Will more people be driving to WDW this year and using less Disney transportation?

Mr Mindcrime

We're in Knoxville and my wife and I don't mind the 11 hour drive. In fact, it's actually kind of relaxing for the both of us....except driving thru Atlanta (gosh I HATE driving thru Atlanta). But we mix it up. It's an easy and inexpensive Allegiant flight from Knoxville to SFB and we usually Uber everywhere while in Orlando. We've done the bus thing around WDW but we much prefer a quicker Uber trip.

How will it be now? We'll still fly when it makes sense for our plans. But time will tell if a car rental or ride sharing or Disney transportation will be our way around the World.

Raineman

We're from Michigan and have been to WDW probably 50 times in the past 25 years. I know there's already a lot of guests who only drive. We've driven to WDW exactly twice. We had 4 trips planned this year. Flew for January, had to cancel April, have reservations for July and November. We'll be driving for our trip in July, I don't enjoy it because there's not much to see, unlike going out West. But I'm viewing this as an opportunity to not to have to rely on Disney transportation. The idea of being on DME and the resort busses primarily is what bothers me for this trip. Anyone else out there feeling the same? We're at the GF so for all the parks besides MK we'll probably drive to and maybe take the skyliner between EPCOT and DHS if we're even able to park hop.
We have driven 2 out of the 3 times we've gone to WDW, and I love it. It's about 19-20 hours from home, and DW and I split the driving, so it's not too tiring. I do have to disagree somewhat with your statement on there being not much to see. Michigan, Ohio and most of Georgia, I agree with you, but Kentucky, Tennessee and northern Georgia-the mountains are breathtaking.

MissViv

I am planning on going solo in October so would never dream of driving. I reserved roundtrip airfare from BNA on SW for $138.00 total - haven't had that pricing since the 80's.

Mainahman

We have driven 2 out of the 3 times we've gone to WDW, and I love it. It's about 19-20 hours from home, and DW and I split the driving, so it's not too tiring. I do have to disagree somewhat with your statement on there being not much to see. Michigan, Ohio and most of Georgia, I agree with you, but Kentucky, Tennessee and northern Georgia-the mountains are breathtaking.
If you ever get bored, we avoid Atlanta, and because i dont want to go up to Chattanooga, and then back down, we go down past Birmingham, which leads you to this 2 lane highway type road for a few hours, as you get to the Florida border heading to Tallahassee etc. Its entertaining, as the road side stuff is fun. How else would i know there's a national peanut festival??? I mean who doesn't like that!

Tomi-Rocket

We drive since we live outside Atlanta and in the past have used Disney busses 100% till last year, I think. (May have been 2018) But then we started to use Lyft if we needed to get to a park faster. We have a trip planned for Oct. It’s still up in the air on whether we’re going or not, I want to see trip reports for Sept first, but if we go we’ll probably still use the busses.

NickMaio

We drive 24hours+.
Flying has gotten too expensive in our Town and country.
I like the drive.
When I was young my family would do it every Summer. 24 hours straight through. No stops.

We stopped on our last 3 drives in SC.
Tried it straight through once. That was crazy.....dont know how my father did it.

It would be nice if flights and rental cars came down in price next year.

Disney Crazed

My family lives over 14 hours away non stop driving from WDW. Since me and my sisters are too young to drive that would be all on my dad and mom. I think I would go completely nutso in the backseat with my two little sisters. I think we are still planning on flying on are next vacation in September.

Mainahman

The Funny thing is my wife and I considered driving to the parks this round vs taking the busses, just to save time, all before Disney made any announcements about re opening. IF we end up staying at the resort we booked, were like 1.6 miles from AK, less than 4 miles from the studios, and like 5 miles from EPCOT. That leaves us taking a bus to MK just to not deal with ticket and transportation center. I think ive had way to many unmagical moments in florida heat after a 14 hour park day waiting through 3 bus runs to get back on a giant sardine can filled to the brim to look at driving to the parks. I can have AC, i can control when i leave, and when i arrive, likely get there quicker as im not standing there for 20 mins at the resort waiting for another bus to swing in.

John park hopper

We live outside Charleston SC, there are no direct flights to Orlando and with connecting flights and layovers its cheaper and faster for us to drive. We can do the drive in 6 hours more or less and with my truck we can pack and bring whatever we want. Once at the resort we usually don't drive any where.

Hcalvert

So it seems like, as far as this thread goes, everyone who would drive was already used to driving.
Not all. I haven't driven to WDW since 2012 and that was from Hershey, PA. I hate driving as I am not looking forward to the 16-hour drive, but we want the flexibility of transportation OFF property to do other things during this trip since the parks are closing so early.

Phonedave

I live in North Jersey. As a kid we used to vacation in Canada every year. 400 miles, but 10-12 hours one way (rural two lane roads through Vermont that eventually turned to dirt roads were we had our cabin make the trip take that long).

Now, the farthest I am going to drive is the 300 one way miles to my parents house.

It's not the drive there that is so bad, it's the drive back. Knowing that when vacation is over I still have a multi hour long slog sitting in the same seat the entire time is just depressing.

Whippet Mom

We're from Michigan and have been to WDW probably 50 times in the past 25 years. I know there's already a lot of guests who only drive. We've driven to WDW exactly twice. We had 4 trips planned this year. Flew for January, had to cancel April, have reservations for July and November. We'll be driving for our trip in July, I don't enjoy it because there's not much to see, unlike going out West. But I'm viewing this as an opportunity to not to have to rely on Disney transportation. The idea of being on DME and the resort busses primarily is what bothers me for this trip. Anyone else out there feeling the same? We're at the GF so for all the parks besides MK we'll probably drive to and maybe take the skyliner between EPCOT and DHS if we're even able to park hop.
We always drive from Texas.. We enjoy the road trip & take a few days to stop along the way. Also like having a car to avoid the busses & can get around the resort if need be. We can also go to the grocery store for our supplies & not have to pay Disney prices. We are DVC & have a kitchen to fix breakfast.. Last year we spent a few days in Gulfport MS & enjoyed the white sand beach we also stopped by Laurel MS to see where Hometown is filmed..

James Clifton

I'm lucky,I drive from Miami, to WDW 31/2 hrs....I stop for coffee! ATLANTA,when we set up at the BLADE SHOW....I hated driving thru ATLANTA,I thought Miami drivers were bad....ATLANTA drivers are NUTS! Driving from NJ to Miami..I remembered NC & SC seemed to never end.Ya'll driving ...such long distances have my admiration!Been there done that!

RoadiJeff

If you take a car and are staying on Disney property be prepared to pay $25 or more per day for parking at your resort. That was last year's price at the Animal Kingdom Lodge; the price may have gone up since then. I've heard Disney tries to discourage people from bringing their personal vehicle so they are forced to use Disney transportation during their stay and thus would not be visiting other places like Universal Studios.

jaklgreen

So Google maps says that it would take 24 hours to drive there from NE(the state of Nebraska, not the New England area). There is no way that I would be able to do that. I have bladder issues and would need to stop at least once an hour. It would take me 3 days to get there and then 3 back again. 6 days of my vacation wasted on driving does not make any sense. I always fly.

JohnD

As an annual passholder who's stayed off property at Flamingo Springs (outside Western entrance) several times, I've gotten used to driving to the parks with no parking fee and using the trams to the front entrance. With COVID, I could see myself driving park-to-park if I park-hopped in a single day. That way, I'm not sharing a bus or a monorail in closed in quarters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom