Wilderness Lodge or Swan & Dolphin

RUDancinDuck

Please help!!!!

So torn....i will be visiting during the food and wine festival so I would love to be close to Epcot. However I have stayed at the BC (my favorite of the three) yet have not stayed at either the Swan and Dolphin. I can't bring myself to stay there or validate staying there even because of the location. I am booked for WL since it has always been one I have wanted to stay at, yet never have. SHOULD I switch for location? or keep WL? BTW price is really no difference between the two for the rate i have (about 20 bucks difference)

so WL or Swan/Dolphin?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WL and S&D are very different resorts. WL is beautifully themed and exudes classic Disney from every pore but it is a good ways away from Epcot compared to S&D. S&D on the other had is a beautiful resort with larger rooms and better beds but there is nothing Disney about them. You also will give up certain Disney perks at S&D such as package delivery, DDP, DME and room charging. S&D also charges a daily parking fee if you have a car there.

Upvote 0

wolf359

WL or Swan/Dolphin?

...I am booked for WL since it has always been one I have wanted to stay at, yet never have...

...have not stayed at either the Swan and Dolphin. I can't bring myself to stay there...

I think the answer was hidden right there within your question.

I completely agree with Master Yoda. They are very different resorts, with Wilderness Lodge being very Disney and the Swan and Dolphin very NOT Disney.

I've stayed at the Swan and I really didn't care for it. The only quality I enjoyed at the hotel was its location. Losing most of the Disney resort perks, the Disney resort vibe, paying a mandatory resort fee and paying for parking all add up to an experience that I'm not interested in.

Upvote 0
I stayed at the Swan last year and I really enjoyed it. The location can't be beat and it had a much more grown up feel to the place without losing much whimsy. If you're heading down for the Food and Wine Festival, then I think it's a no-brainer. Who wants to get on a bus when you've got a good buzz going on anyway? Their beds are absolutely amazing as well!

By the way, I'm booked for the Wilderness Lodge in August. Can't wait!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I agree you already said that WL you wanted to always stay at. That is your decision right there and will be worth it. The boat ride to the MK is such a nice touch.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

You will clearly have most people here tell you to stay at WL over the S&D...this is a Disney board and people will always go with the Disney things. I agree that the WL is a magnificent resort and you should stay there if you have always wanted to. Location is always nice, but remember that nothing is ever too far away when you are in Disney. You will have a bus to take you back to the resort, so the wine aspect won't be an issue if you are a little farther away. The S&D are very nice resorts, but as others have said they aren't Disney and they don't really try to be either. Stick with what you want, and you will be fine.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My vote goes to Swan and Dolphin. Best bed on property, and you can't beat that location of being able to walk to the Studios and Epcot. Even better if you can get one of the WDWMAGIC rates of under $200.

Upvote 0

RUDancinDuck

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all your help! You all are so wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys were right....the answer was hidden in my question! Then looked at some pictures again of the resort and i'm keeping it WL!

For the F&W, what better choice than a bus system?....but I am doing MNSSHP too, so will be in MK quite a few times as well, and the boat is perfect!

WOOO HOOO WL here i come! 155 days!

Upvote 0

maelstrom

I would choose the Dolphin over just about any Disney resort (except the Contemporary and *maybe* the Polynesian), especially at Flower & Garden or Food & Wine time. I've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge twice, and I'd definitely stay there again if the price was right... but usually we get a better price at the Dolphin (nurse discount), plus Starwood points, being able to walk to Epcot and MGM and the surrounding hotels, etc. I used to be a huge fan of always staying in the Magic Kingdom area, but I have to admit to being a bit of a convert to the Epcot side of things now.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We've had friends stay at Swan and Dolphin, and while the beds are supposed to be amazing-especially after a long day trekking around the parks,etc.- they said it lacked the "magic." For that reason- we are going with WL for our Dec trip. Gotta just go with what's most important to you- sounds like you've made your choice :)

Upvote 0

jhtil

S&d

As the other posters have mentioned the S&D does not have that magical Disney feeling. One thing that they do have is the ability to stay using Starwood miles. I've had two stays there using miles and not paying for a room makes up for the loss of the "magic". The location is also great.

Upvote 0

awilliams4

If you are driving, you will pay another $10 per day to park. You will also pay another $10 per day for their daily mandatory service offering. 60 minutes of local calling, Internet service, USA Today paper, etc. So it is $20 more per day if parking there.

Upvote 0

awilliams4

Sorry, you will pay the extra fees at the Swan or Dolphin. We have stayed at both. Probably 20-25 nights in total over the past 3-4 years. Most of those nights were free using our Starwood American Express Rewards. We are DVC members now so we switched from using the Starwood Credit Card to a Disney Visa so we can use our rewards now for paying off DVC Maintenance Fees and just staying at a DVC resort now instead.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom