Will I be disappointed with a Wilderness Cabin after years at a DVC 2 bedroom?

PixyDust

Would I be disappointed with a Wilderness Cabin after years at a DVC 2 bedroom?

We are looking at a trip over Spring Break 2004 (go ahead and call me crazy). This is when the rates are out of sight, of course.

We are DVC and always get a 2 bedroom villa, usually at OKW. We are admittedly spoiled with this setup. Points during mid-April for OKW 2 bedroom are 41 points a night. We are used to half that (we always go between Thanksgiving and Christmas.) So we are looking at other options. Here are our options:

-Wilderness Cabin - 33 points a night.

-Contemporary (garden standard room) - 34 points a night.

-Animal Kingdom (pool view) - 37 points a night. (Savannah is 40.)

-Moderate resort - 18 points a night.

-Key West (one bedroom) - 30 points a night.

We like to fix at least one meal a day in our room to save money, so we pretty much are down to a cabin or OKW one bedroom. But I threw in the others to get opinions on them. Are they worth the extra points and money we would spend on food? I personally think that if you are staying in the Contemporary, unless you have a room in the tower, what's the point? (Tower rooms are 49 points a night.) And I don't know if we could go to a moderate, even though we were hooked on Dixie Landings for years until joining DVC. You just get used to all the room and freedom of being able to cook and have a full size TV room and separate bedrooms from the kids, and it's hard to stay in a regular motel room again.

One reason we're considering cabins is for all of the activities at Wilderness. Hoop Dee Doo, of course, but also the campfire and hay rides, etc. And I hear Trails End is a very reasonably priced place to eat.

So, for those of you who like the cabins, sell me on one! Here's one thing I really like at OKW - the huge porcelain jacuzzi tubs. Our house is a 50's ranch. When we bought it, we changed the wall paint from that pea green to white, and took up the dark green carpet. Otherwise, it's the same 50's ranch. So, a big tub is part of the vacation experience for me. What are the bathrooms like in the cabins?

Or, should I stick with OKW and get the one bedroom? We still are separated from the kids that way as they would sleep on the pull-out bed in the TV room.

Reading over this, I hope it doesn't come across as snotty. Not my intent. We've just gotten accustomed to all the room at OKW. We stayed at Beach Club Villas in December, and hated it - and it is more per night than OKW. The kitchen was small and the bus route was horrid. It left a bad taste in our mouth when we considered the points we borrowed from 2004 to stay in the room, and then that it wasn't as big as OKW, and having to ride a bus that stopped at Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach, taught us to really research before going somewhere other than OKW again.

Thanks for your input!

atownsend

If you like the outdoors FW cabins are great.
The bathrooms are large enough to change without bumping your but on the walls. They have plenty of counter space and the tub / shower is a 5' fiberglass unit. If you have never stayed in FW before I strongly recommend that you try it.
And yes Trails End is pretty good, best deal for your money is breakfast and lunch.
Hope this helps,
Andy T.

Upvote 0

PixyDust

Original Poster
Thanks! I think we might give it a try. I've never been camping before, so this might be the closest I'd ever get to it.:lol:

the place looks pretty roomy from the pictures I can find on the net and in Birnbaum.

I'd love to be close MK for once!

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Re: Would I be disappointed with a Wilderness Cabin after years at a DVC 2 bedroom?

Originally posted by PixyDust
One reason we're considering cabins is for all of the activities at Wilderness. Hoop Dee Doo, of course, but also the campfire and hay rides, etc. And I hear Trails End is a very reasonably priced place to eat.

Hey PIXYDUST!!! :wave:

This is exactly the answer I was going to offer! :lol:

If you have never spent time at Fort Wilderness, you will be pleasantly surprised! I have seen the cabins, and they are surprisingly LARGE! This would be the best way to introduce your family to camping, as it is essentially a house in the woods! :lol:

Hoop-Dee-Doo, bike trails, the petting zoo and pony rides, campfires and movies with Chip and Dale, and the Backyard BBQ are all things waiting right outside your door!
Don't forget the beach access and water activities available at the docks!

I think I just sold MYSELF on staying there!!! :lol: :lookaroun

Let us know what you decide!

HAVE FUN!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom