Wilderness Lodge or Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyWorldGuru

I have been to WDW tons of times but never to the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans Riverside. I cant figure out which to pick. I am planning on going to WDW Aug. 25 to Sept. 2 and need to book the trip soon. Which resort do you like better and why? HELP!!!

bamboo7

i'd have to go with wilderness lodge, although i love both resorts. i just love the atmosphere of the building, and expecially the small river flowing through it.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

i too love both resorts....but i personally have to go with RS....course, i could be bias seeing as it holds some major sentimental values for me! but i'm a lover of the medium priced resorts anyway, so regardless of sentimental, i'd probably pick this one.
i love WL, but it's just too massive for me....RS sort of has more of that 'down home' feel, which i guess i just feel more at ease with. i just love RS's layout and they have the best food court on WDW property! not to mention their delivered pizzas are to DIE for!!! :slurp: so Riverside definately gets my vote!

Upvote 0

Jimmy

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
I have been to WDW tons of times but never to the Wilderness Lodge and Port Orleans Riverside. I cant figure out which to pick. I am planning on going to WDW Aug. 25 to Sept. 2 and need to book the trip soon. Which resort do you like better and why? HELP!!!

Having never stayed at POR, I can only give you advice on the WL. WL is my favorite resort ( I have stayed at CS, the Contemporary & all of the AS). The first time I stayed at the WL I could not explain why a room I paid $200/night was worth it, but it was. After staying at the impressive CS, I realized why. When we stay at the WL, we do not feel like we are in a hotel. It has a very homey feel to it. If money is no object take the discount offered and stay at the WL.:wave:

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

i really cant help you here i like both of them also WL has special meaning for me because i stayed there for my honeymoon. In three weeks we are staying at por and i have stayed there before. My advice to you is how much do you want to spend alot or not so much if its not so much then go with por if alot go with WL

Upvote 0

disneydudette

definatly the WL.....

we were dissapointed in POR.....everything was spread out.....and buses can get to be a pain with 2000+ rooms and sharing the buses with POFQ.....when its prime time for a bus....POR is a beautiful resort....but if I had teh chance I'd move up to the WL.....

WL...is also in a better location....close to MK...which is great if u have young kids......

+ WL is a deluxe...more money...but a better service!

Upvote 0

Worldphile

I have never stayed at POR, but here are my thoughts on the Wilderness Lodge which we have stayed at a couple of times.

WL is close to the MK which is our favorite park. So, we try to stay at a MK resort whenever possible. If you prefer Epcot or MGM, POR may be better for you.

WL is more compact. It is a vertical structure, so it is a shorter trip from your room to package pickup, restaurants, bus stop, boat dock, etc. My understanding is that POR is more spread out. Also, access to all of the above is inside at WL. So, no walking through the rain to get your packages.

WL has a hot tub (2 actually). We found it to be very restful to be able to soak tired feet and legs in the hot tub after a long day in the parks.

WL has Artist Point. This is a great restaurant. The food is excellent and the murals are awesome.

WL has more rooms with Queen size beds and the rooms are a little larger (I think.) You didn't say if you would be travelling with children, so this may not matter to you.

Finally, we just like the atmosphere of the WL. Some things just boil down to personal prefernce. :)

Either way though, you'll be fine. I have yet to stay at a bad Disney resort. :sohappy: They are all great.

Upvote 0

DisneyWorldGuru

Original Poster
I really want to stay at WL but I have to try and talk my friends in to spending a little more money on a better resort. Please keep posting about your fav. The more help the better.

YES!!! POST NUMBER 400!!!

Upvote 0

kal1484

I love them both. POR is nice because of the food court, and its like just a lazy resort. But, i would go with WL, because the whole atmosphere is better, and i like looking outside and seeing the castle, it's kinda cool (i think you can see, been a long time since I've been there) Also, the buses are better I feel.

Upvote 0

Cricket2713

I can't give any opinion on POR sice I have never stayed there. But on my last two trips (98 and 01) I did stay at the WL. And next year I will again be staying at WL. Why? Its hard to describe. Is it expensive? Yes. But it is more than worth it. In 95 I stayed at the CBR and while it was nice (and less expensive) it wasn't great. Even though you don;t really spend that much time in your room I think the extra expense is worth it. Amosphere is everything.
Anyone who can walk into the lobby of WL and not be impressed should not be allowed to go to any of the parks. :D And the waterfall and stream are beautiful. But then again I love the theme of the WL. Others may not. I don't happen to be interested in the theme of POR so for me it wouldn't be a resort I would want to stay at.
Hope this helps.
:)

Upvote 0

copper

There is great rate available at the WL $129 standard room if you use a code from mousesavers.com Try the website, they have great discounts.

Upvote 0

DisneyWorldGuru

Original Poster
Thanks for your help.

I hope to book it tommorow. I am going to stay at the Wilderness Lodge Courtyard View. I can't wait!!! I have the whole trip planned out in my mind. LOL. I will book it as soon as Disney is open. (I think it is 7:00am) Thanks for all of your help.

-Brent "DisneyWorldGuru":wave:

Upvote 0

Juggler

You won't regret WL! Our room was on the ground floor overlooking a pond at the side. We had a great view of the Contemporary and on an evening, if we just wanted to relax, we'd sit and watch the fireworks in MK.

One warning, if you get the boat back from MK, remember your at WL and not WL camp ground. It was New years Eve/Day gone 1am and I got off the boat at the camp ground. :hammer: It was the last boat!! A very nice Disney Transport driver went out of his way to take us back to WL. What a star he was!

Upvote 0

jaimjaim25

I love both resorts, but if I had to pick between the 2, it would be Wilderness Lodge. In 1994 or 1995, can't remember which year, we saw Alex Trebek there.. hehe.. He was there with his son. My parents rode up with him in the elevator:animwink:

Upvote 0

Terp02

Why not stay at both? Split the time up. Both are great resorts and definitely both worth staying at. I like the theming at the Wilderness better since I love the NW US National Parks, but PORS is nice because u get to walk in such a nice environment. But if I had to pick, and if I had the money, I'd stay at the Wilderness because it's very well done, and secluded. But try to stay at both!

Upvote 0

DisneyWorldGuru

Original Poster
Well I did it. I booked the Wilderness Lodge with the Courtyard view. I cant wait only 61 more days. Does anyone have any good websites on the WL (besides mine {LoL}) Thank you to everyone. I cant wait for the trip. I will tell you all about it when I get back.

-Brent "DisneyWorldGuru"

Attachments

• wildernesslodge.jpg
    wildernesslodge.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom