Why Universal?

HMButler79

OP=Disney Social Media Mafia troll typing this from Celebration Place. There have been NUMEROUS threads like this on this board that claims Universal is equvilant to going to Mordor and WDW is some theme park Holy See. IGNORE.

El-Fuego

I'm not sure what the comparison is to 6 flags having never been there but from what I can tell from previous comments on 6 flags there is little in the way of theming. Correct me if I'm wrong. Universal and Islands of Adventure are well themed and there's tons of fun to be had. Maybe the question is, what do you want in a park?

gboiler1

I'll chime in on this one since I made my first visit to UO last week. I've been to Disney many times and also a few to UH.

For me and my daughter it was a new experience we wanted after doing the Disney Parks inside & out it seemed. I love Disney and want to go back and experience their new additions too, but I was also curious. Would everyone be as nice? Would I enjoy the experience?

As far as Universal, we both loved it. We rode multiple times on our favorites and covered basically all we wanted in 2 days. I was interested to see if it had the same feeling as Disney, and thought it was similar, although not the magic of Magic Kingdom. I still think Disney parks are a notch above overall with presentation and of course time and money, but Universal does knock it out of the park on some of their attractions.

It's not fair to compare the two parks, both are essentially the same basic types and each has unique experiences, but we loved Harry Potter, Spiderman & MIB most. I do wish they had a backstage tour like UH does, but it's not the working lot like in Hollywood. For us, we just want to be entertained and enjoy time together having fun. I do think Universal goes after a slightly different demographic, which seperates it a bit from the Disney crowd, but still fun and time well spent. I just wish they had a hotel that was more affordable like the All Stars, but that's a different topic.

I know CityWalk is technically not in the park, but we also enjoyed the new Hollywood Drive In Golf.

Really unless it's bad luck, I don't know how one wouldn't enjoy Universal, it's a fun time and we'll go back when things like the new Potterland, Despicable Me, nighttime show, etc. are ready to go.

captainkidd

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about. Universal is far from a Six Flags experience. Even the best Six Flags park - lets say Magic Mountain - isn't Universal. Even Cedar Point, which I love, isn't quite the same.

Universal blows you away. The only problem I have is that while Islands of Adventure continues to do a great job they seem to be taking the soul out of Universal Studios. Jaws is gone for good which sucks because that was one of their flagship rides. They have bad judgement when it comes to utilizing space. All that room and they throw an obtrusive rollercoaster in there and get rid of King Kong. Doesn't make any sense.

So there is certainly a disadvantage to Universal that way. Attractions don't stay long enough to develop an aura or some traditions. What's left? E.T? That's comparable to Small World in Disney and to be honest I wonder how much longer E.T. has left there, which is sad.

That's what seperates Disney from Universal for sure. Disney finds a way to combine new rides but keep the core of their park intact. There is something special about being able to ride something that everyone did in 1971. You don't get that with Universal. But in my mind, both Universal parks are top notch with all that in mind.

This.

I love Universal and applaud them for spending money and pushing the envelope, but they don't utilize space very well, at least in the original park.

But let's face it - Disney doesn't either to an extent. Look at all the classics they've done away with:

Horizons, World of Motion, Living Seas, Backlot Tour, Snow White, Skyway, Mr. Toad.

stitch2008

Universal blows you away. The only problem I have is that while Islands of Adventure continues to do a great job they seem to be taking the soul out of Universal Studios. Jaws is gone for good which sucks because that was one of their flagship rides. They have bad judgement when it comes to utilizing space. All that room and they throw an obtrusive rollercoaster in there and get rid of King Kong. Doesn't make any sense.

So there is certainly a disadvantage to Universal that way. Attractions don't stay long enough to develop an aura or some traditions. What's left? E.T? That's comparable to Small World in Disney and to be honest I wonder how much longer E.T. has left there, which is sad.

That's what seperates Disney from Universal for sure. Disney finds a way to combine new rides but keep the core of their park intact. There is something special about being able to ride something that everyone did in 1971. You don't get that with Universal. But in my mind, both Universal parks are top notch with all that in mind.

This. I loved IoA when it first opened. But now I really see it's making the Studio park change to fit in.

Moving Forward

That's funny because I see WDW as the biggest tourist trap in the country. :lol: Though I enjoyed my Disney trip it can't remotely compare to a trip to Six Flags. Heck Disney can't even compare to family-run Silverwood in Idaho. I go to theme parks to have fun and be entertained for a good value, but I am not a detail-oriented person. Perhaps you are more into details than I am.

I don't have an opinion on Universal since I've never been there, but if Harry Potter is any indication than Universal trumps Disney as well. As a PP said it seems that Disney just cares about being "good enough". Is the yeti still not fixed on EE? Last year Disney raised ticket prices and then raised them again for the second time in a year. Gimme a break. The second ticket hike directly impacted our decision to cancel our trip last summer and buy a truck instead. I have no regrets, and this is coming from a person who has wanted to go to WDW for over twenty-five years. If Disney wants my travel dollars then they will have to earn them. In a few years we might go to Uni and skip Disney completely the way that Disney is going :rolleyes:

NowInc

That's funny because I see WDW as the biggest tourist trap in the country. :lol: Though I enjoyed my Disney trip it can't remotely compare to a trip to Six Flags. Heck Disney can't even compare to family-run Silverwood in Idaho. I go to theme parks to have fun and be entertained for a good value, but I am not a detail-oriented person. Perhaps you are more into details than I am.

I don't have an opinion on Universal since I've never been there, but if Harry Potter is any indication than Universal trumps Disney as well. As a PP said it seems that Disney just cares about being "good enough". Is the yeti still not fixed on EE? Last year Disney raised ticket prices and then raised them again for the second time in a year. Gimme a break. The second ticket hike directly impacted our decision to cancel our trip last summer and buy a truck instead. I have no regrets, and this is coming from a person who has wanted to go to WDW for over twenty-five years. If Disney wants my travel dollars then they will have to earn them. In a few years we might go to Uni and skip Disney completely the way that Disney is going :rolleyes:

...and universal hasn't raised their prices? Not trying to start a scuffle here but can't point out one and not the other.

^Universal has, yes. While I don't necessarily like the price increases, I think they are making good use of the profits. I mean, they upgraded and attraction more than they really needed to, and they're getting ready for Potter Phase 2. Ever since the price increases, I have been seeing improved guest service and a whole bunch of other improvements around the parks.

I see Disney using their money on the Fantasyland expansion, which is great because the area looks fantastic. They're also doing the BTM and TT refurb. But as far as show quality goes on the currently operating rides like Dinosaur and Everest, it's crap. Just complete crap and says that Disney doesn't care.

Moving Forward

...and universal hasn't raised their prices? Not trying to start a scuffle here but can't point out one and not the other.

I don't pay attention to Uni prices as I've been brainwashed by Disney's talented marketing department and really focus my attention on the Mouse.

Okay, just checked on Uni's ticket prices and attractions:

http://www.universalorlando.com/Ticket-Store/PurchaseTickets.aspx?ParkTickets
http://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/Islands-of-Adventure/Poseidons-Fury.aspx
http://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/Universal-Studios-Florida/Terminator-2-3-D.aspx

Geesh! Going over the rides and attractions at Uni the only attraction that I'm remotely interested in is Harry Potter. I've read all the books, seen every movie in theaters, and have all the DVDs/blu-rays. I'd find it hard to justify ticket prices for IoA, travelling costs, etc. just for a side trip. I stand corrected, Universal does not trump the Mousetrap. Disney has several attractions at their parks that DH and I would enjoy though we're still not willing to shell out major vacation dollars for WDW.

Moving Forward

Both resorts seem to be employing a "whatever the mark will bear" pricing strategy. Given the steady attendance at WDW and the jump in attendance at UO, it appears that this pricing strategy is (from a business perspective) justified. I suspect the price trends will continue until we consumers stop buying tickets.

Exactly, it's Basic Economics 101, which is why DH and I cancelled our Disney trip last summer. It was Disney's right to raise ticket prices just as it was our right as consumers to cancel our trip as a response. If more people would vote with their pocketbooks then both Uni and Disney would be forced to lower their prices.

ann0d

This.

This is the reason why Universal wins for me. I used to love Disney. Universal in the past 15 years has created so many mind blowing experiences. Spider-man, Mummy, Men in Black, Terminator (when it was new), Simpsons, not to mention the entire Potter thing. They've spent the money and pushed the technology on their attractions. Not only this, but they show they care about show quality through their awesome maintenance team and the Spider-man revamp. They take all these elements that are out there and put them together into one amazing experience with one goal in mind: To blow you away.

There are only two rides that have EVER completely stunned me as I was exiting: Forbidden Journey and Spider-man.

Within the same amount of time, I've seen Disney slowly slipping away into a "good enough" mood. And the bar that can be called "good enough" seems to be getting lower and lower. I fear that most people are blind sighted to this because, well, "it's Disney!"

When I went on Countdown to Extinction, I was terrified. It was an awesome experience that overwhelmed my hearing senses. When I went on it as Dinosaur, I thought it was still pretty neat, but not near as good as the original. I remembered a more aggressive profile. When I got off of it in December, I thought "?!" Half of the original effects weren't working, and the door to the time travel chamber wasn't working, so you could clearly hear the next scene. That ride was in horrible condition, and should not have been running. Then I found out it had been like that for months? What's the excuse?

As for Everest, why should I bother when the whole point of the attraction hasn't worked in years?

Don't even get me started on the Imagination Pavilion.

Midway Mania I think is a fine example of half-assing a ride. It feels like I'm just moving from TV to TV in a big warehouse to play a different game. I think it would have been really awesome if we could have had physical targets to shoot at in addition to the video screens. I will also NEVER understand why they have FASTPASS for this ride. It already has a low capacity and a slow moving line. Why add another line and split that capacity in half?

I do like Tower of Terror, however. It's the perfect combination of projections, physical sets, and thrill ride. You can't get that experience anywhere else. And the attraction is still in excellent condition.

And that huge blue hat? Yeah, that's a sin!

So after all these years, why is the Studios still a half day park? Why is Animal Kingdom still a two hour park? Why does Disney seem to not care so much anymore? They're making the money! Put it to good use, and stop with the nextgen crap. How is that going to help me when I visit the parks by myself and not staying onsite?

Universal I think does these things so much better. The employees seem to actually be happy to be there. Their smiles look real, not cheesy "I work here so I have to smile." Their overall guest relations seem to be genuine, and I have never gotten an automated response from guest relations either.

So there it is. I like Disney, and I want them to be better and get back on track. But I think Universal is always going to be better because of the current direction they're going.

I have to agree with this person! :sohappy:

Don't get me wrong I love both WDW and Universal but to me it seems everything in Disney is just becoming a big screen. I also agree with the employees being happier at Uni, we've always had a great experiences with them. WDW not as much. TOT my favorite ride, Spiderman is a close 2nd. Can't wait to see the new version! Heard all good things about that!

I like the dining better in Disney. City Walk is nice but inside the park, terrible food.

Captain Chaos

Harry Potter really has changed the morale in Universal's theme parks... You can just sense the excitement and the up beat attitude among the Team Members working there... Sadly, I don't feel that with Disney anymore... Not saying Disney still isn't fun, it is... But they are only settling for good enough, as others have said, and you can really feel the boredom with Cast Members... Not only that, but you get a sense of, I don't know the right word for it... You get a sense of a work force with low morale in WDW... They may put on a smile, but it feels forced... Not with all CMs, mind you... but a good number of them... The magic is slipping, and in some cases, gone... I feel like the CMs are being phonies...

HMButler79

Harry Potter really has changed the morale in Universal's theme parks... You can just sense the excitement and the up beat attitude among the Team Members working there... Sadly, I don't feel that with Disney anymore... Not saying Disney still isn't fun, it is... But they are only settling for good enough, as others have said, and you can really feel the boredom with Cast Members... Not only that, but you get a sense of, I don't know the right word for it... You get a sense of a work force with low morale in WDW... They may put on a smile, but it feels forced... Not with all CMs, mind you... but a good number of them... The magic is slipping, and in some cases, gone... I feel like the CMs are being phonies...

^^THIS. 100% TRUE. Morale is abysmally low for WDW CMs. The fact that the managers act like Dolores Umbridge coupled with thier indifference, paranoia of getting laid off, and stalking CMs for Safety has led to a VERY unhealthy work enviorment. I know CMs who have gone to UO and cannot stop raving how UO is being run like WDW under the Nunis years. UOs orientation is even longer than WDWs. And let's not even get into Potter's orientation. Morale is WAY up at UP because management let's them......ENJOY THIER JOBS. Shocking.....

celluloid

And with Despicale Me, The parade, the night time show and the next big phase of the resort in the works in the former amity area....that energy is going to be constant. Kind of the same pride that Disney had in the 90s.

You said it well. I think another way to look at this...

This is the UNIVERSAL Decade.

Captain Chaos

^I think you nailed it. I couldn't agree anymore.

And with Despicale Me, The parade, the night time show and the next big phase of the resort in the works in the former amity area....that energy is going to be constant. Kind of the same pride that Disney had in the 90s.

You said it well. I think another way to look at this...

This is the UNIVERSAL Decade.

Thanks... it actually pains me to say that... If people look at my older posts, man, did I defend Disney (blindly)... I always felt Disney could do no wrong and Universal could do no right... I had major issues with Universal... But all that changed in 2009... And 2011 cemented my new opinion, the opinion I posted above...

Even my friend said the same thing... He had a better time in Universal.. he felt a different, more up beat and positive vibe in Universal than in Disney...

I'm looking into a Universal annual... I refused to renew my WDW annual... If I wasn't a DVC member, I'd be staying at Universal area hotels... And actually, I just may pay to stay at one for 2 nights, especially for the front of the line access... More so if my friends can get me some nice discounts... :)

I'll be honest again too. The level of service at the Universal hotels is incredible, and much better than anything I've experienced at the Disney hotels.

And again, the Team Members at the hotels seem to be genuinely happy, not forced. I feel like I'm talking to a real person, not a puppet, which is what I have felt at Disney unfortunately.

This, and the fact that you get front of the line access, and early entry makes it totally worth it. The best part is that everything is in walking distance. There is no need to take a bus or monorail (what I call Transportation Hell). It truly feels like you're away from the rest of the world (in most areas).

Captain Chaos

I'll be honest again too. The level of service at the Universal hotels is incredible, and much better than anything I've experienced at the Disney hotels.

And again, the Team Members at the hotels seem to be genuinely happy, not forced. I feel like I'm talking to a real person, not a puppet, which is what I have felt at Disney unfortunately.

This, and the fact that you get front of the line access, and early entry makes it totally worth it. The best part is that everything is in walking distance. There is no need to take a bus or monorail (what I call Transportation Hell). It truly feels like you're away from the rest of the world (in most areas).

I'm considering Hard Rock for 2 nights so I have 3 days of front of the line access, then I'd go over to my DVC in WDW for 4 days and that is is... So 3 in Uni, 4 in WDW... and heck, if I can get a deal for SeaWorld area hotel with SeaWorld tickets, Disney will lose another day from me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom