Will more people be driving to WDW this year and using less Disney transportation?

eliza61nyc

It would be nice if flights and rental cars came down in price next year.

Take this with a grain of salt. A friend of mine is a corporate attorney with AA said don't count on it. Airlines are trying to implement social distancing by leaving the middle seat empty. Somebodies got to pay for that.
Again this is just water cooler chit chat not official

NickMaio

Take this with a grain of salt. A friend of mine is a corporate attorney with AA said don't count on it. Airlines are trying to implement social distancing by leaving the middle seat empty. Somebodies got to pay for that.
Again this is just water cooler chit chat not official
Ya......that's what I have heard also.
We have a big comfy suv that gets great gas mileage.
We will probably have some driving next summer.
Already missing not going this summer....and the summer has not arrived yet😬

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If you take a car and are staying on Disney property be prepared to pay $25 or more per day for parking at your resort. That was last year's price at the Animal Kingdom Lodge; the price may have gone up since then. I've heard Disney tries to discourage people from bringing their personal vehicle so they are forced to use Disney transportation during their stay and thus would not be visiting other places like Universal Studios.
lol nah. They just want the extra money.

Nottamus

we drive every single time from NJ due to my wife hating flying. We even go an hour out of our way down rt 13 to avoid the 95 DC tragedy.

we cancelled (well, cancelled for us) our April 2020 trip, and probably will cancel out November 2020 trip because it was a scheduled for 2 weeks...and with some things being closed or down, 2 weeks might just be too much

so....that being said, we have an April 2020 trip and although we drive to WDW, we love just parking the car and using buses to parks.
Don’t know where our head will be in April.

I’m guessing it might be a mix, of Wdw transportation and person car to get around

Figgy1

Premium Member
Generally even when we fly we rent a car. I've never found driving around Orlando hard at all but I cut my teeth in Manhattan so every thing else is a cake walk and I just like having my own transportation.
We basically use it for offsite runs/DTD (disney springs) and to go to AK.
Not sure if covid will cause a lot of folks to drive because of the parking fee. what is it 15 bucks a night. I'm dvc so don't have to pay it (yet)
Driving around Orlando is a piece of cake with ample parking. I don't even mind driving in the DC area! I got the driving baptism of fire rt 3 NJ through Lincoln Tunnel rush hour, around midtown, back to Jersey up through the windy road of NW at night. Fun times lol

Smiley/OCD

Driving around Orlando is a piece of cake with ample parking. I don't even mind driving in the DC area! I got the driving baptism of fire rt 3 NJ through Lincoln Tunnel rush hour, around midtown, back to Jersey up through the windy road of NW at night. Fun times lol
ABSOLUTELY!!! You haven't lived until you can navigate Rt. 4 & 17 on any day (other than Sunday)

N2dru

We're in Knoxville and my wife and I don't mind the 11 hour drive. In fact, it's actually kind of relaxing for the both of us....except driving thru Atlanta (gosh I HATE driving thru Atlanta). But we mix it up. It's an easy and inexpensive Allegiant flight from Knoxville to SFB and we usually Uber everywhere while in Orlando. We've done the bus thing around WDW but we much prefer a quicker Uber trip.

How will it be now? We'll still fly when it makes sense for our plans. But time will tell if a car rental or ride sharing or Disney transportation will be our way around the World.
Why do you hate driving thru Atlanta? I live here and yeah traffic can get bad but coming from TN...it's a straight shot down 75. It's all about timing like in any major city. You must've come thru during rush hour. I don't usually hit traffic until I reach I4 and even that depends on the time of day.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Growing up, we drove every few years from Philadelphia. It wasn't too bad because we broke it up over several days.

I now live in northern Vermont. Just getting to my childhood starting point is a hellish slog through Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. Then, you hit the always fun I-95 corridor that is virtually non-stop heavy traffic until well south of Richmond.

No thanks, I'm flying. Also, I sort of vowed never to step foot in Georgia again after being stationed there in the army, so all the more reason never to attempt the long drive again.

heapster411

DW doesn't fly so we drive. Not bad, we live in New Orleans, leave about 5am. First day takes us to Ocala, which after stops is usually around 9-10hrs. Get up the next morning and drive about 1 1/2-2 hrs, and the next thing you know, we are at OKW. The way home is different, straight drive, about 11 hrs. Having a car lets us set our own pace. No worries about buses and schedules, free to go to Wal-Mart, Outlet malls etc.

Mr Mindcrime

Why do you hate driving thru Atlanta? I live here and yeah traffic can get bad but coming from TN...it's a straight shot down 75. It's all about timing like in any major city. You must've come thru during rush hour. I don't usually hit traffic until I reach I4 and even that depends on the time of day.
I lived in Atlanta for 15 years...in fact met my wife there (she grew up there) and I saw the traffic get progressively worse year after year. I finally got tired of 2 hour commutes (I had clients all over town) and we moved to Knoxville. Yes, it is a straight shot down I-75 but more often than not, there is a traffic tie up. It is the exception, rather than the rule, to be able to drive straight through (or around) town. If it's not an accident (no surprise with the extremely aggressive driving) then it's road construction. It doesn't have to be rush hour as I've sat for hours at night, mid-day and weekends. Now I did get through town pretty quickly on Christmas Day once :)

MissViv

We hate driving thru Atlanta. We have never been stuck in a traffic jam but it just takes FOREVER!! We have hit it in the middle of the night and drove straight thru downtown and that was better but the by pass around Atlanta is LONG! Hate, Hate, Hate it! It makes the trip back home just awful.

Phonedave

Growing up, we drove every few years from Philadelphia. It wasn't too bad because we broke it up over several days.

I now live in northern Vermont. Just getting to my childhood starting point is a hellish slog through Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. Then, you hit the always fun I-95 corridor that is virtually non-stop heavy traffic until well south of Richmond.

No thanks, I'm flying. Also, I sort of vowed never to step foot in Georgia again after being stationed there in the army, so all the more reason never to attempt the long drive again.

I live in Northern NJ. I have family in the Northeast Kingdom, and we used to have a cabin in Canada just north of Beecher Falls VT in Coaticook Canada. I have been making that drive since the 1970's. I remember when you had to get off of 84 in Hartford CT, drive through the downtown and then get on 91 N (now there is a direct connection). It used to be once you got on 91 N you rarely saw an other car for the entire trip (at one point 91N did not go all the way to the border and you had to get on local Rt 5). Now, your words describe it perfectly, a hellish slog. Even up around White River Junction you still run into a good amount of traffic.

Heppenheimer

I live in Northern NJ. I have family in the Northeast Kingdom, and we used to have a cabin in Canada just north of Beecher Falls VT in Coaticook Canada. I have been making that drive since the 1970's. I remember when you had to get off of 84 in Hartford CT, drive through the downtown and then get on 91 N (now there is a direct connection). It used to be once you got on 91 N you rarely saw an other car for the entire trip (at one point 91N did not go all the way to the border and you had to get on local Rt 5). Now, your words describe it perfectly, a hellish slog. Even up around White River Junction you still run into a good amount of traffic.
I find that other than the international border, there is usually very little traffic from Magog on Quebec 55, through I-91 all the way to slightly north of Springfield, with a very brief little uptick in traffic around White River Junction. As you mention, it isn't an uncommon experience to see exactly zero other cars on the road.

I probably haven't driven the 1-95 corridor south of DC since 2002, and I haven't gone the whole way to Orlando since 1996. I remember from childhood trips that the worst portion of the drive was usually the Richmond area. DC would have been potentially worse, but we left on Friday nights, stayed with my grandparents in Fairfax county, left early the next morning and were usually well outside the DC metro area before the usual traffic snarls began. Can anyone who still drives to Disney World from the Northeast provide an update on how the route is these days? I have great childhood memories of these long expeditions, but as an adult, I'd probably hate the driving enough to kill the anticipation.

Last edited:

Mainahman

We hate driving thru Atlanta. We have never been stuck in a traffic jam but it just takes FOREVER!! We have hit it in the middle of the night and drove straight thru downtown and that was better but the by pass around Atlanta is LONG! Hate, Hate, Hate it! It makes the trip back home just awful.
We will take a route that is 10-15 minutes longer just to avoid atlanta when we leave!

Phonedave

I find that other than the international border, there is usually very little traffic from Magog on Quebec 55, through I-91 all the way to slightly north of Springfield, with a very brief little uptick in traffic around White River Junction. As you mention, it isn't an uncommon experience to see exactly zero other cars on the road.

I guess I am thinking in relative terms, comparing it to how it was, as opposed to how it is vs. other areas. Yes, north of Springfield, 91 does not have a lot of traffic compared to say NJ or points south. However compared to just 20 years ago, it is a lot. You used to be able to set your cruise control at 75 MPH, get in the right lane, and not have to turn it off or change lanes for an hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom