Wifi connectivity issues

FigmentsFangirl

Original Poster
I am not sure of where this should go, but pretty much all day today and most of yesterday I've been being consistently dropped from WDW's resort inroom wifi. Even trying to post this the connection pretty much drops to nil, forcing me to reconnect the wifi on my laptop to the network. Then it works fine for about two minutes and does it again.

I'm not sure of anyone else having this problem, for all I know I am possibly the only one with a laptop and tracphone at the resorts at this point with all the iphones and whatnot. I just wonder now, am I the only one experinecing constant disconnecting ?

John

I am typing this from my room at CBR. I havnt had any issues with the room wifi, but it in the parks its useless. We are using a almost new Galaxy 4 and we just give up. It works for us anyplace but in the parks.....go figure.

JimboJones123

It has been dropping like crazy, sometimes several times a minute, since the beginning of the holiday season. Originally I thought it may just be the holiday crowds, but I have had the same issues when the parks were ghost towns the past two weeks too.

FigmentsFangirl

Original Poster
It has been dropping like crazy, sometimes several times a minute, since the beginning of the holiday season. Originally I thought it may just be the holiday crowds, but I have had the same issues when the parks were ghost towns the past two weeks too.
Yep, one second its a good consistent speed, next second, that speed disappears. Its also seeming to jump channels on me too {1 to 11, when it SHOULD be locked on channel 1 or 6}

wardpr68

I'd be interested in hearing others opinions about wifi in the parks.... being Canadian I am not going to be having my cell phone data on since it costs an arm and a leg to have on down in the states. I was hoping I could rely on the wifi for things like checking wait times and using email/iMessage.

Disboy21

There was a post awhile back that WDW was switching from Verizon to AT&T and since this is refurb season it would make sense to say that they are probably upgrading the systems at this time. No confirmation on this but would make the most sense. I would imagine that they would be changing out their systems on a resort by resort basis and park by park.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My Galaxy S4 has been dropping all week. In the resort it switches between "in room guest" and "public space" constantly. I have gotten the "unexpected error" many times with MDE as well. Also, Arent you supposed to get alerts from MDE when your FP+ selection ride goes down? We have had a few rides go down before we arrive and never got an alert.

hpyhnt 1000

My Galaxy S4 has been dropping all week. In the resort it switches between "in room guest" and "public space" constantly. I have gotten the "unexpected error" many times with MDE as well. Also, Arent you supposed to get alerts from MDE when your FP+ selection ride goes down? We have had a few rides go down before we arrive and never got an alert.

Yes, though I believe it somewhat depends on the nature of the ride closure. If it looks to be something minor (less than a 30 min closure for instance) then you may not get a notification. If its something bigger that forces a ride to be down for 1+ hour(s) during your FP+ return window, then you should definitely get a notification, probably with an option to select a different FP+ attraction. But the notification all depends on a determination being made by someone in a back room on a case to case basis.

Of course, this whole system is prefaced on there being reliable, stable wi-fi connectivity across the resort. And this thread shows us how well thats been going.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes, though I believe it somewhat depends on the nature of the ride closure. If it looks to be something minor (less than a 30 min closure for instance) then you may not get a notification. If its something bigger that forces a ride to be down for 1+ hour(s), then you should definitely get a notification, probably with an option to select a different FP+ attraction.

Of course, this whole system is preface on there being reliable, stable wi-fi connectivity across the resort. And this thread shows us how well thats been going.
Yesterday we had EE booked for around 1pm. We arrived to find it was down and had been down for appx 2 hours. Didnt receive any notifications. We headed over to Dinosaur and they were letting people in even though the ride was down also. Took about 25 minutes to get it back up. (Dinosaur)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There was a post awhile back that WDW was switching from Verizon to AT&T and since this is refurb season it would make sense to say that they are probably upgrading the systems at this time. No confirmation on this but would make the most sense. I would imagine that they would be changing out their systems on a resort by resort basis and park by park.
I don't believe ATT or Verizon are involved in the WiFi service.

discos

I am typing this from my room at CBR. I havnt had any issues with the room wifi, but it in the parks its useless. We are using a almost new Galaxy 4 and we just give up. It works for us anyplace but in the parks.....go figure.
Last year we had trouble with the wifi connectivity at the CBR, the parks were fine, although some spots at magic kingdom took forever to load anything.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I think it must come down to where your room is in respect to the router. I have stayed at Pop and Beach Club since the free wifi went up. At BC my experience was similar to yours, maybe not that bad, but still irritating. At Pop I was staying in a room in the 70s which was near the center of the "T" shape (IE where the stairs and ice are) and wifi was great. Even watched a fair amount of Netfilx on my tablet.

Not saying they shouldn't fix it, but this seems to be the reality.

SJFPKT

That would be the equipment - wonder what vendor has the data lines for WDW?

It used to be "Smart City" but I don't know if anyone took it over when it went free. I would imagine they just ran fiber and had whoever was handling next gen build it in with that. Could be wrong, but that would have been the cheaper thing to do.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It used to be "Smart City" but I don't know if anyone took it over when it went free. I would imagine they just ran fiber and had whoever was handling next gen build it in with that. Could be wrong, but that would have been the cheaper thing to do.
It is still SmartCity.

officialtom

Disney Guest wifi was down all day today at the parks. Room and resort wifi seemed to be okay. MDE pushed out a notification about it saying they were working on it. Came back on before we got back to AK around 6:30 after a pool break. A CM at Tiffins told us a server was down, everyone was having trouble, and Verizon was also experiencing issues.

Hope it stays on. We rely on wifi here... Canadian cell phones = no US data!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom