Will SWGE cause Disneyland to surpass Magic Kingdom in attendance?

The Pho

Opening day MK attractions that remain, 14 : CBJ, Dumbo, Frontierland Shootin' arcade, HoP, HM, It's a SW, JC, Mad Tea Party, PP, Carrousel, Swiss Family Treehouse, T Speedway, Main St Vehicles, and the Tiki Room.
Attractions that opened in 1971: LS Riverboat
Attractions that opened 1972-1974: Tom Sawyer Island, Pirates

MK now has 39 attractions. So only 35% of the current attractions are original. if I expand that out to the first three years, still only 17/39 or 44% of current attractions date to the first three years the park was open.

CBJ- though largely similar, it underwent a significant update in 2012.It is 5 minutes shorter, with new outfits and props. (One thing removed was this dated fat joke, "That's a mighty big song, Trixie!" with response, "That sure ain't all that's big!")
Dumbo - major revision
HoP - Multiple revisions since Nixon was president in 1971, and the Saturn V rocket was featured, though it mostly remained original until 1993.
HM - gone are the spiders, and the queue is pretty different.
It's SW - no longer sponsored by Mattel, and was changed quite a bit in 2009
JC -the original JC was more serious, not full of jokes as it is now.
PP - queue got significant updates recently, ride has had some small ones over the years
SFR - ? not sure I think it had some updates over the years...
T Speedway- One could say it didn't change much over the years, except it just closed and the track is going to be changed for the 4th time. In the past the track was shortened, and name changed in 1994 and 2008.
Tiki room - was quite different 1998 - 2011, until it changed back to almost original show

So of the original 14, I'd say only about 5 have not significantly changed since the park opened: the Shootin' Arcade (maybe some changes? not sure), Mad tea Party, Carrousel (some changes, but minor), SFR, and Main St Vehicles. I wouldn't call any of those attractions blockbusters. most folks walk right past the arcade and Main St Vehicles.
mind, I realize, as palces go, most WD change has been very gradual, and much of the vibe of the 1970's has remained, but the park has also changed a good deal since the 1970's.

I think we just don't see much of it, because it has been gradual. WDW has done a great job of doing that. I think we also tend to forget some kinds of changes, because we want MK to be the same. Nostalgia kinda goes both ways.
I think that most understand the rides do need to evolve with the park. So something like Hall of Presidents being constantly updated keeps it current, but it also remains in essence what was originally there. I’d say that applies to most of the other changes you’ve listed. People expect updates, but replacements are the issue. There are very few rides that can remain untouched for decades and retain everything that made them special. So a lot of those have changed, but they’re still mostly the same in essence. If they could manage to update the rides well and frequently, nothing would really get outdated.

Magic Kingdom and Disneyland have both managed to keep that original feel much better than what Universal has done, or Disney with MGM and Epcot. Aren’t the only 2 original things left at Universal ET and the I Love Lucy store? One being majorly overlooked and the other being a dated but enjoyable ride. Universal has changed their parks more drastically in a shorter period, and likely because of land limitations which they seem to be solving for now.

When you have heavy theming, you can’t really leave it untouched forever.

Walt Disney1955

Huh? It has nothing to do with what we personally like, which is why I provided numbers.
For 2017, HS and Epcot came out slightly ahead of Universal Orlando's numbers, but they were within 5% of each other.

Many factors go into people's choices about where they spend their vacation $. Nostalgia is just one. Even at Magic Kingdom, only a few places serve the same kind of food they did in the 1970's. Remember when turkey legs were all over MK?

I just meant this is why the Magic Kingdom numbers are always higher than anything else and likely always will.

joshjoned

Original Poster
I think that most understand the rides do need to evolve with the park. So something like Hall of Presidents being constantly updated keeps it current, but it also remains in essence what was originally there. I’d say that applies to most of the other changes you’ve listed. People expect updates, but replacements are the issue. There are very few rides that can remain untouched for decades and retain everything that made them special. So a lot of those have changed, but they’re still mostly the same in essence. If they could manage to update the rides well and frequently, nothing would really get outdated.

Magic Kingdom and Disneyland have both managed to keep that original feel much better than what Universal has done, or Disney with MGM and Epcot. Aren’t the only 2 original things left at Universal ET and the I Love Lucy store? One being majorly overlooked and the other being a dated but enjoyable ride. Universal has changed their parks more drastically in a shorter period, and likely because of land limitations which they seem to be solving for now.

It's funny that you mention E.T., which is ONLY still there because Spielberg got angry about it, and threatened to cut ties with Universal if they got rid of it, which they wanted.

The Pho

It's funny that you mention E.T., which is ONLY still there because Spielberg got angry about it, and threatened to cut ties with Universal if they got rid of it, which they wanted.
I’ve heard that before but I’m not really certain how true it is, apart from them wanting to close it. And if so, why didn’t you fight harder for the Jaws ride Steven?!

joshjoned

Original Poster
I’ve heard that before but I’m not really certain how true it is, apart from them wanting to close it. And if so, why didn’t you fight harder for the Jaws ride Steven?!

I agree, though I admit Diagon Alley was an excellent replacement, and I say this as someone who doesn't care for Harry Potter movies or books at all.

It's crap like Jimmy Fallon, Fast and the Furious, etc, that have taken USF from being an excellent park to arguably a mediocre one. If it wasn't for Halloween Horror Nights and Mardi Gras boosting USF'S attendance, I suspect IOA would have surpassed it years ago.

Walt Disney1955

I agree with this. We all expect updates here and there. But the main feel of things doesn't change. The core of it doesn't change. Pirates changed with adding Jack Sparrow, but it is still the same ride.

By the way, is Lucy still open at Universal? Granted, last year I only visited Islands of Adventure so I didn't get the chance to see Universal's side but I remember it being called: "Lucy: A Tribute" but I thought it was long gone by now. Didn't Hello Kitty replace it? Which, by the way is just awful when you think about it.

The Pho

I agree, though I admit Diagon Alley was an excellent replacement, and I say this as someone who doesn't care for Harry Potter movies or books at all.

It's crap like Jimmy Fallon, Fast and the Furious, etc, that have taken USF from being an excellent park to arguably a mediocre one. If it wasn't for Halloween Horror Nights and Mardi Gras boosting USF'S attendance, I suspect IOA would have surpassed it years ago.
Diagon Alley is great, and I know why Jaws was removed for it. It’s a much better use of space for them. But Gringotts is my least favorite ride I’ve ever been on, and that’s my bigger issue. They took out one of their best and replaced it with a ride that is less fun that it’s own line. Which is an even bigger shame considering how fun Forbidden Journey is.

I agree with this. We all expect updates here and there. But the main feel of things doesn't change. The core of it doesn't change. Pirates changed with adding Jack Sparrow, but it is still the same ride.

By the way, is Lucy still open at Universal? Granted, last year I only visited Islands of Adventure so I didn't get the chance to see Universal's side but I remember it being called: "Lucy: A Tribute" but I thought it was long gone by now. Didn't Hello Kitty replace it? Which, by the way is just awful when you think about it.
Yep Lucy closed in 2015, so I guess ET is the only thing remaining now. I didn’t even notice last time I was there I guess.

MickeyLuv'r

That's kind of comparing apples to oranges, and also a little bit of what-about-ism. Universal Studios isn't trying to stay the same. They aren't trying to create the same blend of classic fairytale and classic Americana that MK is. Their style has always been that of visiting the set of a movie. That's why the exit of the Mummy has cinder blocks, and has a big poster announcing a production "Wrap Party." Movie studios replace movie sets as needed.

Plenty of attractions have disappeared at MK. Here's 38 attractions that are no longer at WDW: Plaza Swan boats, Flight to the Moon, Mission to Mars, ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, Exposition Hall The Walt Disney Story, Stitch's Great Escape, shrunken Ned's Jr Jungle boats, diamond Horseshoe Review, Goofy's Country Dancin' Jamboree, Mike Fink Keel boats, Davy Crockett explorer Boats, Main Street Cinema, mickey Mouse Revue, If You Had Wings, Delta Dreamflight/Take Flight, Magic Journeys (when it was in Fantasyland Theater), Mickey's Birthdayland, Mickey's Country House, Minnie's country House, Tinkerbell's Magical Nook, Penny Arcade, Star Jets, timekeeper, Admiral Fowler Riverboat, Legend of Lion King, Mr. Toad, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Skyway, 20,000 Leagues, Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial, Club 626 Dance Party, Donald's boat, iCan/Push, Pooh's Playful Spot, Minnie Moo/Grandma's playful barn/Mickey's Starland, Sunshine Pavillion, Circle Vision 360, and Show Biz Is.

[And that isn't even all of them. I skipped quite a few show changes, parades, fireworks, gift shops, and eateries.
]
Islands of Adventure has , I think, replaced/rethemed 6 attractions over 20 years: Dragon Challenge, Island Skipper tours, Mat Hofffman's BMX stunt show, Triceratops Encounter, 8thvoyage of Sinbad, and the flying Unicorn was rethemed to Flight of Hippogriff.

Universal Studios Orlando has, I think, closed about 30 attractions over 29 years.

All of them have replaced quite a few attractions, and Islands of Adventure has closed the fewest number of attractions no matter how you slice it. Even if you just look at like the first 20 years: 1971-1991: Flight to Moon, MM Revue, If You Had Wings, M's Birthdayland, Admiral Fowler Riverboat, Circle vision 360, Plaza Swan boats, Minnie's Surpirse Party/Mickey's birthdayland…all closed in the first 20 years of MK.

The facts don't quite hold up. Disney has sold us on the idea that it can take us back in time and make us kids again. It is a lovely idea, but In actuality MK is a very different place than it was in 1971.

Now if you wanted to say that MK has had the best marketing....that's probably true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom