Wilderness Lodge

R&RsMom

We are planning a trip in mid to late October and were considering staying at the WL but I have a few questions?

How is the transportation? Our last 2 trips we stayed at the Contemp. and the GF and loved the transportation via monorail. Our children will be 2 and 5 when we go so we will be spending most of our time at the MK.

What is the best standard room to request?

Any mosquito problem? I have heard that this resort is particularly bad for mosquitos.

We had also considered the AKL but thought with two little ones that that resort would be too far since we will spend most of our time at the MK.

Any other suggestions/comments about the WL with young kids?

imagineer99

The Wilderness Lodge is a beautiful hotel. It has (in my opinion) some of the best theming on property only to be beaten by Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Wilderness is considered to be a Magic Kingdom resort, so the Magic Kingdom is the park within the closest proximity. If you will be spending a lot of time at the Magic Kingdom, this is a good choice. There is boat access that travels directly to the Magic Kingdom in addition to the buses. The boat may not be as quick as the Monorail, but it is a viable (and scenic) alternative. The Wilderness' location also easily affords you the opportunity to travel to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian with ease.

My personal favorite resort is the Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, taking your needs into consideration this would probably not be a good choice. Transportation options are limited only to the buses and the Magic Kingdom is far. It is a beautiful place, but the remoteness is a turnoff. If your not planning on renting a car, I don't think that the AKL would be a smart choice.

Mosquitoes are always a problem in Florida. Having stayed at the Wildereness lodge a couple of times, I did not notice an abnormal amount of them. However, no matter where you stay I would suggest you bring bug repellant or bug repellant wipes. This way those pesky insects will not be a problem.

The Whispering Canyon Cafe is a fun (and noisy) place to eat with your kids. The waiters are very active and food is served family style. This pool (complete with current and waterslide) is also very well themed and should be a great place for your kids. If I'm not mistaken, a character breakfast is served at Artist Point Restaurant. Dinner at Artist Point is also very good (however it is a formal dining atmosphere).

I hope this helps...HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

The Wilderness Lodge is our home base when at WDW. We absolutely love it. Its very easy to get to the MK or Contemporary via boat....you could then hit the monorail to travel to the other monorail resorts or EPCOT. The bus service isn't that bad & the transportation CM are very nice. (Hi guys!)

The views are great...though we usually get a woods view (room 6030 is our favorite...it faces the bog & the MK). Once we had a view of the smokehouse, but it wasn't that bad. Some people like a lobby view (to the inside), but we find that noisy (we have 2 kids 15 & 9).

We always use bug spray, but I've never seen the mosquito problem to be overwhelming...they spray nightly.

Unless they have restarted it ,there is no character breakfast at Artist Point...sorry. Hit the Whispering Canyon Cafe for an all you can eat skillet breakfast (yeah its noisy, but fun...pony express races for the kids...etc.) The Roarin Forks snack bar is a godsend...they have daily specials & cereals, sandwiches, snacks. Don't forget to buy those refillable mugs! :sohappy:

Feel free to pm me if you need anymore info. We hope to be returning to the WL in July.........

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

IMAGINEER99 and TIGSMOM said it best!

I can't add anything they haven't already said, but that I HIGHLY recommend a stay at the Wilderness Lodge! It's our favorite Resort!!!

Hmmmm....maybe I CAN add something....The WL boat also goes to Fort Wilderness which is a great side trip to explore and relax and maybe even take in the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue Dinner Show some night!!!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Ive just booked for the Lodge. Ive only taken a standard room as having read many online reviews many posters felt that the trees were getting to high to allow a good view on the woodside and that it was noisy on the courtyard side. Im still not sure whether to upgrade cause lets face it my room isa place to sleep and store my clothes while im at the park.:)

Are the buses to the other parks OK? as Id like to do less driving this trip.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

A lot of people feel that way about their room...We don't, but thats us. The bus stop (go out the door by the store and walk down the path) has 3 areas and the busses seem to run well. The only time we use our car is if we have a late PS for dinner, going to a late Fantasmic showing (its quicker to get back to the WL because you aren't fighting with everyone else for the last bus) or we are heading out to play mini golf/ do the Boardwalk.

:wave:

Upvote 0

lebernadin

Brer Stitch bringing up Ft. Wilderness reminded me of another thing to do, if you're into it. At the lodge's rental facility near it's beach they rent bikes among other things. We rented a few and rode all thru Ft. Wilderness' property one afternoon a few years back. I actually don't recall mosquitoes ever being an issue down there. But i haven't been there in every month so i'm not an expert by any means.

Upvote 0

PixyDust

mosquitoes

Burt's Bees Mosquito Repellant smells lemony and goes on easy. best repellant I've ever tried. Not a single bite during last fall's soccer season with the kids. And its not got all those chemicals in it - all natural. In fact, I'm a Burt's Bees junkie.

Upvote 0
One warning about the standard rooms is that they can be EXCEPTIONALLY noisy. Our first stay in the Lodge we had a wonderful location for getting to everything except we were directly above Whispering Canyon Cafe. You heard everything. From the galloping tray rests to the Pony express and especially the dinner bell. Nothing like trying to sleep in or take a nap and have "COME AND GET IT!" yelled.

We stayed in the Lodge last year but decided that rather than risk it we would get a woods view.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by EnSkywalker
One warning about the standard rooms is that they can be EXCEPTIONALLY noisy. Our first stay in the Lodge we had a wonderful location for getting to everything except we were directly above Whispering Canyon Cafe. You heard everything. From the galloping tray rests to the Pony express and especially the dinner bell. Nothing like trying to sleep in or take a nap and have "COME AND GET IT!" yelled.

We stayed in the Lodge last year but decided that rather than risk it we would get a woods view.

That happened to us on our first trip, too! :lol:

Thats why we usually ask for the 6th floor...woods view Rooms 6022 - 6032. Couldn't get it in August & we stayed in RM 6158...very nice. Had a view of the pool between the WL & the Villas & you could see the lake & Fort Wilderness from the balcony.

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

We have reservations for a WL woodsview room also. Can anyone tell me if rooms 6022-6032 have bunkbeds? We really like having them, it keeps the fighting over the bed between my two girls to a real minimum. thanks

Upvote 0

Donfan

No Mosquitoes

We spent four days there this past September and never saw or heard a mosquito the entire time. I'm sure they have repellent in the store, but I would wait until after you get there before you buy it. My experience was that you won't need it.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by 1stStarIC2nite
Hey tigsmom... so you are going to WL in July too? Cool! So am I.. we're going to be there from July 4th through the 8th. Hope to see ya there! :D

Dang...last 2 weeks in July for us. :wave:

(everytime we try to meet up with somebody from here it never works out...but we do run into others by accident, go figure. :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by GoofyFan1
We have reservations for a WL woodsview room also. Can anyone tell me if rooms 6022-6032 have bunkbeds? We really like having them, it keeps the fighting over the bed between my two girls to a real minimum. thanks

Haven't seen them, but I never really asked for them. We have 2 girls who share the second bed (boy do I know about those fights!! they are 15 & 9). We stay away from them because the room seems smaller and is darker because one of the wall lights is missing because the bunk is up against the wall.

(I tried to find the room layout, but with the new website its gone...woods view is called Lodge view.)

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

Originally posted by tigsmom
Haven't seen them, but I never really asked for them. We have 2 girls who share the second bed (boy do I know about those fights!! they are 15 & 9). We stay away from them because the room seems smaller and is darker because one of the wall lights is missing because the bunk is up against the wall.

(I tried to find the room layout, but with the new website its gone...woods view is called Lodge view.)

Thanks for trying. I'm not a big fan of the new format. If I find out about the bunkbeds, I'll let you know.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom