Will the demise of the Eastern Gateway at Disneyland be a death blow for businesses on Harbor? - OCR

The_Mesh_Hatter

This is why I think Anaheim and the Harbor Businesses were so shortsighted on the Eastern Gateway. Disney can effectively move forward without them in the loop and close off access from Harbor if they wanted. For now the PR machine is running right now on both sides on how its positive. But I'm betting most of the opponents of the Eastern Gateway are now even more worried about lost revenue long term.

In reality I'm beginning to think this is a better plan for DLR as a whole as it moves DTD more inline with what they are doing with Disney Springs.

Just imagine how much space they would gain for expansions if they close off the entire Harbor side.

I'd imagine they could just build up a berm there for a decade or so until the hotel sales drop enough to encourage enough people to fold. That's a long walk from Cold Stone to the only entrance to Disneyland Resort, over beyond the Paradise Pier hotel. Currently, only a couple hotels along Harbor spend the money on running shuttles. Then Disney can build their bridge into an area with more space to work with. The only thing standing between direct pedestrian access between the Disneyland/DCA plaza and the inevitable third gate at the Toy Story Lot is the Garden Walk. I've given the Garden Walk a good amount of business. I go there occasionally, so I'm probably a substantial portion of their cliental given what a spooky ghost town it always feels like. It is also inevitable Disney buys this property. The current Garden Walk model is unsustainable, and Disney can just block out Harbor businesses until they bleed to death as well.

The Disneys send their regards.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd imagine they could just build up a berm there for a decade or so until the hotel sales drop enough to encourage enough people to fold. Then Disney can build their bridge into an area with more space to work with. The only thing standing between direct pedestrian access between the Disneyland/DCA plaza and the inevitable third gate at the Toy Story Lot is the Garden Walk. I've given the Garden Walk a good amount of business. I go there occasionally, so I'm probably a substantial portion of their cliental given what a spooky ghost town it always feels like. It is also inevitable Disney buys this property. The current Garden Walk model is unsustainable, and Disney can just block out Harbor businesses until they bleed to death as well.

The Disneys send their regards.

I agree, the possibilities are endless now. This is probably a blessing in-disguise for Disney and Anaheim and the Harbor businesses will end up kicking themselves for making a bone-headed mistake.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
The current Garden Walk model is unsustainable, and Disney can just block out Harbor businesses until they bleed to death as well.

But the place is turning around, the JW Marriott is hoping to break ground next month, the Time Shares are getting funding currently, and should start next year (The area on top of the Parking Structure, and the Second Hotel has to start in the next few years. The House of Blues has been a big help, and all the Main Restaurants, including Fire + Ice have waits many times over the week. The Convention Center Expansion has helped bring in new customers. And just like DtD, the retail end of things are struggling, as the entire retail experience is changing and moving away from malls.

So AGW is doing fairly well currently, and breaking even, so when the new projects are finished, it won't be available for sale.

DLR92

But the place is turning around, the JW Marriott is hoping to break ground next month, the Time Shares are getting funding currently, and should start next year (The area on top of the Parking Structure, and the Second Hotel has to start in the next few years. The House of Blues has been a big help, and all the Main Restaurants, including Fire + Ice have waits many times over the week. The Convention Center Expansion has helped bring in new customers. And just like DtD, the retail end of things are struggling, as the entire retail experience is changing and moving away from malls.

So AGW is doing fairly well currently, and breaking even, so when the new projects are finished, it won't be available for sale.

And Disney had their chance of buying out the mall. But they ignored the sale of the mall back then for a freaking good deal too.

D

Deleted member 107043

And Disney had their chance of buying out the mall. But they ignored the sale of the mall back then for a freaking good deal too.

From what I remember Disney had an opportunity to purchase the land before AGW was built, back when a 3rd theme park was on the drawing board, and it passed. Yet another reason why I don't think Disney is all that passionate about investing in Anaheim.

DLR92

From what I remember Disney had an opportunity to purchase the land before AGW was built, back when a 3rd theme park was on the drawing board, and it passed. Yet another reason why I don't think Disney is all that passionate about investing in Anaheim.

With all the recent land purchase, I am sure they are kicking themselves. Land was probably cheaper back then. lol

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Not passionate about investing in Anaheim? Just because its not what you would have done doesn't mean they aren't passionate. There could have been many reasons why they didn't buy AGW including could have been not a good deal at the time.

The fact they are spending lots into the resort indicates to me they are passionate about investing. Things take time, capital, and political will on the parts of the community and the corporation. There are a lot of things going on in the background that we don't see.

DLR92

Not passionate about investing in Anaheim? Just because its not what you would have done doesn't mean they aren't passionate. There could have been many reasons why they didn't buy AGW including could have been not a good deal at the time.

The fact they are spending lots into the resort indicates to me they are passionate about investing. Things take time, capital, and political will on the parts of the community and the corporation. There are a lot of things going on in the background that we don't see.

It seem like back then where AGS sits now, there was some issues with Disney had wanted the land for parking use, but the city was more interested in retail development for that plot of land when an investor had told intentions of building a mall.

Kiwiduck

I haven't heard anything about Disney closing their park entrance on Harbor Blvd (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I think those of us who like paying between $100-$200 for a room rather than $500-$600 will continue to make use of the motels on Harbor, that come with relatively cheap prices and short walks to the park. I wish they would build a moderate level resort like they have at WDW but Bob Iger seems to have lost my phone number.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I haven't heard anything about Disney closing their park entrance on Harbor Blvd (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I think those of us who like paying between $100-$200 for a room rather than $500-$600 will continue to make use of the motels on Harbor, that come with relatively cheap prices and short walks to the park. I wish they would build a moderate level resort like they have at WDW but Bob Iger seems to have lost my phone number.

Nothing has been announced, but for future DCA expansion, something has to change. either the Eastern gateway gets built or Disney will close it, but that is a few years from now.

D.Silentu

I have to say that I too make use of those hotels and the park's east entrance on my annual trip. It makes all kinds of sense that Disney would try and starve out the surrounding area by closing off that side, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Well, the story is the top story on the front page of the print edition of the OC Register.

A

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/OCR-Disneyland-Front-Page/i-kTngfc5/A

Jedi Stitch

And there it is! The businesses that are coat tailing onto Disney are pushing back so hard the meal ticket that they missed the picture. Yes I could see making the East gateway was going to reduce the easiness of the Harbor business have access to Disney. That is the price to pay for living off the Disney Teat. Disney finally expands and they think woe is me i'm getting pushed out. Sell for a pretty profit and rebuild down the road and buy a shuttle van, you are still going to be able to make bank.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom