Why would anyone stay onsite at a WDW Resort anymore?

Would you consider staying offsite during a future trip to WDW?

• Yes, it would be my first time after many onsite stays

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Maybe, but there is still a lot to love about staying "in the bubble"

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • Yes, but I already always/mostly stay offsite

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Yes, and it will be my first trip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I love WDW resorts and staying in the "bubble" is still worth it

Votes: 59 44.7%
  • No, it will be my first trip and I want to experience WDW to the fullest

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainAmerica

On-site resorts that I consider "worth it":
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge standard view
  • Art of Animation
  • Caribbean Beach
  • Contemporary garden wing
  • Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower
  • Fort Wilderness cabins
  • Fort Wilderness campground
  • Old Key West
  • Port Orleans French Quarter
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Saratoga Springs
  • Wilderness Lodge
On-site resorts that I don't consider "worth it":
  • All-Star Movies
  • All-Star Music
  • All-Star Sports
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view
  • Beach Club
  • Boardwalk
  • Contemporary tower
  • Coronado Springs standard rooms
  • Grand Floridian
  • Polynesian
  • Pop Century
  • Riviera
  • Yacht Club

SteveAZee

• Art of Animation
  • Caribbean Beach
  • Fort Wilderness cabins
  • Old Key West
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Saratoga Springs
  • Wilderness Lodge
  • All-Star Movies
  • All-Star Music
  • All-Star Sports
  • Beach Club
  • Boardwalk
  • Contemporary tower
  • Grand Floridian
  • Polynesian
  • Pop Century
  • Riviera
  • Yacht Club
Worth it in terms of price paid, or worth it to stay there for a WDW vacation in general?

Ayn

I love the bubble but my body is getting older and craves a good mattress and a decent chair to relax in which is hard to find at a Disney resort. We have had some great deals in the past so I'm not excluding staying in a DVC property but more often than not you will find us offsite in a nice large condo with full amenities/ an Uber ride away and money in my pocket for the next trip!

Lilofan

I love the bubble but my body is getting older and craves a good mattress and a decent chair to relax in which is hard to find at a Disney resort. We have had some great deals in the past so I'm not excluding staying in a DVC property but more often than not you will find us offsite in a nice large condo with full amenities/ an Uber ride away and money in my pocket for the next trip!
10 mg Melatonin 30 min before you sleep. Your body will melt into the mattress.

NickWilde

If you asked me this question about a year ago it'd be a resounding "yes," but now that a lot of the benefits of staying on-site are being phased out and the costs are being jacked up yet again, now you have me wavering. On-site hotels have a certain charm to them that is unmatched, thanks in large part due to their elaborate theming. The resorts also have, at least in my opinion, some of the best dining venues on property, which if I'm on a Disney World vacation is where I'm going to want to spend most of my time. And then there's of course that magical feeling of the Disney bubble. However, the loss of EMH and especially DME, make it so that the lavishly high prices you're paying for a deluxe or even a moderate aren't quite worth it anymore, not to mention the implementation of IP at the Contemporary and Polynesian sorta saps that charm I talked about earlier. So overall it's a toss-up for me: Stay off property and save tons or get that charm of a Disney resort. Of course, this doesn't matter until I actually start going again: I've decided to cancel my trips for the foreseeable future in order to boycott the moneygrubber who is Bob Chapek, and will only return once he either walks back the disastrous changes he's made or steps down as CEO.

JohnD

I checked "Maybe" as I stayed off-site 9/30 - 10/6. So glad I did. Free breakfast and free parking. As an AP holder, I get free parking at the parks, although I made up for it with paying for Preferred. At the price range I can afford, EMH removed and only 30 minutes in the morning isn't enough for me. I'm less upset about not having 3 FPs in advance but do understand it's a perk you no longer have. I would probably still stay on-site if I found a good rate just for the ability to make ADRs for the length of my trip starting 60 days out. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with staying off-site again, especially at Marriott Springhill Suites as a Marriot Bonvoy member.

dmw

In the Parks
No
  • Art of Animation
  • Caribbean Beach
  • Fort Wilderness cabins
  • Old Key West
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Saratoga Springs
  • Wilderness Lodge
  • All-Star Movies
  • All-Star Music
  • All-Star Sports
  • Beach Club
  • Boardwalk
  • Contemporary tower
  • Grand Floridian
  • Polynesian
  • Pop Century
  • Riviera
  • Yacht Club
just curious... why is AoA worth it, but not Pop? They have the same amenities and rooms, with the suites at AoA the exception, of course. We love Pop, but have not yet stayed at AoA. It has not had the discounts like Pop has had in the past, at least not on the dates we have visited. But, am interested in your perspective as I would like to try AoA in the future.

CaptainAmerica

just curious... why is AoA worth it, but not Pop? They have the same amenities and rooms, with the suites at AoA the exception, of course. We love Pop, but have not yet stayed at AoA. It has not had the discounts like Pop has had in the past, at least not on the dates we have visited. But, am interested in your perspective as I would like to try AoA in the future.
I'm just very turned off by the theming at Pop. The giant yo-yo, Rubik's cube, Play-doh, etc. feel cheap and tacky in a way that the DAAR statues don't.

UNCgolf

I'm just very turned off by the theming at Pop. The giant yo-yo, Rubik's cube, Play-doh, etc. feel cheap and tacky in a way that the DAAR statues don't.

I think Pop could have been a really cool resort if they'd themed the rooms, common areas, etc. for each decade using architectural styles and other touches from that decade. Not a direct recreation of hotel rooms from that decade or anything like that, but something along the lines of Universal's Cabana Bay.

CaptainAmerica

I think Pop could have been a really cool resort if they'd themed the rooms, common areas, etc. for each decade using architectural styles and other touches from that decade. Not a direct recreation of hotel rooms from that decade or anything like that, but something along the lines of Universal's Cabana Bay.
I agree in theory but I'm not sure they could have done it at that price point even if they really committed to the idea.

Lilofan

I think others may not consider this but consider the swimming pools, next to Art resort, the big food court at Pop and next to the Disney Skyliner.

UNCgolf

I agree in theory but I'm not sure they could have done it at that price point even if they really committed to the idea.

Yeah, I almost mentioned that. It probably would have pushed it to a moderate at least. Cabana Bay is basically a value for Universal, but the whole resort is themed to one decade (more or less).

It's also a really cool hotel.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Ah, so the "worth it" is because of the theming, not the price point. Makes sense. It's a personal preference which I can understand. I appreciate your reply!

Having grown up through many of the decades, I really like the theming. Brings back memories. I especially like running around hourglass lake and seeing the major events of the decades on the signs as I run.

Yes, I try to get in at least a couple of runs when on vacation. I actually have some resort preferences based on the running options. POFQ is my favorite, as I love the run along the river to POR, around the loop and back.

Cosmic Commando

We're going to do a split stay-- CBR and Bonnet Creek-- for the first time in January. We've been easing into it for about 15 years now, so I think it's time. 😂 FP+ and EMH were both big drivers to getting my family to stay on property. We liked the value resorts (Pop usually) and then started camping at the Fort, so the cost difference was as minimal as possible. The transition went like this:

- Four trips to DL between '07 and '13 where we stayed with my BIL ~45 minutes away from the parks, so we learned you could have a "Disney" vacation even staying far away
- My cousin came with us on one WDW trip in '11. They drove, and we were still flying at the time. This was my first time being off-property in FL, just running to Walmart to get supplies and stuff.
- We drove down for the first time in 2015, and got a taste for driving to the parks. We'd usually drive to every park but MK after this. We did actually stay one night at a cheapo motel on 192 to extend our stay by a day.
- We camped at the Fort for the first time in 2017, and we relied mostly on cooking in our "room" instead of Disney food.

Bonnet Creek seemed like a good non-Disney option. It's essentially on-property still, I already know what the traffic in the area is like, they're all reputable brands there, short commute, etc. We'll use our CBR time to take advantage of things like the bus to MK and the meager morning EMH, but I don't think we'll be missing out on much when we're off-site.

barrymoss

This is in response to questions on the "offsite hotels, dining shopping" Forum about why people would ever stay offsite.
With the recent changes (and some longer term changes) to "guest experience" at WDW Resorts I am having trouble understanding who still wants to stay onsite. Here are my top 10 reasons against staying onsite at WDW:
I'm planning my first WDW trip in 3 years. In 2019 I got married in the Philippines, so my wife and I took our honeymoon in Japan and I used my DVC points at Disneyland Tokyo. Then with COVID in 2020 and 2021 there was no travel. The US boarder is finally opening to Canadian residents in a couple of weeks and we have applied for a visitors visa for my wife.

But for a little perspective, I bought into DVC in 2000 and would go once or twice a year with a good buddy up until 2018.
#1 Cost: still probably the highest factor. Especially for larger families. You can stay at an offsite condo with a private movie theater and pool for less than half of a DVC room/rental. Regular hotels are less than 1/3 what Disney charges. Staying offsite gives us thousands more dollars to spend at parks/experiences or just keep the money.
I have DVC, so the cost really isn't a big factor.
#2 No Magical Express- the "Disney Bubble" no longer starts at the airport.
I made great use of Magical Express while it was available. But I bought into DVC long before ME was around. We either rented a car or hired a towncar. While I'm disappointed ME is going away, it's not a deal-breaker by any means.
#3 Severely reduced Extra Magic Hours, or whatever they call them now. Really, what will you get done in 1/2 hour early entrance unless you can sprint from attraction to attraction. Offsite guests will still be able to make early morning dining reservations and get into parks early to strategically position themselves for rides
Honestly, I never managed to get up in time for early morning EMH. We did take advantage of evening EMHs when it fit our plans. I suspect that this is something that will change again over the next year.
#4 Genie+ vs. Fastpass plus- resort and non-resort guests can now book at the exact time (vs. Fastpass plus 60 vs 30 days) (*there is an advantage for onsite guests for individual LL of 7am vs park opening)
When I bought DVC, there was only the original paper-ticket Fastpass system. So while I don't want to pay more for Genie+, I'm stuck with regardless of where I stay.
#5 Waiting for resort buses- getting to and from offsite resorts is really only a disadvantage at the MK when you have to take a tram + monorail/boat. Even then, you get through security at the TTA and can walk right into the park when you arrive.
I have stayed off-site a couple of times and driven to the parks. Frankly, I always found Disney buses from the on-site resorts to be as fast or faster than driving myself, taking the tram (and trying to remember where the ^&%#@ I parked). And I don't need to worry about navigating around the roadways outside WDW late at night when I'm exhausted from a long day in the parks.
#6 No more free Magic Bands
We had paper tickets and plastic room guys when I started with DVC. While I liked the Magic Bands, losing them isn't sending me running for the hills. Plus I can still use my existing bands from previous trips.
#7 Resort food: if you stay "in the bubble" and must rely on your resort or Disney buses, you are missing out on great food all over the Orlando/Kissimmee area and must eat at the glorified cafeterias of the resorts or pay exorbitant prices at sit-down restaurants
I actually like eating at many of Disney's table service restaurants. And there are generally better restaurants at the Disney hotels than general hotel restaurants I tried the handful of times I stayed off-site. There are some other restaurants off-site that I like, and I'll take advantage of them if I rent a car to run to Universal for a day or go visit friends in the area.
#8 No free parking: Even if you rent a car to get to a resort from the airport, now you have to pay for it- while some offsite places do this as well, it is no longer a bonus for staying at a WDW resort
I'll probably go back to using a towncar service and just rent a car for the one or two days I want to go offsite, so not a big issue.
#9 "Disney Bubble" - the cost of this experience continues to grow- we loved the "bubble" and did it exclusively for 15 years. But staying at a nearby resort (non-WDW) is still pretty fun if it is themed at all. Our youngest kids didn't really even notice the difference- you are still in the Kissimmee area with all the Disney/Uni Billboards and resorts galore.
Well I guess some hotels must have up their game. I stayed at several hotels along Hotel Boulevard over the years as well as a couple further away and none of them came close to matching the Disney hotels I usually stay at. Who has theming even close to what Disney offers other than the Universal Hotels?
#10 WDW decline- Looking at the overall decline of WDW guest experience (see the numerous posts on wdwmagic). People post on this site and others that they want to do something about the state of WDW and the guest experience- they still love Disney and hope it will change and aren't ready to abandon WDW all together. Wouldn't one way to vote with your dollars be to stay offsite?
If you prefer to stay off property, that's fine. I just know that from my experience over the last two decades, I would rather stay on-site. Of course, with DVC, most of my Disney stays are already pre-paid, but I would still make the same decision with a cash stay. Now, I do sometimes have a cash stay at either the Swan or Dolphin, which aren't Disney-owned but still have the advantage of being on-site, so I guess that is a compromise position. :)

I have only ever experience staying on site so I don't know anything else. My parents are Vacation Club Members so staying off site isn't going to happen for me. We pretty much stay at Old Key West with a few times we have stay other places like the Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I love being in the middle of it all and just popping out of my resort to the bus and off I go to wherever in the magic I want to go.

hsisthebest

Original Poster
#1 Cost: still probably the highest factor. Especially for larger families. You can stay at an offsite condo with a private movie theater and pool for less than half of a DVC room/rental. Regular hotels are less than 1/3 what Disney charges. Staying offsite gives us thousands more dollars to spend at parks/experiences or just keep the money.

Staying offsite and funneling the savings into the parks anyway doesn't hurt Disney nor does it send a message.

#2 No Magical Express- the "Disney Bubble" no longer starts at the airport.

There will still be Mears buses. At $15 a head it's a downgrade, but not a make or break factor for me at least.

#3 Severely reduced Extra Magic Hours, or whatever they call them now. Really, what will you get done in 1/2 hour early entrance unless you can sprint from attraction to attraction. Offsite guests will still be able to make early morning dining reservations and get into parks early to strategically position themselves for rides

In the past because EMH was generally one park per day, so the majority of resort guests shifted to one park in particular. For that reason, it was often a strategy to avoid EMH. By having early entry at each park every day, I will personally be more inclined to use it.

By all accounts, the evening hours are a better perk now that they are exclusive to deluxe resorts. A plus for some, a minus for others.

#4 Genie+ vs. Fastpass plus- resort and non-resort guests can now book at the exact time (vs. Fastpass plus 60 vs 30 days) (*there is an advantage for onsite guests for individual LL of 7am vs park opening)

The same as it used to be. Some people will appreciate less advance planning, some won't.

A bit of a downgrade for resort guests overall. The 60 days plus length of stay meant I could get a FP to something like Flight of Passage but day guests often couldn't. Note, however, that those harder-to-get FP choices are now behind the ILL paywall. Obviously many people loathe the paid ILL but regardless, it means that the advance booking wouldn't be as advantageous as it once was.

#5 Waiting for resort buses- getting to and from offsite resorts is really only a disadvantage at the MK when you have to take a tram + monorail/boat. Even then, you get through security at the TTA and can walk right into the park when you arrive.

Still a major onsite advantage. Many offsite shuttles run on a restrictive schedule. Every hour for example. Want to go to the MK? No need to check a schedule. Buses run every 20 minutes or so. Go where you want when you want without needing to plan.

Rental cars are an alternative but incur additional fees, and many people enjoy not having to deal with any sort of commute while on vacation.

#6 No more free Magic Bands

They were optional anyway. A downgrade, but I was never really attached to my generic blue band.

#7 Resort food: if you stay "in the bubble" and must rely on your resort or Disney buses, you are missing out on great food all over the Orlando/Kissimmee area and must eat at the glorified cafeterias of the resorts or pay exorbitant prices at sit-down restaurants

At WDW, time is money as the saying goes. I don't want to spend a lot of time outside the bubble. I visit Orlando for theme parks, not great food. For me, a food focused trip would be a different type of vacation, and not in Orlando (that's not a dig at Orlando food. I don't know what it's like. I just don't care. Not why I go there).

#8 No free parking: Even if you rent a car to get to a resort from the airport, now you have to pay for it- while some offsite places do this as well, it is no longer a bonus for staying at a WDW resort

No argument here.

#9 "Disney Bubble" - the cost of this experience continues to grow- we loved the "bubble" and did it exclusively for 15 years. But staying at a nearby resort (non-WDW) is still pretty fun if it is themed at all. Our youngest kids didn't really even notice the difference- you are still in the Kissimmee area with all the Disney/Uni Billboards and resorts galore.

Some people do notice a difference. This is a matter of personal preference, but it's kind of odd that you would do something for 15 years and then suddenly wonder why others do the same. Some people think Disney gives less value than it did in the past. Some people don't. I lean toward split stays with Universal now, because I get better value there in some ways, but I'm a long ways away from shifting away from Disney completely.

#10 WDW decline- Looking at the overall decline of WDW guest experience (see the numerous posts on wdwmagic). People post on this site and others that they want to do something about the state of WDW and the guest experience- they still love Disney and hope it will change and aren't ready to abandon WDW all together. Wouldn't one way to vote with your dollars be to stay offsite?

It's certainly one way to send a message, but a better way to vote with your wallet would be not to go at all. A few people staying offsite means nothing if everyone willingly pays for Genie+ and After Hours and holiday parties and other upcharges. They'll get that revenue, and then some, in other ways.
I like your point by point response. I only raise some objection to your first counterpoint- I'm not specifically staying offsite to "send a message" or stick it to Disney. I'm simply trying to get the most vacation for my $$. Staying offsite allows me more extras/options with the money saved. Ironically, as I am much wealthier now than when I started to go to Disney regularly back in the late 1990's, I also am much more aware of what I am spending my hard earned money on- again, not knocking on anyone that stays onsite I just like it when a resort/comapany acts like they have to earn my money a little bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom