Why you love WL (and why I should stay there)!

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I'm seriously toying with booking WL for my "girls" trip (myself and my scooter-driving mom) for our annual trip. I've never stayed there and honestly, for the dates I'm looking at, the price is crazy low. But my mom has always wanted to stay at the poly--I'm just not keen on the pools (I know, someone slap me--they just look really busy). I'm also debating about CR or GF. We've stayed at the CR, before the makeover of the tower rooms and loved the ease of walking to MK. But the GF's new rooms look beautiful. Would love to be able to be able to walk to MK as well (they reopened the walking path, right).

So tell me why I should book WL. My primary worry is that if we take the boats, it'll be a wait until we can get one she can get her scooter on.

Weather_Lady

I've stayed at all of them (except CL), and you can't go wrong no matter what you choose. In my view, they all have comparable pluses and minuses. If you want a luxe feel in a shiny new room, go with GF. (Yes, there's a walking path, but it's not short: the monorail is more of a draw.) If you want an awe-inspiring lobby and small footprint, go with WL. If you love the 60s tiki vibe and food with Polynesian inspirations (and don't mind the nearby DVC construction), stay at the Polynesian.

In fact, if the Polynesian is what your Mom most wants to do, life being as short as it is and Moms being as precious as they are -- I'd probably go with the Polynesian. (We did not find the pools, FWIW, to be super busy when we stayed there, but it was in an off-season time of year, so YMMV.)

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I'd also suggest Poly if that's a dream of your mother. The pools can get busy but there are two and the second pool is less crowded and has its own bar. You'd be missing the volcano slide, splash pad, pool games and music, and MK view. You may not need most of that, and the MK view can be enjoyed from other spots like the beach.

I'll also add that I'm unsure if all WL boats accommodate scooters. Sometimes the resorts have a smaller boat running that might mean waiting for the next boat. Imo, not a deal breaker but something Yo be aware of.

WL is a gorgeous resort and super relaxing, although imo the main pool is boring and the second pool by Boulder Ridgevis better. Geyser Point is great and has both table service and mobile order quick service. I like the antics at Whispering Canyon. There are boats Ina triangle from WL to/from Contemporary and Fort Wilderness, and we particularly like visiting FW. Rooms are going to be cheaper than other Monorail resorts mentioned.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
People seem to forget that WL has bus transportation to MK in addition to the boat. The bus is often faster and runs in all weather conditions. 😉
Yes, that's me! I've used the bus in the last two years and totally forgot about it. I really didn't like it so I must tried pushing it out of my memory. 😁

heapster411

To the DW and I, you are @ WDW but not @ WDW, if that makes any sense. You can really decompress @ WL, It has a calming effect on the grounds. Transportation really doesn't matter to us because the DW doesn't fly. We drive from NOLA to WDW and that gives us the flexibility to go whenever and wherever. The boat @ WL does take us to MK or FW, but for every place else, we drive. Funny thing, it doesn't take that long to drive there, But FOREVER to get home!

The Poly when you first walk in is so beautiful and it makes me want to go explore. It is a nice tropical Paradice. Now when I walk into the WL, I just get a feeling of relaxation, just slow down and enjoy the lodge and get a drink and sit and just relax. Both are good and hard to tell a person stay at this one or that one. It is an individual thing and you need to decide what theme you are looking for. Both are great places to stay.

Now monorail from Poly to MK and of course bus. WL is Bus or my favorite the Boat. Part of being on my vacation is doing things I don't really get a chance to do. I love both of these resorts; it just depends on what kind of mood I am in when I book a resort. A resort I have not stayed at but did visit is AKL. This looks like a place where I would love to stay next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom