Will an Atlantis ride be built?

MaxPower

Original Poster
The word a while back was that Disney would wait to see how much success Atlantis had at the box office before committing to a ride.

It appears that Atlantis will not acheive the kind of success that they were hoping. At the moment, it looks like it will pull down numbers on par with Emperor's New Groove.

I think Atlantis is a great movie and I don't think that anyone who's seen the movie would deny that it would make a fabulous ride.

That said, I have 2 questions.

1. Do you think an Atlantis themed ride will be made?

2. In the year 2001, do you need a film to acheive blockbuster status before turning it into a ride/attraction?

wdwcrazy

I also thought it was a very good movie. There are so many attractions that I could think of that would be for Atlantis. They should use the old 2ok leauges lagoon to make it into some kind of atlantis attraction. My predictions is that Monsters Inc. will be a huge hit for disney. I've seen the previews and it looks very funny. There are already rumors of a Monsters Inc, remake for JIYA and for DCA.

dopey

atlantis was ok. but a better film that was marketed to the same crowd -- preteen boys -- was titan a.e. from 20th century fox.

i agree with wdwcrazy -- how do you like that, dopey agreeing with crazy -- that an atlantis attraction would have been perfect for the 2k leagues lagoon.

but atlantis' failure at the box office guarantees there will be no atlantis attraction. why, that would be like creating an attraction based on the adventures of ichabod and mr. toad. :rolleyes:

to answer the second question, i would have to say yes. if there isn't enough acceptance for the film, the attraction starts with one strike against it.

then again, look at the hunchback show. many people who thought the movie was weak, by disney standards, say the show is phenomenal.

i'm helpful, aren't i? :p

Smee

The 20K area would seem perfect for a new undersea themed attaction but some major mods would need to be made to the existing structure. If you ever rode the old 20k ride the loading area and vehicles were small and and very tight. To turn this area into a reasonable high volume ride that accomadates all guests would involve a lot of work. It may make more sense to start from scratch somewhere else.

I'm not sure what the right answer is for the 20k area. There is a lot of valuable space there that could really enhance Fantasy Land if used well. This is generally a very crowded area within the park, and FL could use something besides another indoor/dark ride.

Chernabog

I think an Atlantis ride would be great, however it takes lots of work. Maybe more than Disney want's to put into it with the economical decline right now. An underwater ride it difficut to keep up. You can't just walk in and have a look at the tracks, you have to get somone in a wet suit who has experience diving to go underwater to check things. Plus water does considerable damage to most medals. Not to mention that the water in the lagoon is probably highly polluted and gross. It's a great idea but they'd have to redo the whole lagoon area which is very high traffic and destroys the image of Ariel's grotto. I'd liek to see it done, i think it'd be a great addition, but what would they do that's that much different than 20k leagues was?

MrPromey

atlantis was ok. but a better film that was marketed to the same crowd -- preteen boys -- was titan a.e. from 20th century fox.

Titan A.E. was on cable the other night. I didn't actually watch it all the way though so as far as the story goes, I can't really comment but I can say that the animation in Atlantis was hands down better. What I saw of Titan actually surprised me because I thought most of the non-Disney studios were now up to speed with lifelike character movement and the ability for two or more animated objects to physically interact with each other in a believable manner. I was sorely mistaken. The mouth movements weren't even all that well animated to the voices of the characters... I don't think Disney has much of anything to worry about from Fox in the seeable future. Dreamworks maybe, but not Fox...

dopey

mrpromey, all i can tell you is that my 7-year-old was much more absorbed by titan a.e. than atlantis.

no offense, but he watched both films all the way through and paid attention to the story lines.

the story is the thing. titan a.e. may not have been as slick as atlantis -- though it was a huge jump from anastasia -- but titan a.e. made you care about the characters more than atlantis did.

even walt disney criticized his own films from time to time if they didn't have heart. atlantis had no heart.

and that gets right to the point of this thread. why invest money into an attraction based on a movie nobody really cared about?

wdwmaniac

I agree with the spot for the ride. But it may not be built due to the low Box Office sales. it may not even make it to 100,000 million marker. They do sometimes make rides for movies that didn't do that great but it would be more likely to see a Monster Inc. ride before an Atlantis ride.

tnemgif

wow...i can't believe somebody actually brought up a thread this old and pointless! Esp a premium, senior member, lol. Watch out, cuz come 5 o clock the posting police are coming! jk

tj229er

I think that would be better than refurbing it to Nemo, however Nemo is a strong household name now with young children that as a crowd puller the Nemo idea is a much stronger one. I think a possible problem that Disney might run into is brand association. Sea World has thier "Journey to Atlantis" and by Disney adding a ride/area for thier not so well known movie may not be the best of ideas.

Edit: That is odd MKT's post was deleted. He just said that he would like to see Atlantis in the Living Seas.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
yeah! seriously!!

whoever did this should be banned!!

:lol: :lookaroun

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Lee... Lee... Lee... Lee.

LeeLeeLeeLeeLeeLeeLeeLeeLeeLee

sniggle74

Oh, Lee! Always taunting us with what coulda/shoulda been :lol:

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for the reminder of what was lost. Any new momentum of other projects we should be aware of PLEEEEEEEEASE! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom