Why You Never See Mosquitoes at Disney World

StarWarsGirl

What? But we need to rebuild the population! How dare they.
dc98f4e95d788033ce3537fb327e1001e9ad8e63_hq.gif

MissViv

Saw them on our last visit while on the train when stopped at toon town. They were pretty bad. There is standing water to the left. I was swatting my legs the whole time we were stopped.

When staying at the resorts, I have never seen a mosquito.

Hank Hill

They also breed, or at least make habitats for dragonfly's to breed. Or at least used to. A few years ago there were a lot of dragonfly's around the area. They really eat a lot of mosquitoes. I don't see as many the last few years though.

Walt Disney1955

Is there not some sort of "dog whistle" noise that repels them as well that people can't hear? Just something I have heard, it might not be right.

I would suspect that at night time when the park is closed there would be a lot of dousing of the parks of bug spray.

John park hopper

Don't they spray by plane when they get bad? Here in Beaufort county we have an old cargo plane that they use to spray along with a fleet of spray trucks. At night they send out the trucks to fog the ponds and whole neighborhoods. The planes fly in the early AM. They don't do it unless the the bugs have gotten really heavy. The pesticide also kills bees and we have a lot of agriculture. They send out warning for bee keepers to keep their bees in the hives for when they spray.

You probably get the salt marsh misquotes like us and they can't spray for those. Giant flying needles. When those get bad, life is not good at night.
Yea we have the salt marsh mosquitoes and we get fresh water ones also. They haven't been bad this year with the draught

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have a couple of bridges that are home to I don't know how many bats. One night around dusk I got to watch them take of to go hunting. It was crazy how many there were, all heading out at once. What surprised me is these bridges are over salt water and the wind is usually blowing around these bridges. I guess once they're hidden away for the day the wind doesn't effect them?
I am not sure what species is where you are, but there are a number of bat species that flat out drink seawater and a number of others that dip various body parts in it and then lick off the minerals after it dries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom