Wilderness Lodge

katiesmom

I just booked the Wilderness Lodge for June. I stayed there once - just for 2 nights about 5 years ago. Anyone have any tips or inside information that would be helpful for my stay. Also, are there any rooms in which you can see the Magic Kingdom fireworks? Or can you see them from the beach area? Many thanks in advance for all of your knowledge!

Main Street USA

Hiya!

Nice choice staying at WL!

You can see the fireworks from the beach, and also from a few rooms that are near the rear of the resort, facing the Magic Kingdom.

Getting up really early at least one morning and taking in WL is almost a must in my book. It's about the most peaceful thing in the "World." Eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe after the people start to come out on that same morning. Follow that up with a boat trip over to the Magic Kingdom. Aaaaahhh, can't beat it.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im staying in August, but part of me still thinks that AKL would have been the better option. The reason were staying is the boat trip, we had a cabin at Fort Wilderness last year and Jack just loved that trip, so for once I bowed to her wishes and booked the WL.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Hi katiesmom...The WL is a great choice. We will be staying there again in July. Best MK facing rooms---6022 to 6032. When we first stayed there the trees weren't too high & you could see the fireworks & castle perfectly from our balcony (6030). Its a little harder now. The Electric Water pagent can be seen from the boat dock & beach (the beach is best IMHO).
Zac is right, early mornings are great there. I love to get one of the rockers by the fireplace have my tea and take in the sights.
The Whispering Canyon Cafe is a must (esp breakfast...skillets...mmmm:slurp: )
The boat trip to the MK (or Contemporary) is beautiful...mornings are nice, sunset is beautiful and late at night is nice too, esp if you see the fireworks as you travel. If there is anything else you need to know just PM me & I'll do my best to answer.

(from another Katie's mom. :D )

Upvote 0

lukacseven

Personally, WL is my favorite resort to stay at. Remember to ask about going up on the roof and helping the "park ranger" raise and lower the flags at the resort. And you can also ask about taking a tour. They show you places you normally wouldn't see and some interesting facts. This is something that is normally not advertised by Disney, but can be arranged if requested.

Upvote 0
Wilderness Lodge is, in my opinion, one of the best Disney resorts. It is an awesome resort to stay at. Make sure that when you go to MK, you get to the boat early. I've had to wait almost an hour for this.

P.S. Eat dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. But make sure to make a reservation.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by disneydummy125
Wilderness Lodge is, in my opinion, one of the best Disney resorts. It is an awesome resort to stay at. Make sure that when you go to MK, you get to the boat early. I've had to wait almost an hour for this.

P.S. Eat dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. But make sure to make a reservation.

I don't know when you went, but we have never had to wait more than 15 min. As for the Whispering Canyon the only time we have ever made PS was when we had a group of 9 people.
We have gone at various times of the year & have never had a problem. Guess timing is everything. :lol:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I don't think the view would be as good. We always stay on the 6th floor & we always have a non smoking room. Never have had a problem.

Upvote 0

dlstc

Wish me luck!

Thanks tigsmom!

I've learned so much from you.

I will be calling WL a few days beforehand to make sure my preferences are noted (per advice from a CM at the hotel front desk).

I am really hoping for the view in a non-smoking room. Of course the only "must-have" is the bunk beds. It is the only reason we are staying at the WL instead of one of the monorail resorts. I know nothing is guaranteed but since we are traveling May 15th-22nd, I am hopeful.

Sprinkle some pixie dust for me!

Diana

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Just a word of caution...the bunk bed rooms are a little darker than the 2 queen bed rooms because a wall light is missing.
Last August we got upgraded to a courtyard view (Rm 6158) overlooking the quiet pool & the Villas. Looking to the left you could see Fort Wilderness Campground area...very nice, but far from everything. Think this is what we will ask for again this trip. :wave:

Upvote 0

dlstc

Lighting situation

I've heard these rooms can be a bit dark. I was planning on bringing one of those battery operated press on lights to help. Do you think that will work?:confused:

This being our first time, I think I'll still try for the fireworks/castle view. I think our 4 year old will be just thrilled to think she is sleeping next door to Cinderella and the other princesses!:sohappy:

Thanks

Diana

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

Well, we actually stayed on the 6th floor, courtyard view, facing the MK. We were pretty far towards the back of the resort, but the fireworks from a courtyard view are pretty hard to see. I'd say heading down to the beach is the best bet regardless of your room.

As far as the rooms being dark, I didn't notice it at all.

Man, I wish I were headed down for a stay at Walt Disney World's grand and beautiful Wilderness Lodge!!!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Re: Lighting situation

Originally posted by dlstc
I've heard these rooms can be a bit dark. I was planning on bringing one of those battery operated press on lights to help. Do you think that will work?:confused:

This being our first time, I think I'll still try for the fireworks/castle view. I think our 4 year old will be just thrilled to think she is sleeping next door to Cinderella and the other princesses!:sohappy:

Thanks

Diana

Well, it couldn't hurt. One word of caution with a small child...the balcony is totally enclosed. Please watch her that she doesn't pull a chair up to the edge to look over. :eek:
I'm sure you will be very vigilant, but just keep this in mind.
I saw a little boy drag the chair over to look out & his parents didn't even know he had left the room.

Upvote 0

katiesmom

Original Poster
Originally posted by disneydummy125

Now I'm worried... When did you stay at the resort? Were the parks really crowded as well?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We've gone at the height of the summer season...very crowded; to the point where the MK was closed due to high #s of visitors & we have never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a boat. Bus...well thats another story.(but still not too bad.)

Upvote 0

dlstc

Good point!

Good point about the chair. I've heard of parents requesting that chairs be removed from their rooms for this very reason. I'll keep this in mind!

Upvote 0

katiesmom

Original Poster
:) Thank for all the wonderful info. I feel alot better now about the boat. I'm not really worried about the bus transportation. We drive to Disney and will have our car to use. I'm really happy to hear that you can see the fireworks from the beach. Is that the best place from the resort to view the fireworks... or is there a better out of the way place to see them? Also, my kids are all excited about bunk beds. We have requested them... how offen are these requests met? Is there anything else I can do to make sure I will get them?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom