Will Disney ever produce a "classic" movie anytime soon?

Animaniac93-98

Winnie-the-Pooh (91% on RottenTomatoes... that's right, 91%)

RT just shows how many critics recommend the movie, not what quality level they think it is. It may have 91% there, but it didn't get the nom for Best Animated Feature at the Globes (where even Cars 2 got the nom) or Oscars, for example.

Tip Top Club

Even before the sale Disney had a say In the films. Disney wouldn't want their names attached to something bad. Trust me they had a say. And as such I would consider them part of the Disney family.

Edit: A Perfect example just came to mind. Lassiter and Others have done interviews about how Disney wanted Toy Story to be a musical, so they had to fight them down. They were involved. I understand that you are trying to separate them, but Disney is trying to keep them together. We are talking about classic movies, in fifty years they will be considered Disney movies, even if YOU don't consider them that now.

ellie-badge

It's all a matter of opinion, really. I consider The Princess and the Frog and onward modern classics and I don't doubt that they'll continue to be loved for many decades. Films such as Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Home on the Range were flops, but for all we know they could become more popular within the next decade. Atlantis: The Lost Empire already has a cult following because of the unique art style, so I'd say that's aging at least somewhat well so far.

Up is a Pixar flick, btw.

invader

Films such as Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Home on the Range were flops, but for all we know they could become more popular within the next decade. Atlantis: The Lost Empire already has a cult following because of the unique art style, so I'd say that's aging at least somewhat well so far.

I just recently watched them (Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Atlantis) for the first time since they came out and I was blown away. I honestly think their likability was masked behind that of the Animation Studio's renaissance in the 90s. They're good movies, just not to the level that Disney movies had previously been.

ellie-badge

I just recently watched them (Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Atlantis) for the first time since they came out and I was blown away. I honestly think their likability was masked behind that of the Animation Studio's renaissance in the 90s. They're good movies, just not to the level that Disney movies had previously been.

Oh, I agree completely. They're all very good movies and I enjoy watching them, it's just a bit disappointing to know how unpopular they initially were back in their day.

I actually watched Home on the Range for the first time since about '05 a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! It's definitely not on the same level as, say, The Lion King, or even Treasure Planet, but it's a really good movie for little kids. I thought of it as a slightly edgy Winnie the Pooh in terms of its targeted audience.

Turtle

Even before the sale Disney had a say In the films. Disney wouldn't want their names attached to something bad. Trust me they had a say. And as such I would consider them part of the Disney family.

Edit: A Perfect example just came to mind. Lassiter and Others have done interviews about how Disney wanted Toy Story to be a musical, so they had to fight them down. They were involved. I understand that you are trying to separate them, but Disney is trying to keep them together. We are talking about classic movies, in fifty years they will be considered Disney movies, even if YOU don't consider them that now.

Yes I knew that for the first few films Disney had a say in it haha, and in my previous one i said how it's still part of the Disney family but just not The Lion King, Aladdin, Pinocchio , Walt Disney Animation Studios category lol.

afar28

It's all a matter of opinion, really. I consider The Princess and the Frog and onward modern classics and I don't doubt that they'll continue to be loved for many decades. Films such as Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Home on the Range were flops, but for all we know they could become more popular within the next decade. Atlantis: The Lost Empire already has a cult following because of the unique art style, so I'd say that's aging at least somewhat well so far.

Up is a Pixar flick, btw.
I think Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Brother Bear all underrated movies. Home on the Range was not a Disney quality movie IMO. Not bad for a kids movie, but not quite Disney quality. Thats just my opinion though

Fable McCloud

I really enjoyed Tarzan, but Tangled is my favorite Disney film. It reminded me the most of how I felt when I saw Little Mermaid and Beauty and The Beast. I'm not saying Disney needs to stick to fairytales, but I think they just need to remember what movie magic is.

They've been so busy trying to get the numbers at the box office that they end up sacrificing some of the quality. The Disney film ideal is to take you away from reality and into a highly entertaining and engrossing story. Some of the films do this, but this is what we need for the future.

They just need to remember what makes the movies classic.

The Princess and the Frog was so close, and if they can emulate that feeling, we'll be back in business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom