Wilderness Lodge - How Big a Factor is the Location?

lebeau

I know the Wilderness Lodge is much beloved. And many will tell me that it is definitely worth the money. I am eye balling it for our next trip. But the step up from the Mods is a bit intimidating and I need to sell it to the Mrs.

Money being no factor, she would like to stay on the monorail line for convenience. But since that isn't in the budget, I'm wondering about the WL. I know they have the boats to the MK. Just how convenient is the WL compared to the mods? (Mrs. lebeau is still steaming about the POR bus rides from 2010.)

I don't want to oversell the convenience factor and then have her be disappointed when we get there. But if it is significantly more convenient than the Mods, that would definitely weigh into our decision.

What say you, WL fans?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have never really understood the awesomeness of the epcot resorts.. I have stayed in the boardwalk twice and really didn't like it. Sure its in the middle of the world basically, but you have to walk, boat or drive to Epcot and DHS. I hate walking probably b/c I have a herniated disc in my back that causes agony

I think you answered your own question - you have a particular condition that makes it bad for YOU - not everyone else.

For others.. being able to take a leisurely stroll and hit multiple 'attractions' is a positive.

(coming from a guy with a ruptured disc, 2 herniated, 1 surgery already.. and another coming)

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
To the OP...

WL is valued for it's serenity. The boats offer a transportation option to 'slow your world down a bit'. They are relaxing and a good way to ramp up, or ramp down a day. They are not your fastest path, but they can be enjoyed if you are not in a rush.

I wouldn't consider the location all that remote.. not really worse then the Contemporary.

Pros:
Seclusion
Atmosphere
Different from your everyday hotel
Alternative Transportation options

Cons:
Not centrally located (but none of the MK properties are)
slightly further off the main drag then some others
Cost

If one wanted the most transportation options.. really the EPCOT resorts are the best for that.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

If one wanted the most transportation options.. really the EPCOT resorts are the best for that.

Actually, I'd give that nod to the Polynesian.

Monorail, Ferry or Launch to Magic Kingdom.
Monorail to Epcot.

Poly only shares bus with Contemporary. Epcot Resorts (all 5 of them) share going to Animal Kingdom, water parks and Downtown Disney.

And while Animal Kingdom Lodge is the most remote resort, it has the quickest commute to many areas of WDW because they're all direct and don't share with other resorts. Literally, took 15 minutes from the moment I was picked up at Kidani Village to get dropped off at Epcot. No other resort (except the Polynesian) would get you to the front entrance of Epcot so quickly.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

To the OP...

WL is valued for it's serenity. The boats offer a transportation option to 'slow your world down a bit'. They are relaxing and a good way to ramp up, or ramp down a day. They are not your fastest path, but they can be enjoyed if you are not in a rush.

I wouldn't consider the location all that remote.. not really worse then the Contemporary.

Pros:
Seclusion
Atmosphere

Cons:
Cost

The Epcot deluxe resorts are great if you are going to Epcot or the Studios. However, anywhere else can be a bit of a transportation nightmare. Going to the MK isn't too bad if you are staying at Yacht or Beach since they share a bus (Boardwalk, Swan, and Dolphin share for that route). However, for DTD or AK you share a bus with all 5 locations and that can add a good amount of time to your trip if you are on one of the ends. I have found it better sometimes to get off the bus at the first stop and just walk to where I need to go.

Monorail to Epcot.

Poly only shares bus with Contemporary. Epcot Resorts (all 5 of them) share going to Animal Kingdom, water parks and Downtown Disney.

The Polynesian shares a bus with the Contemporary and Grand Floridian on the Studios and Downtown Disney route. For some reason on the Animal Kingdom route it only shares with the Contemporary and then the Grand Floridan shares with Wilderness Lodge. While somewhere in an office it must make sense, I don't fully get why they change the breakup of the resorts in the MK area. It probably has to do with how many people from each resort go to each park, but it still just seems odd to me.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
THAT is exactly WHY we stay at the WL....location location location....Magic Kingdom is our favorite and being able to zip back and forth on a whim is awesome. The boats are both fun and timely...would rather take a boat than a bus ANY day!!! It's like your own private service....while I love everything about the lodge itself, the location clinches the whole works for me. I don't care for the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian....the Polynesian looks fun and I would consider it for monorail service....but the WL has too many other reasons to snare me....:animwink:.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Wilderness is easily one of my two favorite resorts (DAKL being the other). Although maybe a tiny bit longer than the monorail the boat is incredibly convenient and usually the line to ride is MUCH shorter than that of the monorail at the end of the night. Personally I love the look and feel of WL better than the other monorail resorts anyway. I'd say definitely go for it! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I never experienced so much bus sharing.... but it has been decades since I've stayed at the Poly or Contemp and rode their buses. When we stayed at the Poly, we would walk to TTC. Boardwalk was being built when I stayed at beach.

Shades of Green doesn't share with anyone :) :) And when we would goto TTC, I don't think that shares with anyone either.

I like the EPCOTs for flexibility... 'chose your path' so to speak.

I find monorail to MK kind of all fluff for us... I mean its only one of 4 parks and not the park I spend the most time in. But it is nice for end of evening after staying late at MK.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
If time is a factor, then the bus is always the way to go when trying to get to MK. It is so much faster than taking the boat.

Time is a factor. But this is more about perceived convenience. Basically, my wife disdains the buses. A leisurely boat ride is fine even if it is a little slower.

The WL is our first home away from home. Not only is there a boat to the MK but you can also get a boat to the Contemp...which gives your Mrs. her monorail access with a huge savings on the budget. Our second and new home away from home is the Boardwalk. I just love this area of the World. Walking to Epcot is great and we tend to have alot of ADR's at Epcot so its perfect for that.

The easy access to the monorail was a big part of what attracted me to WL as I knew it would make Mindy happy. I did run the Swan and Dolphin past her this morning and I think that may be the way the winds are blowing if we can foot the bill.

DHS and Epcot are my wife's favorite parks. The kids like them too. Being able to walk or take a boat to two parks is extremely appealing to her.

The Swan & Dolphin are much less expensive than the other Epcot resorts (Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk Inn) but offer many of the same conveniences. The walk to DHS is under 20 minutes, Epcot under 15 minutes, reallly depends on how fast of a walker you are. I suggest you use Bing or Google Maps to see what it looks like from the sky. Fron the Swan & Dolphin, you'll be able to enjoy the Boardwalk, which is usually hopping at night when Epcot closes. The Swan and Dolphin also share a lovely outdoor pool complex.

The major downside is that you'll have to pay for transportation from the airport to the hotels. 'Magic Your Way' service is not offered.

I did not know about Magical Express. That's good to know. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but something to consider. I expect to be arriving late at night with 2 little ones. And wrangling bags, kids and a stroller is a hassle!

Also, I know the Swan and Dolphin have a $14/night "resort fee" as well. So, I'll have to do the math once Disney discounts come online.

The WL is great, it has the best WDW resort lobby. (I also like the AKL lobby.) I love the 1920s/1930s feel of the Boardwalk, it's my favorite WDW resort. However, the WL is expensive and the Boardwalk Inn is really expensive, often double the price of a Moderate Resort.

We stayed at AKL once. Great lobby!

We visited the Boardwalk for the first time in 2010. Unfortunately, my wife was mad at me for a very long busride it took to get there from DTD. The Boardwalk was the last stop of all the Epcot resorts and by the time we got there she had stopped talking to me. But it sure looked nice for the 10-15 minutes I spent there getting the evil eye.

The Epcot resorts are also connected to each other via a boat. You can catch a boat near the International Gateway entrance from Epcot to DHS, with 3 stops at the Boardwalk, Yacht/Beach, and Swan/Dolphin. I didn't time it but have the impression that it took about the same amount of time as the boat between WL & MK. I remember that the WL boat stopped at the Wilderness campground but don't remember if it also stopped at the Contemporary.

That's extremely appealing. A slow boat ride to Epcot is just fine. We took the boat from The Boardwalk to Epcot and by the time we got there my wife was speaking to me again. Ah, the healing power of boat rides!

Several people have posted that they compared the walk time between Epcot/DHS and have reported that it's faster than the boat. The convenience of the boat is that you can sit and rest for a bit, nice if you are recharging your batteries.

Amen. Especially with a spouse who doesn't love Disney, two little girls and possibly my mom tagging along!

This is our all time favorite resort. The price point is at the highest end we're willing to pay (the most I've paid for a room here is $225/night for conceirge) and we've gotten rooms as low as $144/night here.

That's pretty much what I'm looking at. I wouldn't pay any more, but it just may be worth it. For $144/night, I'd jump on that!

What we like about it is it removes us from the "Florida feel" of the rest of the resort, and that everything seems to move slower/have a calmer feel here. We've never had a problem with the boat service (and it's probably more convenient nowadays than the monorail is). But honestly the secret to the WL is the BUS service to and from MK. It has it's own dedicated bus and it a VERY short drive...and because of that. It runs about every 10 mins. And since everybody thinks about the boat as the primary way to get to/from the Kingdom...the bus is usually relatively empty!

Enjoy!

Good to know about the buses. And thanks!

I have never really understood the awesomeness of the epcot resorts.. I have stayed in the boardwalk twice and really didn't like it. Sure its in the middle of the world basically, but you have to walk, boat or drive to Epcot and DHS. I hate walking probably b/c I have a herniated disc in my back that causes agony. I'd rather save the walking for inside the park and the boats seem extremely slow to me. When you take a bus to AK or MK all the Epcot resorts share the same bus, so you have overcrowded buses with a ton of stops. I'll take OKW any day. I don't want you guys to think I'm lazy but the herniated disc really takes it out of you even after just one day of walking. I'm getting a epidural shot today that is supposed to help I hope it stays with me for my April visit.

As I mentioned before, the multiple stops on our once-ever bus trip to The Boardwalk got me in the dog house. I'll have to make sure the Mrs. understands that going in if we opt for an Epcot resort.

To the OP...

Pros:
Seclusion
Atmosphere

Cons:
Cost

Cost is a pretty big Con.

Those Epcot resorts (assuming we can fit them in the budget) are looking pretty good...

Monorail to Epcot.

And while Animal Kingdom Lodge is the most remote resort, it has the quickest commute to many areas of WDW because they're all direct and don't share with other resorts. Literally, took 15 minutes from the moment I was picked up at Kidani Village to get dropped off at Epcot. No other resort (except the Polynesian) would get you to the front entrance of Epcot so quickly.

If money were no object (which it is) the Poly would be my first choice.

The Epcot deluxe resorts are great if you are going to Epcot or the Studios. However, anywhere else can be a bit of a transportation nightmare. Going to the MK isn't too bad if you are staying at Yacht or Beach since they share a bus (Boardwalk, Swan, and Dolphin share for that route). However, for DTD or AK you share a bus with all 5 locations and that can add a good amount of time to your trip if you are on one of the ends. I have found it better sometimes to get off the bus at the first stop and just walk to where I need to go.
Yeah, I remember the DTD bus to the Boardwalk - believe me!

We'll likely spend no more than a day at AK, so that's not a huge deal. But there may be multiple trips to DTD.

The Polynesian shares a bus with the Contemporary and Grand Floridian on the Studios and Downtown Disney route. For some reason on the Animal Kingdom route it only shares with the Contemporary and then the Grand Floridan shares with Wilderness Lodge. While somewhere in an office it must make sense, I don't fully get why they change the breakup of the resorts in the MK area. It probably has to do with how many people from each resort go to each park, but it still just seems odd to me.

That does seem odd.

THAT is exactly WHY we stay at the WL....location location location....Magic Kingdom is our favorite and being able to zip back and forth on a whim is awesome. The boats are both fun and timely...would rather take a boat than a bus ANY day!!! It's like your own private service....while I love everything about the lodge itself, the location clinches the whole works for me. I don't care for the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian....the Polynesian looks fun and I would consider it for monorail service....but the WL has too many other reasons to snare me....:animwink:.

Yep, boats > busses for us as well.

You guys have given me a lot to think about! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

I would figure out what park you frequent the most. If you are looking for convenience and price then WL is the way to go if you are an MK fan. If you are going to spend more time at Epcot or HS, then I would suggest Boardwalk (its really not much more than WL). The main attraction for me is the fact that everything is in the main building at those resorts, i hate having to go outside and have a long walk just to go to the lobby. The times that transportation are noticed the most are when you are tired. Not having to wait in a horrendous bus line at the MK after wishes is a huge plus, you would be back to the resort and in your room in less than the amount of time you would spend in line waiting for a bus at a value or moderate. I am too impatient, so that is why i don't mind spending the extra money, it truly is all about convenience, although the rooms are slightly nicer, and usually less kids running around screaming late at night.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I've never shared a bus with the GF while staying at the Poly and vice versa. It's always worked like this (from my experience):

Poly shares with Contemporary for Animal Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney.
WL shares with FW for Epcot.
WL shares with GF for AK, DHS, TL, BB, and DTD.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
Wow, multiple trips to DTD. From a convenience perspectve, that's tough. I don't think I've ever stayed at any WDW resort with good service to DTD. We've had trips that took 1 1/2 hours from a WDW resort to DTD, between waiting for the bus, all the stops, and travel time. (I recall lots of stop lights.) Not a happy way to spend your time, sitting on a bus. The bus was not crowded at that might be the problem. There were not a lot of people trying to get to DTD and so the bus shared a lot of stops with other resorts and TL.

We've taken the boat from POFQ to DTD but this was a long ride. Now we only go to DTD when we have a car.

Hopefully, someone can think of a Disney resort with good DTD service.

We didn't mind the boat rides to and from DTD from POR.

Transportation to and from DTD isn't exactly a priority. But we do seem to spend quite a bit of time there. And if my mom comes along, that will be even more true. Mom likes to shop! She doesn't actually buy much of anything. But she could spend a week browsing DTD and then buy a magnet.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I've never shared a bus with the GF while staying at the Poly and vice versa. It's always worked like this (from my experience):

Poly shares with Contemporary for Animal Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney.
WL shares with FW for Epcot.
WL shares with GF for AK, DHS, TL, BB, and DTD.

Perhaps it had to do with the buses getting full. I'm just speaking from what I know I have seen before. On this page it shows signs from the parks showing what bus is at which stop (from Sept). I've been at the parks every few weeks since June though and can't really remember any other variations.

http://coronado.forumotion.com/t92-csr-bus-stops

Upvote 0

devoy1701

What about staying at a Moderate Resort and renting a car? I'm pretty sure you can get a room and car for less than a Deluxe Resort. We know the WDW roads very well. For us, driving is nearly always the fastest, least frustrating, way to get around.

OP mentioned wanting to upgrade from staying at a Mod.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
What about staying at a Moderate Resort and renting a car? I'm pretty sure you can get a room and car for less than a Deluxe Resort. We know the WDW roads very well. For us, driving is nearly always the fastest, least frustrating, way to get around.

OP mentioned wanting to upgrade from staying at a Mod.

I'm considering the upgrade. There's a good chance we'll end up back at a Mod. But if I feel the extra provides enough bang for the buck, the WL and S&D are the ones I'm considering paying extra for.

My wife does not want to rent a car. We don't know the roads so well and I am notoriously bad about getting lost. I can get lost in a parking lot. It's a family trait. Odds are one of my parents is lost right now. My dad bought a GPS device but I'm pretty sure it's gone missing.

We actually stayed off-site and rented a car once. No mishaps. But my wife's prefence is to rely on Disney transportation while minimizing bus transportation and not breaking the bank. Easy, right? :lookaroun

Upvote 0

devoy1701

I'm considering the upgrade. There's a good chance we'll end up back at a Mod. But if I feel the extra provides enough bang for the buck, the WL and S&D are the ones I'm considering paying extra for.

My wife does not want to rent a car. We don't know the roads so well and I am notoriously bad about getting lost. I can get lost in a parking lot. It's a family trait. Odds are one of my parents is lost right now. My dad bought a GPS device but I'm pretty sure it's gone missing.

We actually stayed off-site and rented a car once. No mishaps. But my wife's prefence is to rely on Disney transportation while minimizing bus transportation and not breaking the bank. Easy, right? :lookaroun

I don't mind Disney Transportation to DtD from WL. It's not one of those overly crowded routes like coming home from a theme park at closing so you usually have a seat, and I figure as long as I'm not having to drive...just sit back and relax right? Enjoy the time getting to chat with your family instead of having to curse some tourist driver who just made a right turn from the far left lane cutting you off!

Remember that staying at WL also means you'll be treated to seeing the Water Pageant from the beach at 9:35pm each night. Or take the resort launch boat over to Ft Wilderness to enjoy Campfire Stories with Chip and Dale or to go to the Hoop de Doo. Also ask about being the flag family or watching the fireworks from the roof one night.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
I don't mind Disney Transportation to DtD from WL. It's not one of those overly crowded routes like coming home from a theme park at closing so you usually have a seat, and I figure as long as I'm not having to drive...just sit back and relax right? Enjoy the time getting to chat with your family instead of having to curse some tourist driver who just made a right turn from the far left lane cutting you off!

Remember that staying at WL also means you'll be treated to seeing the Water Pageant from the beach at 9:35pm each night. Or take the resort launch boat over to Ft Wilderness to enjoy Campfire Stories with Chip and Dale or to go to the Hoop de Doo. Also ask about being the flag family or watching the fireworks from the roof one night.

You are making an excellent case for WL!

Campfire Stories with Chip and Dale would be very appealing. We love the 'munks!

Thanks, yes, you're right. I think the OP was trying to use the convenience of a Deluxe Resort as a way of "selling" an upgrade to the Mrs. I mistakenly thought the main reason for the upgrade was for more convenience, with price being an important consideration.

Little bit of both really. I wouldn't want to spend money on an upgrade that wasn't worth it.

At the end of the day, I'll be the one to make the call as to where we stay. Mindy won't object or even offer much of an opinion. Even if I try to get her buy-in. If I say we can afford to stay at the Poly (and we can't), she'll just take me at my word. So, it's not so much a matter of getting permission.

However, if I do pull the trigger on an upgrade and the transportation situation is as bad or worse than it was last time, I'm going to hear about it. Mindy was very irritated through much of our 2010 trip and it frequently sucked the fun out of things. I'm trying to avoid that happening again if at all possible. If upgrading to a lower-cost deluxe will make things run smoothly, I'll try to make that happen.

We love the Deluxe Resorts but they are expensive.

Boy howdy, aren't they?

From a convenience perspective, it's hard to justify their price. For example, Boardwalk is $400/night in late April, POR is $180/night. Is the Boardwalk really $220/night more convenient than POR? We've stayed at both and like the Boardwalk more. But generally we'd rather double the length of our vacation or go on 2 vacations (we don't have to fly) for the same amount of money. With that said, we've also stayed at every Deluxe Resort because we wanted the experience and variety. However, this is just our preferences. I recognize that other people have different priorities.

I agree there's no way that the location itself makes the upgrade worth the price. But if the transportation situation is significantly better, than that combined with the other ammenities might make it worthwhile.

It's also going to depend on Disney offering a good deal. We're going in early Nov, so I figure there should be some good discounts out there. Without a discount, the upgrade ain't happening.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

You are making an excellent case for WL!

Campfire Stories with Chip and Dale would be very appealing. We love the 'munks!

Little bit of both really. I wouldn't want to spend money on an upgrade that wasn't worth it.

At the end of the day, I'll be the one to make the call as to where we stay. Mindy won't object or even offer much of an opinion. Even if I try to get her buy-in. If I say we can afford to stay at the Poly (and we can't), she'll just take me at my word. So, it's not so much a matter of getting permission.

However, if I do pull the trigger on an upgrade and the transportation situation is as bad or worse than it was last time, I'm going to hear about it. Mindy was very irritated through much of our 2010 trip and it frequently sucked the fun out of things. I'm trying to avoid that happening again if at all possible. If upgrading to a lower-cost deluxe will make things run smoothly, I'll try to make that happen.

Boy howdy, aren't they?

I agree there's no way that the location itself makes the upgrade worth the price. But if the transportation situation is significantly better, than that combined with the other ammenities might make it worthwhile.

It's also going to depend on Disney offering a good deal. We're going in early Nov, so I figure there should be some good discounts out there. Without a discount, the upgrade ain't happening.

It boils down to this...at the Wilderness Lodge you're going to get the feel of a slower paced vacation...even if you're touring the parks Commando Style. I'm not saying that only because it takes a bit longer to get some places (the longest being DtD, and heading to AK will take about 20-25 mins via bus), but it just has a secluded, rustic, peaceful ambiance about it that I think calms your soul. The huge lobby and towering totem poles eat up the sounds of the hustle and bustle of everyone coming and going...even the excitment from Whispering Canyon seems almost a faint whisper. And when you sit in front of the fire places either on the first floor or on the 3rd or 4th above the front doors...forget it, you're in another world.

And that courtyard...it's just majestic...and the rushing stream and waterfall again seems to make the laughing and screaming from the pool area just seems to fit so natually with the exploding geyser and cast-off horns of the boat launches.

We don't pay for the convenience of the WL...or to say that we're staying deluxe (take that you value resorters you! :zipit:). We pay for that mood, aura, and calming atmosphere that fills the resort.

Like I said...it's our favorite resort, and well worth the upgrade over a Mod in my opinion. It's the one aspect of WDW that I really don't think TDO can actually screw up for me. I should mention that our favorite place to vacation is in the Smokies...and the WL is the closest thing we can get to that type of setting within an hour drive...so the theming plays right along with our interests.

The only thing I recommend is that you make sure you do not get a room on the north side of the resort overlooking the Deliveries area...and we also prefer to not have a room overlooking the courtyard either as the sounds do seem to echo off the building when you get higher up.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

I never understand this - If you don't spend much time in your room, why not just stay at a Value?:shrug:

Because of the other guests at that resort.... Whether it be the large groups, or the others who have taken social welfare into their hands in order to pay for the trip. I've seen some interesting stuff before, sadly it still happens in WDW.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i love love love the resort itself but find the boat ride just to slow to/from the mk and everything else is by bus just like the mods so it just doesn't stay on my radar as a good reason to spend the extra money. for me when i upgrade to a deluxe and we know we're spending most of our time at mk i book on the monorail loop itself. i watch for room only discounts. when we go, for instance, for food and wine we book either at a mod or one of the epcot/boardwalk area deluxe resorts.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
It boils down to this...at the Wilderness Lodge you're going to get the feel of a slower paced vacation...even if you're touring the parks Commando Style. I'm not saying that only because it takes a bit longer to get some places (the longest being DtD, and heading to AK will take about 20-25 mins via bus), but it just has a secluded, rustic, peaceful ambiance about it that I think calms your soul. The huge lobby and towering totem poles eat up the sounds of the hustle and bustle of everyone coming and going...even the excitment from Whispering Canyon seems almost a faint whisper. And when you sit in front of the fire places either on the first floor or on the 3rd or 4th above the front doors...forget it, you're in another world.

And that courtyard...it's just majestic...and the rushing stream and waterfall again seems to make the laughing and screaming from the pool area just seems to fit so natually with the exploding geyser and cast-off horns of the boat launches.

We don't pay for the convenience of the WL...or to say that we're staying deluxe (take that you value resorters you! :zipit:). We pay for that mood, aura, and calming atmosphere that fills the resort.

Like I said...it's our favorite resort, and well worth the upgrade over a Mod in my opinion. It's the one aspect of WDW that I really don't think TDO can actually screw up for me. I should mention that our favorite place to vacation is in the Smokies...and the WL is the closest thing we can get to that type of setting within an hour drive...so the theming plays right along with our interests.

They should really hire you to promote the place. I'm ready to book my stay!

Last Thanksgiving we stayed at the Dolphin for $139/night. Even with the resort fee, this was much less expensive than the Moderate Resorts and about 1/3 the price of the other Epcot Deluxe Resorts for the same week. We booked this in October. They might not offer rates this low again until after summer. You might want to start monitoring the Swan & Dolphin website. Last time I looked, the non-refundable rates for November were $179/night.

I'd rather have been in the Boardwlk but at 1/3 the price, it was a no-brainer for us. We used the money we "saved" and booked out first Disney Cruise!

I saw rates of $139 advertised through the spring. But I think that offer may be booked. Doesn't really help me anyway as I'll be there in the fall. But if I can get $139/night in Nov, that's a no-brainer!

I did call about the teacher discount. My mom's a teacher so if she came and we made the reservation in her name we could take advantage of that. The price that was quoted for 5 of us using the teacher discount was $224/night which is not bad at all. But if I can get that under $200/night for 5 people, that would be hard to pass up.

It does seem like S&D have the potential to be much less expensive than the other deluxes. But if I can get it cheaper than a moderate, that's the end of the discussion.

i love love love the resort itself but find the boat ride just to slow to/from the mk and everything else is by bus just like the mods so it just doesn't stay on my radar as a good reason to spend the extra money. for me when i upgrade to a deluxe and we know we're spending most of our time at mk i book on the monorail loop itself. i watch for room only discounts. when we go, for instance, for food and wine we book either at a mod or one of the epcot/boardwalk area deluxe resorts.

Excellent feedback, thanks!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom