Will Splash Mountain's Removal change how often you visit Disneyland?

Will Splash Mountain's Removal change how often you visit Disneyland?

• I will go more than before

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No Change

Votes: 52 59.8%
  • Slightly Less

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • A Lot Less

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I will no longer attend

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

SuddenStorm

Exactly how I feel. It’s very odd how it instantly killed my desire to collect merch and I’m someone that’s always buying between the parks, eBay and online in general. It’s as if Splash was like the lifeblood of my devotion to Disneyland. It kind of feels like they hacked away a major Appendage of Disneyland but more specifically my idea of Disneyland.

It sucks too, since I have a lot of really neat Disneyland stuff and was planning on making my home awesome once I'm finally out of student housing and have a more permanent residence.

But now it all just seems a touch tacky.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
TOT and Splash had some of the highest repeatability in the park. I guess GOTG:MB still does but man I miss that “Haunted” Jazz music, the star field effect and the whole ride really.

As long as it's still in Orlando, I guess I'm content. But for how long until the next $hapek decides it needs to go because Twilight Zone isn't Disney, right?

I'm afraid to grow attached to Disney attractions anymore, so therefore I stop caring which means I stop paying. I assume it's the same for a lot of people, the more they announce changes.

Homemade Imagineering

I'm weird in the sense that I have little to no emotional attachment to DCA. I love Soarin' over California, and I used to enjoy NPH's California Screamin spiel. And while I enjoyed Tower I guess it never clicked.

To me, the biggest loss when Tower was removed is that WDI somehow found a way to make a facade more ugly than a bombed out hotel.
I agree. I never felt nearly as attached to DCA as I am to Disneyland. The only area in DCA that I do have an emotional attachment to, would be Grizzly Peak/ Grizzly Peak Airfield, since I love Soarin, Grizzly River Rapids is fun and smells fantastic, and the redwood creek challenge trail is close to me because I have some amazing memories of being a little kid and running around the challenge trail at night, when it was just my family and I, and all I could hear was the calm, acoustic guitar music. To this day I still go out in my backyard, put on the Grizzly Peak Airfield music loop, and stare at the trees around me! It’s very relaxing.

mickEblu

I'm weird in the sense that I have little to no emotional attachment to DCA. I love Soarin' over California, and I used to enjoy NPH's California Screamin spiel. And while I enjoyed Tower I guess it never clicked.

To me, the biggest loss when Tower was removed is that WDI somehow found a way to make a facade more ugly than a bombed out hotel.

I don’t have a whole of attachment to DCA either although I attribute a good deal to that to me being 18 when it opened. Went once and it was so bad I didn’t go back for 10 years. I actually think I forgot it was there. I remember taking some family from Italy to DL in 08 and it was like DCA didn’t even exist. In hindsight, I wish we would have went even for them to just experience TOT (would have been my first time too) and Soarin over California. Of course I’m also not very nostalgic for DCA as they are constantly changing things like USH so it’s a little hard to get attached to anything. And lastly it’s no Disneyland.

TOT is rare case for me as I am oddly nostalgic for it and yet I only had it for 5 years (2 as an AP).The whole thing just really worked for me. The marriage of the Twilight Zone IP and a Haunted hotel in Old Hollywood.

Last edited:

Stevek

No change. I don't go now because it's no longer the same value. Can't ask me to pay more and experience less due to crowds...but I get why Disney is doing it. Supply and demand.

PiratesMansion

I think the day I stop frequenting Disney is coming. However, I feel like it will be the overall rising of prices and degradation of experiences that will cause that, rather than this specific change.

While I like Splash quite a bit, the DL ride was a one and done each trip for me because of how wet you get and because it is (was?) my least favorite version of the attraction. So Splash itself and the changes will merit exactly the same amount of consideration it normally does in my DL visits, which is...not much.

While there have been many changes over the last five years especially that have made people upset, the only ones I consider to be across the board negative are Pixar Pier, SOTW, and the changing of the auction scene of Pirates. None of the other changes have upset me to the extent they have others. I'm sure the day that such a change happens to something I deeply love and feel strongly about is coming, but I'm not going to worry about those days until they arrive.

I have at least one visit left, as I have a ticket left over that I intended to use this summer (I would be at DL *right now*, actually) that I purchased pre-pandemic. But the value proposition is steadily changing in favor of the international parks or towards non-Disney travel, and there will inevitably be a point where I can no longer justify Disneyland when those other places are better and/or cheaper.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I just wish I could have made it past age 23 before saying 'Back in my day Disneyland was way better!"
Don't feel bad, I doubt current management is really aware of how much a nostalgia engine the park is. Most of us don't just go because it's fun, though it is, but because it takes us back to some of the best and important times we ever had. Real growth experiences where we first experienced things seemingly impossible and overcame some of our greatest growing fears. It's fair to feel a loss when the monuments to these experiences are being altered or demolished.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't have any childhood nostalgia for Disneyland since I didn't go until I was an adult.

However, even recent alterations seem to have changed the feel of the park to the point that I'm nostalgic for 5 years ago. That's kinda weird, but it's all connected. The majority of the recent additions or alterations are similarly underwhelming or flat out terrible. The time when Cheapek came in was when it all went downhill. Seems the last good projects that were already in development were completed and then...doomsday.

TDL

The truth is this will factor into literally no one's frequency of visits to Disneyland. The park existed before Splash Mountain, and will exist after it evolves into a new version. Literally everyone who posts on this forum (at least allegedly) loves Disneyland. No one is going to stop going, or go less, because of the alteration of a single ride -- a ride that Walt didn't even have a hand in. All this poll is really showing is the people who are truthful about that and the people who are lying to continue throwing a tantrum.

Supreme Leader

I went on Splash Mountain once two years ago and haven't been on since. Next time I go on it will be to check out the Princess and the Frog overlay.

Rich T

The two things I would look forward to were Splash and Fantasmic. Both gone within 5 years.

I still absolutely love The Haunted Mansion, so I'm definitely gonna go once that finally reopens. And Space and Thunder are phenomenal. But without Splash and Fantasmic I really can't justify the cost of attendance.
For me the last straw would be the loss of the original FL dark rides, especially Mr. Toad, Alice and Peter Pan. If any of those go away, I’ll just stop going completely and start saving up for a trip to Efteling.

Homemade Imagineering

For me the last straw would be the loss of the original FL dark rides, especially Mr. Toad, Alice and Peter Pan. If any of those go away, I’ll just stop going completely and start saving up for a trip to Efteling.
Honestly, I can’t see them removing something like Mr. Toad or any of the other dark rides, because the amount space they take up is extremely small, and If they really wanted to build another FEA style E ticket attraction in the place of Mr. Toad for example, they’d have to also gut Peter Pan, and Alice since they all take up the same showbuilding. It wouldn’t be worth the loss of 3 attractions in the same showbuilding, or 2 attractions in the same showbuilding in the case of Pinocchio and Snow White. They’re also all very much beloved so I can’t see them going anywhere anytime soon.

PiratesMansion

Honestly, I can’t see them removing something like Mr. Toad or any of the other dark rides, because the amount space they take up is extremely small, and If they really wanted to build another FEA style E ticket attraction in the place of Mr. Toad for example, they’d have to also gut Peter Pan, and Alice since they all take up the same showbuilding. It wouldn’t be worth the loss of 3 attractions in the same showbuilding, or 2 attractions in the same showbuilding in the case of Pinocchio and Snow White. They’re also all very much beloved so I can’t see them going anywhere anytime soon.

My main hope that the FL dark rides will stay is that modern Disney has no idea what to do with space that small, and to combine two rides into one would almost certainly be a capacity hit.

Homemade Imagineering

This conversation always makes me worried for Storybookland. The dark rides are safe except for maybe Pinocchio.
I agree, I would hate to see the canal boats and Casey Jr. leave, since they are extremely charming attractions, even if I don’t always ride them. Disney would probably just replace them with a giant E ticket based off a profitable modern IP, lacking any charm or nostalgia, which imo fantasyland needs since almost everything there is based heavily in nostalgia. It’s also my favorite of all the lands, while New Orleans Square is my second favorite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom