Will SWGE cause Disneyland to surpass Magic Kingdom in attendance?

joshjoned

Original Poster
Disneyland has more attractions and could potentially process more people than Magic Kingdom in Disney World. I think it is very possible that Disneyland could surpass Magic Kingdom in at least 2019 if not 2020 and beyond given that Disneyland will have about half of the year with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge being open and Magic Kingdom has bupkis.

With SWGE being added to DL, I certainly don't see an argument for MK being better as a park unless the size of the castle or park matters to certain people. I know it is subjective obviously, but with the two parks being so similar, it seems to me that DL just has MK beat despite being smaller.

Walt Disney1955

MK's small edge over DL is entirely due to it being part of a much larger resort. I think with SWGE being added to DL, where as MK is NOT getting SWGE (HS is), I think it's possible it can either surpass or at least damn near tie MK in attendance. The parks are roughly separated by about 2 million visitors, which is impressive for DL considering it's a considerably smaller park, and part of a MUCH smaller resort.

As for Universal, they haven't surpassed ANY park at WDW, yet.

With Universal they are still literally both half the attendance of Magic Kingdom. I don't think they'll ever surpass it. They are both at the level of DHS and below Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I think year after year it is telling to see that Magic Kingdom is still #1. Considering there are Disney parks in Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo with significantly more of the population than Orlando. Not to mention Anaheim and surrounding area blow it out of the water when it comes to population as well. I just figure if any of them were going to pass the Magic Kingdom by now they would have. 2 million is still a lot of guests between the two. One section of the park likely doesn't change this. Just my thought.

joshjoned

Original Poster
With Universal they are still literally both half the attendance of Magic Kingdom. I don't think they'll ever surpass it. They are both at the level of DHS and below Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I think year after year it is telling to see that Magic Kingdom is still #1. Considering there are Disney parks in Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo with significantly more of the population than Orlando. Not to mention Anaheim and surrounding area blow it out of the water when it comes to population as well. I just figure if any of them were going to pass the Magic Kingdom by now they would have. 2 million is still a lot of guests between the two. One section of the park likely doesn't change this. Just my thought.

you underestimate the popularity of Star Wars.

justintheharris

With SWGE being added to DL, I certainly don't see an argument for MK being better as a park unless the size of the castle or park matters to certain people. I know it is subjective obviously, but with the two parks being so similar, it seems to me that DL just has MK beat despite being smaller.
I absolutely agree. I'm an Orlando local and love Disneyland with all my heart. I think it easily bests Magic Kingdom.

Walt Disney1955

you underestimate the popularity of Star Wars.

Just taking a look on Wikipedia and since 2008 (the farthest back I can see) MK is routinely 2 million guests - at least - ahead of Disneyland. The odd time it has been just one million or so. 2017 is the latest ranking and we are talking about the difference of 2.15 million guests. I honestly don't know why Disneyland doesn't get more to be honest with the locals other than I would say what the capacity allows. That it what gets me thinking it just may not ever surpass it. We'll see.

joshjoned

Original Poster
Just taking a look on Wikipedia and since 2008 (the farthest back I can see) MK is routinely 2 million guests - at least - ahead of Disneyland. The odd time it has been just one million or so. 2017 is the latest ranking and we are talking about the difference of 2.15 million guests. I honestly don't know why Disneyland doesn't get more to be honest with the locals other than I would say what the capacity allows. That it what gets me thinking it just may not ever surpass it. We'll see.

2.15 million guests difference before SWGE being added to DL, which is probably the most anticipated "land" Disney has ever had.

It could get close. If MK maintains an edge, I guarantee it will be less than 1 million. Maybe a few thousand, at most.

The Pho

Does anyone have a list for attendance comparisons throughout the years between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom? Obviously Disneyland had no competition between 1955-'71 but by 1972 what were the numbers like in comparison? Because for the last 20 years (at least) that I have seen Magic Kingdom always has a slight edge over Disneyland. People thought Universal would overtake MK and it didn't. I don't think Disneyland will either.

I know I’ve seen earlier numbers but it’s the best I could find at the moment.

Last edited:

Walter Elias Disney

Something to ponder...attendance figures are based on the first park you enter for the day...Disneyland has 2 parks-with an emphasis of guests going through the gates of Disneyland first...where Walt Disney World has 4 parks-with an emphasis of guests entering the Magic Kingdom first. Now...Think of proximity of Disney California Adventure to the gates of Disneyland. Now ...Think of the time spent on transportation to enter the other 3 existing parks at Walt Disney World. It is highly possibly for Disneyland to surpass the attendance figure for a period of months in 2019. Where Disney's Hollywood Studios will see an increase for 2020. Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are truly DESTINATIONS for many...and a way for adults to share through the eyes of their children the Magic they experienced once-Nothing better than to bring first time guests with you. SO....Yes, Disneyland will receive a definite bump...that is why infrastructure is being beefed up currently to handle the HUGE crowds that will enter the turnstiles. Same thing is happening at Disney's Hollywood Studios. People visiting the Anaheim and Orlando area want to experience the magic of Disney...and that will always be Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. In other words...If you're going to see Mickey you're going to the main parks.

Walt Disney1955

View attachment 352551View attachment 352552
I know I’ve seen earlier numbers but it’s the best I could find at the moment.

View attachment 352553

Thanks.

Why was there a huge spike in Magic Kingdom attendance from 1996 to 1997? We are talking 3.2 million people. I was there in 1997 and the only thing I can honestly think of would be the 25th anniversary starting in late 1996. Did the pink Castle really elevate people to the level it had for a couple decades after this? I just can't think of another reason why this would happen.

joshjoned

Original Poster
You're not talking about WDW as a whole though, you're asking what a land at another park will do in terms of attendance at Magic Kingdom.

If people come to Disney because of SWGE...could that increase in attendance at HS not spill into other parks?

MickeyLuv'r

With Universal they are still literally both half the attendance of Magic Kingdom. I don't think they'll ever surpass it. They are both at the level of DHS and below Epcot and Animal Kingdom.
Here's the #'s I found for 2017:
MK = 20,450,000
AK= 12,500,000
Epcot=12,200,000
HS = 10,722,000

US (Orlando)= was 10,198,000
IoA = 9,549,000
Universal (Japan)= 14,935,000

(source: TEA/AECOM 2017 Theme Index and Museum Index: Global Attractions Attendance Report)

So the Disney parks beat the Universal Orlando parks, but the difference is less than 5% for HS, and only 10% for Epcot. It is entirely possible that individual Universal parks could catch up to the individual Disney parks. (Clearly though total Disney beats total Universal worldwide, and likely will for some time.) It looks like the next official report for 2018 comes out in May.

righttrack

Could the legally fit more people in dl over mk.

Disneyland reached capacity — a ceiling that has never been publicly disclosed but some insiders have said is 80,000 visitors

Phase one non entries at Magic Kingdom begin at aproximately 65,000 people, with an estimated capacity of100,000 guests.

Even with the added space of swge I'm going to say no.

Having experienced New Years Eve in both parks, I can agree with that anecdotally as well

Walt Disney1955

Here's the #'s I found for 2017:
MK = 20,450,000
AK= 12,500,000
Epcot=12,200,000
HS = 10,722,000

US (Orlando)= was 10,198,000
IoA = 9,549,000
Universal (Japan)= 14,935,000

(source: TEA/AECOM 2017 Theme Index and Museum Index: Global Attractions Attendance Report)

So the Disney parks beat the Universal Orlando parks, but the difference is less than 5% for HS, and only 10% for Epcot. It is entirely possible that individual Universal parks could catch up to the individual Disney parks. (Clearly though total Disney beats total Universal worldwide, and likely will for some time.) It looks like the next official report for 2018 comes out in May.

Without the Magic Kingdom then yes. But even DHS beats Universal or is at least comparable.

Nothing against Universal, I love Universal, probably more than most people on these boards do, but there is just not the overall appeal. Part of the problem is that Universal lacks nostalgia compared to Disney. MK might lack it compared to Disneyland, but there is still a good core of the rides that were there in 1971. When you can ride something that your parents rode, or your grandparents rode and it is STILL popular then you will always have the better overall experience than at Universal. That is the Disney secret, the experience. For that reason alone they will always be ahead of Universal.

joshjoned

Original Poster
Without the Magic Kingdom then yes. But even DHS beats Universal or is at least comparable.

Nothing against Universal, I love Universal, probably more than most people on these boards do, but there is just not the overall appeal. Part of the problem is that Universal lacks nostalgia compared to Disney. MK might lack it compared to Disneyland, but there is still a good core of the rides that were there in 1971. When you can ride something that your parents rode, or your grandparents rode and it is STILL popular then you will always have the better overall experience than at Universal. That is the Disney secret, the experience. For that reason alone they will always be ahead of Universal.

This is why USF went from arguably my favorite theme park in Orlando, to being one of my least favorites. They have gotten rid of so many of their classic rides and replaced it with awful 3D dreck everywhere. For years I preferred USF over IOA, but that has changed recently.

Had USF kept many classic rides the way Disney did for MK, I think it would have been better off.

Last edited:

The Pho

People keep talking about turnstile attendance. How about we discuss the money that changes hands PER those numbers. I'd wager that Disney makes a hella lot more per visitor per day than Universal could ever dream. For every guest staying onsite. Sure they may visit Universal but Disney's got them in their clutches. For every guest spending golly knows what on dining, hard ticket events, hard ticket events within hard ticket events, EPCOT year-round food festivals, etc. Bibbidi Bobbidi expansion.

Capacity schmacacity. Disney squeezes every dollar they can now. No matter how their theme parks perform. Universal will never meet those "standards". At least, not in the next 20 years. So long as the next generation of Disney children spend as their parents. Economic shifts notwithstanding. Brand loyalty/cultism/tribalism -- it's what the modern world is all about.
Until Universal makes buying merchandise not a huge pain, that won’t change either. We never buy anything there except food because you can’t ride any of the good rides if you have a bag. Even Six Flags is better in that regard, and Universal is so much better as a park than they are.

MickeyLuv'r

Huh? It has nothing to do with what we personally like, which is why I provided numbers.
For 2017, HS and Epcot came out slightly ahead of Universal Orlando's numbers, but they were within 5% of each other.

Many factors go into people's choices about where they spend their vacation $. Nostalgia is just one. Even at Magic Kingdom, only a few places serve the same kind of food they did in the 1970's. Remember when turkey legs were all over MK?

MickeyLuv'r

Opening day MK attractions that remain, 14 : CBJ, Dumbo, Frontierland Shootin' arcade, HoP, HM, It's a SW, JC, Mad Tea Party, PP, Carrousel, Swiss Family Treehouse, T Speedway, Main St Vehicles, and the Tiki Room.
Attractions that opened in 1971: LS Riverboat
Attractions that opened 1972-1974: Tom Sawyer Island, Pirates

MK now has 39 attractions. So only 35% of the current attractions are original. if I expand that out to the first three years, still only 17/39 or 44% of current attractions date to the first three years the park was open.

CBJ- though largely similar, it underwent a significant update in 2012.It is 5 minutes shorter, with new outfits and props. (One thing removed was this dated fat joke, "That's a mighty big song, Trixie!" with response, "That sure ain't all that's big!")
Dumbo - major revision
HoP - Multiple revisions since Nixon was president in 1971, and the Saturn V rocket was featured, though it mostly remained original until 1993.
HM - gone are the spiders, and the queue is pretty different.
It's SW - no longer sponsored by Mattel, and was changed quite a bit in 2009
JC -the original JC was more serious, not full of jokes as it is now.
PP - queue got significant updates recently, ride has had some small ones over the years
SFR - ? not sure I think it had some updates over the years...
T Speedway- One could say it didn't change much over the years, except it just closed and the track is going to be changed for the 4th time. In the past the track was shortened, and name changed in 1994 and 2008.
Tiki room - was quite different 1998 - 2011, until it changed back to almost original show

So of the original 14, I'd say only about 5 have not significantly changed since the park opened: the Shootin' Arcade (maybe some changes? not sure), Mad tea Party, Carrousel (some changes, but minor), SFR, and Main St Vehicles. I wouldn't call any of those attractions blockbusters. most folks walk right past the arcade and Main St Vehicles.
mind, I realize, as palces go, most WD change has been very gradual, and much of the vibe of the 1970's has remained, but the park has also changed a good deal since the 1970's.

I think we just don't see much of it, because it has been gradual. WDW has done a great job of doing that. I think we also tend to forget some kinds of changes, because we want MK to be the same. Nostalgia kinda goes both ways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom