wilderness campground-yeah or nay?

timkelmom

As a ful-time RVers, this is the only resort we've ever stayed in. We stay in campgrounds all over the US. This is by far our favorite and the nicest.

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

I like it..Its quiet and really nice....Very big.. if you like outdoorsy type stuff then you should like it...tThey have playgrounds and country outpost stores..You can rent bikes..and canoes and go horse back riding..They also have the campfire and movie with chip and Dale..It is really nice..So that is my opinion on it..Have Fun No matter where you stay....

Upvote 0

aszelinski

seabee1 said:
Anyone ever stay at the Wilderness camp ground? If so what did you think? Just curious?

In my book it is a big YEAH !!!!
I have stayed at both the campground and the cabins and I love both.
Of course there are other factors to think about... if you have kids they will love it... Staying there in the summer months can be quite hot but if you are use to that sort of thing not a problem. And then there is the getting around (buses).. now you will read both good and bad on the subject of getting around Fort Wilderness... as for me I have never had a problem. The internal buses run about 10 to 15 minutes apart... and the external (to the parks) run about the same. I strongly suggest reading the bus info and map when you check-in... once you understand the system it will come easy. And never be afraid to ask a CM or Bus Driver they are always glad to help and sometimes can give you a tip that becomes very valuable. One of the best things about FW is the boat launch to MK.... love it! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I have booked a lot of clients in the cabins. Please keep in mind that since it is such a vast area, you may need to rent a golf cart to get around.

Pam

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member
seabee1 said:
Anyone ever stay at the Wilderness camp ground? If so what did you think? Just curious?

We've never camped there but we did stay in the Cabins a few times. There is so much to do there I think you could spend a few days just exploring the campground. Definitely rent the golf carts. We had a blast just cruising the campground and checking out the holiday decorations ( 1 trip around Christmas, 1 over the 4th) A nice way to wind down at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

bidnow5

I live near one of the best in the country (Normandy Farms) and I would take Wilderness Campground any day. We love it and whenever we get a chance to take our motorhome to Disney we stay there

Upvote 0

WeLComeHomE OKW

As a kid this is the only place my family stayed. It was lots of fun and a great expereince. Infact, when we became Vacation Club members me and my sister were so angry at my parents! *(im happy now, at the time i didnt realize how amazing it was)*, but the campgrounds are excellent.

Upvote 0

rob45

Fort Wilderness campground has been voted #1 by the Good Sam club in the past few years. I truly enjoy the campground and all it has to offer. It's like a theme park all by itself. The campfire program is one of my favorite activities at night. :wave:

Upvote 0

seabee1

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. We are going in Dec. and staying at Shades of Green, but it is killing us to wait that long so we were thinking that maybe during our summer road trips we could make a little detour!:lookaroun I was just worried that it wouldn't be as good as staying at a "resort". I forgot about the boat to MK though. That is a definate plus. It sounds like there is plenty of fun to be had. Like I would expect anything less from Disney.:) This may become the plan. Oh, now I am all excited!:D Thanks guys!!:wave:

Just thought of something: What does Disney consider "full hook up" and "preferred sites"?

Upvote 0
I've stayed at the campgrounds twice now and I LOVE it.

Last year we went down and camped in a tent, before that we stayed in an RV. The camping was a lot of fun. The campgrounds were clean and where we camped were surprisingly quiet.

The shower faciliteis were well maintained, the bus stops are a good distance apart, expect some walking. The buses ran often and yes the boat launches are a very welcome change of pace.

I would definitely stay there again.

Upvote 0

Ciciwoowoo

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
As a kid this is the only place my family stayed. It was lots of fun and a great expereince. Infact, when we became Vacation Club members me and my sister were so angry at my parents! *(im happy now, at the time i didnt realize how amazing it was)*, but the campgrounds are excellent.

We can relate to that sentiment! We are DVC members now too, but we go to Fort Wilderness every trip to poke around and enjoy ourselves. We love staying at the Boardwalk, but there is just something so very special about FW.

As for full hookup, its probably the same as it is with any campgroup. Electric, water and sewer is generally full hookup. I think preferred sites are the ones near the front.

My aunt and uncle stayed there recently and they said the preferred sites were actually quite crowded together and next time they would chose to say at a non-preferred site. They like the wilderness aspect more than the convience.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom