing it. My imagining was for Marvel - is a non-park Marvel VR experience within the contract? I wondered how fast they could spin from one scenario to another. Aren't they shifting from 2 Star Wars scenarios to 1 SW, 1 WiR? You could have a SW specific spot, but with the scenario changing. I couldn't see myself doing that scenario 5 times, but 5 different scenarios?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This was one of my initial visions after doing it. My imagining was for Marvel - is a non-park Marvel VR experience within the contract? I wondered how fast they could spin from one scenario to another. Aren't they shifting from 2 Star Wars scenarios to 1 SW, 1 WiR? You could have a SW specific spot, but with the scenario changing. I couldn't see myself doing that scenario 5 times, but 5 different scenarios?

There's a section of the contract that deals with Marvel running a "Marvel Action Universe" store/arcade which in includes VR. Marvel can indeed rund such a thing East of the Mississippi with any of the Marvel characters it wants with these caveats:

1. It is unknown whether licensing Marvel characters to a third party to run such a VR arcade would apply or if it has to be Marvel itself.​
2. Can't be within 60 miles of a Uni park using Marvel character <whomp whomp>​

So, given the 60 mile exclusion zone, it won't happen, at least not in Orlando. The Void has centers around the world and they'd be able to have Marvel scenarios there.

WhatJaneSays

There's a section of the contract that deals with Marvel running a "Marvel Action Universe" store/arcade which in includes VR. Marvel can indeed rund such a thing East of the Mississippi with any of the Marvel characters it wants with these caveats:

1. It is unknown whether licensing Marvel characters to a third party to run such a VR arcade would apply or if it has to be Marvel itself.​
2. Can't be within 60 miles of a Uni park using Marvel character <whomp whomp>​

So, given the 60 mile exclusion zone, it won't happen, at least not in Orlando. The Void has centers around the world and they'd be able to have Marvel scenarios there.

There have been a number of licensed events within the zone that have not causes any issues. Marvel Universe Live has played at Amway for at least 2 tours and that's less that 10 miles from Universal. As long as it's a 3rd party it seems like they're allowing it.

Universal may choose to push it because it's more directly benefiting Disney. (But they also haven't called them on the use of the Marvel logo on a Disney run store - so who knows?)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There have been a number of licensed events within the zone that have not causes any issues. Marvel Universe Live has played at Amway for at least 2 tours and that's less that 10 miles from Universal. As long as it's a 3rd party it seems like they're allowing it.

Universal may choose to push it because it's more directly benefiting Disney. (But they also haven't called them on the use of the Marvel logo on a Disney run store - so who knows?)

Well... even the Marvel Movies played in the theaters in City Walk!

The contract doesn't cover movies or live shows. It covers theme parks, simulators, and VR quite explicitly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom