WIll The Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery Affect Mission Space?

t3techcom18

Original Poster
I think so. I've been thinking about it for the past couple of days and today after watching the launch.

After I've been hearing that Mission Space is literally low on people, most probably because they're afraid of what happened with the little boy, then you have people who can't go on it, and people who just avoid it. I think that with the revival of the space program at NASA, will create more interest to actually feel what it's like to be an astronaut. It would generate more interest, but also more crowds and people that will simply be awed and thinking what it's like.

I heard from the reporters not so long ago, that NASA themselves are going to begin construction on a space shuttle experience, that is a multi-part ride. First, you go to a theatre and see the history of spaceflight; then, you go into another theater where there are several effects, making you think that you are in the seats of astronauts, (which I think is going to be for people who can't do the simulators), and then the third is finally the simulator. I think it's gunna be pretty cool, which they say is gunna open in 2007. Reporters say it's gunna be like Mission Space, but NASA says it will be different.

Empress Room

t3techcom18 said:
After I've been hearing that Mission Space is literally low on people, most probably because they're afraid of what happened with the little boy, then you have people who can't go on it, and people who just avoid it.

I'm not sure what you're "hearing" about M:S or the source of your statement, but I do not believe that there is a credible, verifiable factual basis for your conclusion. I am not aware of any credible source that is reporting low ridership on M:S, either because of the untimely (and still unconnected) death of the child or M:S's reputation for making hypersensitive individuals dizzy or nauseous. In fact, all reports (and my personal experience) indicate that M:S remains as one of Epcot's most popular and innovative experiences.

Having said that, the successful launch (and hopefully return) of Space Shuttle Discovery will most likely have a similar, carryover effect on M:S, but probably no more than any other attraction whose theme is similar to a popular or otherwise newsworthy event (e.g. POTC at the MK after the successful release of the movie by the same name).

lamarvenoy

NASA could not afford anything even remotely close to mission space. We are at a time in history when space exploration is relatively unpopular with the masses and many if not most people feel the money being spent by NASA could be better spent by other agencies.NASA is squeezing every drop it can right now and the money is coming hard fought. Anything it does to simulate flight as an a attraction will be second rate at best. I feel the answer lies in converting NASA into a private company with international support being its main source of revenue.How many probes have they lost at our expense?

Lynx04

Mission Space's popularity is not low. The reason the line is always short is because the attraction has a high capacity.

WDWCP

wdwishes2005 said:
i did too the first ten times, now its kind of annoying.

Yeah, I could see how it would get that way, especially if you've seen it a bunch of times in a relatively short time period.

That's true of just about all of the preshows though for any of the attractions...

KumbaRider

It's still fun everytime.

And about M:S and the 4 year old, most people don't put two and two together and would get on not knowing. The average person probably doesn't remember hearing that on the news when they board. Anyway, the cause is still unknown and probably a pre-existant condition, as unfortunate as it was.

KaliSplash

lamarvenoy said:
NASA could not afford anything even remotely close to mission space. We are at a time in history when space exploration is relatively unpopular with the masses and many if not most people feel the money being spent by NASA could be better spent by other agencies.NASA is squeezing every drop it can right now and the money is coming hard fought. Anything it does to simulate flight as an a attraction will be second rate at best. I feel the answer lies in converting NASA into a private company with international support being its main source of revenue.How many probes have they lost at our expense?

I agree that NASA could not afford to build such an attraction in tight budget times.
However, the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Center, where this attraction is planned, is actually run by a private company, which is indeed planning to build such an attraction, although they have emphasized it will be different from Mission:Space. (I'm thinking shaking seats vs. spinning capsules).
The name of the company escapes me, but it is something like Delaware Parks, or some such.

t3techcom18

Original Poster
Okay, well, thanks for correcting me there guys about the popularity. But yeah, I heard this on the news (I'm a local in Orlando), and it said it was gunna do that....that it was a multi-ride experience, with the shaking seats as part of the 2nd part, the theater, while the 3rd part is the simulators. And yes, I believe that, even though NASA was cut by federal budgeting sometimes, I think they can do this, as long as they can get some outside help. Whatever the case, they are starting to do a competition with MS.

Mark_E

I think it will boost its popularity. I also think that not having a line longer than 10 mins (thats what it normally is when i go) means that they are still at fullish capacity and people dont have to be waiting hours to go on rides.

ChrisH9339

I would definitely say the accident at Mission Space has affected popularity. I've been at Epcot several times since, during peak times when all other attractions have long lines, and not only have I walked right into the briefing rooms, but there have been 5 teams or less in the room.
Even during the slowest times of the year, there is at least a small line to get into the briefing room.
True, I have no official statistics to back this up, but my own eyes are proof enough. That being said, I was at the launch of Discovery yesterday at the KSC press site and I do hope that translates to more visitors for M:S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom