Will more people be driving to WDW this year and using less Disney transportation?

durangojim

Original Poster
We're from Michigan and have been to WDW probably 50 times in the past 25 years. I know there's already a lot of guests who only drive. We've driven to WDW exactly twice. We had 4 trips planned this year. Flew for January, had to cancel April, have reservations for July and November. We'll be driving for our trip in July, I don't enjoy it because there's not much to see, unlike going out West. But I'm viewing this as an opportunity to not to have to rely on Disney transportation. The idea of being on DME and the resort busses primarily is what bothers me for this trip. Anyone else out there feeling the same? We're at the GF so for all the parks besides MK we'll probably drive to and maybe take the skyliner between EPCOT and DHS if we're even able to park hop.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm from the Buffalo NY area.
Growing up we drove every year and my parents still drive although we may have convinced them to fly next time since their cars have never seemed to like Florida and it always costs them an arm and a leg lol.
My sister and I go to Disney at least once a year if not twice and this year was supposed to be twice.
We already bought plane tickets but luckily Southwest Airlines extended the expiration of having to use travel credit until September 2022! So for now we are just gonna hang back and see how the reopening goes before we determine anything.
We would consider driving but we'd need 2 days and it just seems like a waste of time and quite honestly money. Perhaps in the long run it would be slightly cheaper but probably not by much after you consider several meals, several fill ups, a hotel, and then that pesky resort parking fee.
Besides since my sister is a teacher and it would take 4 days just to get there and back we'd have to go when there is no school.
When we go during the school year she just takes a couple of days off.
So basically unless we stay offsite we don't drive and we actually love to just not have to think about getting from point A to point B. You just walk down to DME and they direct you to a bus, at the resorts you just walk up to the bus stop and hop on when it comes, same for the way back to the resort.
Its nice to just "check out".
I'm also not concerned about getting sick on the plane or buses etc.
Germs were around prior to March and will be around still.
If anything its gonna be more safe now with all the sanitizing.
I know someone who's husband is a pilot for a commercial airline and she said as far as germs they feel better flying on a commercial flight than driving.

Last edited:

KikoKea

We're from Michigan and have been to WDW probably 50 times in the past 25 years. I know there's already a lot of guests who only drive. We've driven to WDW exactly twice. We had 4 trips planned this year. Flew for January, had to cancel April, have reservations for July and November. We'll be driving for our trip in July, I don't enjoy it because there's not much to see, unlike going out West. But I'm viewing this as an opportunity to not to have to rely on Disney transportation. The idea of being on DME and the resort busses primarily is what bothers me for this trip. Anyone else out there feeling the same? We're at the GF so for all the parks besides MK we'll probably drive to and maybe take the skyliner between EPCOT and DHS if we're even able to park hop.
Not sure if you are bothered by the idea of germs on WDW buses, etc or just don't like having to wait & depend on them. We drive to WDW, park, and don't drive again until we pull out of the parking garage for our trip home. WDW transportation works great for us- we try to avoid the crush at opening and closing hours, and our plan allows us to miss the big crowds. Generally, our attitude is to relax and just enjoy. As for germs, using common sense practices (handwashing, don't stuff you don't need to, etc) has worked well for us over the years.

MissViv

No driving for me. We live in TN and it is a 12 hr. trip - NO WAY!! Our son does it several times a year but I hate it and haven't driven to Disney since the 90's.

Airfare is so cheap now and not afraid at all of flying. Driving is more dangerous with traffic accidents and I don't like stopping for bathroom breaks.

Magical Express (if running) when they open I'm sure will be cleaned and sanitized between each trip and I bring my own wipes and sanitizers for plane and buses. I am sure there will be social distancing too on transportation.

We are staying at the Contemporary so can walk to MK and Monorail to Epcot. Only depend on buses to the other two parks and I am sure Disney will have them cleaned and sanitized too.

Not going until October so we have plenty of time to see how all this plays out between July and then. If I don't like what I see, then I will cancel my trip and see about going the next year.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We cancelled our 2020 trip as it made more sense for us to go when everything is closer to normal operations. I hate flying, so we drive from Ohio. Though one time my husband flew to Charlotte and met me halfway (got to love compromises ha!) But I LOVE driving, it's so relaxing to me, last time I think I drove 90% of the way down and blasted Jimmy Buffet the whole time.

By next Sept, I'm hoping that buses and everything else will be in normal operation so I will use them, but I stay at the YC and walk to Epcot and will try the Skyline to DHS.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We cancelled our 2020 trip as it made more sense for us to go when everything is closer to normal operations. I hate flying, so we drive from Ohio. Though one time my husband flew to Charlotte and met me halfway (got to love compromises ha!) But I LOVE driving, it's so relaxing to me, last time I think I drove 90% of the way down and blasted Jimmy Buffet the whole time.

By next Sept, I'm hoping that buses and everything else will be in normal operation so I will use them, but I stay at the YC and walk to Epcot and will try the Skyline to DHS.
I hate driving there...though I’ve done it a bunch.

...It would help if they rethought the interstate highway system built in 1958 and invested a little?

And I’ve gotten stopped for DWY several times...which is always a nice chit chat with a sheriff in South Carolina or Georgia 😉

That being said...I’m in car buying mode and I’m thinking I’ll be needed a comfortable “long range” model for Florida

JIMINYCR

We drive and will continue letting Disney take us from one place to another while we are on property. After check in, the only time I get back in the van is if we have an off property site to visit or reservation for a dinner show planned during our trip. If your concern is the virus, I'd be more concerned about whats being left in the ride vehicles or on other surfaces in the parks.
I do have customers who are still flying and they are saying its a breeze getting through the airports, security screening takes no time at all and once on the planes theres very few people in the cabins. Because of the disinfecting and lack of passengers on board they feel safer than ever flying now.

durangojim

Original Poster
I hate driving there...though I’ve done it a bunch.

...It would help if they rethought the interstate highway system built in 1958 and invested a little?

And I’ve gotten stopped for DWY several times...which is always a nice chit chat with a sheriff in South Carolina or Georgia 😉

That being said...I’m in car buying mode and I’m thinking I’ll be needed a comfortable “long range” model for Florida
What's DWY? Driving While Yelling? Yodelling? Yahooing?

Mainahman

No driving for me. We live in TN and it is a 12 hr. trip - NO WAY!! Our son does it several times a year but I hate it and haven't driven to Disney since the 90's.

Airfare is so cheap now and not afraid at all of flying. Driving is more dangerous with traffic accidents and I don't like stopping for bathroom breaks.

Magical Express (if running) when they open I'm sure will be cleaned and sanitized between each trip and I bring my own wipes and sanitizers for plane and buses. I am sure there will be social distancing too on transportation.

We are staying at the Contemporary so can walk to MK and Monorail to Epcot. Only depend on buses to the other two parks and I am sure Disney will have them cleaned and sanitized too.

Not going until October so we have plenty of time to see how all this plays out between July and then. If I don't like what I see, then I will cancel my trip and see about going the next year.
Were in TN, and wouldnt dream of not driving., My wife and i split it, its usually just under 11 hours for us with timechange.

eliza61nyc

Generally even when we fly we rent a car. I've never found driving around Orlando hard at all but I cut my teeth in Manhattan so every thing else is a cake walk and I just like having my own transportation.
We basically use it for offsite runs/DTD (disney springs) and to go to AK.
Not sure if covid will cause a lot of folks to drive because of the parking fee. what is it 15 bucks a night. I'm dvc so don't have to pay it (yet)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's DWY? Driving While Yelling? Yodelling? Yahooing?
Driving while yankee

I got pulled over 5 years ago on 95 going 75 in a 70 as an 18 wheeler was passing me on the right doing Mach 2.

He was as nice as could be. Somerville, SC...I think? He almost didn’t laugh when he said he was from the “Summer Targeted Enforcement Detachment”...

It is what it is. To be fair...he may not have thought my car was “street legal”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Generally even when we fly we rent a car. I've never found driving around Orlando hard at all but I cut my teeth in Manhattan so every thing else is a cake walk and I just like having my own transportation.
We basically use it for offsite runs/DTD (disney springs) and to go to AK.
Not sure if covid will cause a lot of folks to drive because of the parking fee. what is it 15 bucks a night. I'm dvc so don't have to pay it (yet)
Rental car companies are expecting to slash their fleets due to a permanent reduction in demand. So I don’t know how that will play in a market like Orlando?

Small World! Were 45- 1 hour south of you. We love the drive! We skip atlanta, and take the straight down through Birmingham route as its better and avoids atlanta.
The Atlanta area can be a hassle. I love living in Nashville area. I grew up in the Knoxville area and attended and also met my husband at the University of Tennessee.

Hcalvert

We're driving---first time since 2012. We decided we wanted other opportunities to go off property and get our own food since it is unsure what dining venues are going to be available. I hate driving, but will just deal with it. We cancelled our flights, took a voucher, and will use it for our June 2021 trip instead.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I always drive - living as close as I do. While at the resort I'll drive to EPCOT and DHS and use the Disney System Transportation (buses, boats, monorails) for MK, AK, and DS.

I think what is going to change for me is less Disney System Transportation . I do see myself using Minnie Vans more though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom