Why Only Vacation At WDW?

Phonedave

I think one of the other factors for us is airfare. Newark NJ to Orlando FL used to be "not-to-bad". I would never call it cheap, but it was reasonable. Other destinations were much more money (aside from Tampa and Vegas - those are low priced routes most of the time).

Lately, decently priced airfare that matches up with our vacation time is very hard to find. It's to the point that airfare to Orlando is in the same price range as airfare to many other places. With travel costs being equal, and with the increase in price for tickets and food, and with the decrease in quality, there is no incentive to go to WDW over somewhere else.

-dave

I am Timmy

I think one of the other factors for us is airfare. Newark NJ to Orlando FL used to be "not-to-bad". I would never call it cheap, but it was reasonable. Other destinations were much more money (aside from Tampa and Vegas - those are low priced routes most of the time).

Lately, decently priced airfare that matches up with our vacation time is very hard to find. It's to the point that airfare to Orlando is in the same price range as airfare to many other places. With travel costs being equal, and with the increase in price for tickets and food, and with the decrease in quality, there is no incentive to go to WDW over somewhere else.

-dave
Has airfare gone up a lot for you? This is crazy, but in the last 10 years at least, our airfare from Wa. state has been almost the same every year. No joke. We pay the same now as we did back then (family of four) anywhere from 2200 to 2400 every time. Some years we went two or three times, always the same. And this year. Bizarre.

zero creativity

We live in Virginia, so in the years we don't go to WDW we usually go see things in the state or nearby driving distance. Airfare does make other trips cost prohibitive. We drive to WDW and even with a hotel stay on the way there and back it is still way cheaper then flying. Can't see using so much of our vacation budget just to get there

zurgandfriend

We always alternated, WDW one vacation "somewhere else" the next as we wanted our DS to see and experience new places and things. Now he is in college and DW and I like to sneak down. We like the fact that we don't have to worry about meals, parking etc.

Phonedave

Has airfare gone up a lot for you? This is crazy, but in the last 10 years at least, our airfare from Wa. state has been almost the same every year. No joke. We pay the same now as we did back then (family of four) anywhere from 2200 to 2400 every time. Some years we went two or three times, always the same. And this year. Bizarre.

Yeah, it has. Dont get me wrong, there is cheap airfare from Northen New Jersey to "Disney World" out there, but as far as the specific route of Newark Airport to Orlando Airport, and especially on United, it has gone up quite a bit.

When I am on vacation, I like to take take it easy - fly out of Newark into Olando at a reasonable time. I don't want to have to drive 75 miles to an alternate arport or get up at 3 AM for a flight, or get into Orlando at midnight. I have done that, and its not for me.

I would say that the flights we take have gone up about $150 over the last 3 - 4 years. With 5 of us, thats not insignificant. We do avoid some of the additional nickle and diming (baggage fees) because I am a United Club member, so when we travel, we get 4 checked bags for free. That is one of the reasons we try to fly United instead of other carriers.

-dave

Something I've noticed in many threads here since I joined, is the general statement of "I don't feel like I'm getting full value at WDW anymore, used to come twice a year, going to spend my vacation $ elsewhere now." My question is-why were you limiting yourself to just WDW for your vacations in the first place? WDW is probably my favourite place to be-but it is definitely not the only place I want to spend time at during a vacation.Possibly part of the reason that your time at WDW isn't as "magical" as it used to be is that you have been visiting so much, it is losing it's appeal, and you are starting to notice the negatives so much more. If you live in North America, there are so many other great destinations and experiences to be had. My upcoming trip to WDW will be my third since 2014, and I will not be going again until at least 2019-going to be spending time in the Caribbean, and taking a road trip to New Orleans within that time. When I do get back to WDW, with the time spent away, and the new offerings that will be open then, it will still seem fresh and exciting for me.

I know what you mean and I love to visit new places. But the point is not guests avoiding WDW so it won't become boring. The point is making the place more appealing so no matter how often you go, you have a blast.

EvilQueen-T

We generally do two types of vacations. Time at the beach, (it's where my daughter lives) and disney. We live just a hair over 2 hours from disney...so no flying is a money saver and we can go tomorrow if we feel like it even for the day but it's far enough away when we want to stay we feel we've gotten away. I'm retired and my hubby can't always get away from our businesses and disney is a place I feel comfortable going with just my granddaughter. She's my only grandchild and always will be so I'm getting the most out of my time with her lol. I also have half siblings with kids my granddaughter's age (they were 4 and 51/2 when I had my oldest lol) and their kids are my granddaughters age so we often vacation there together. It's a perfect family reunion type of spot because everyone is happy there lol...those of you who've taken trips to places where there's not a lot to do just to see family can understand how much easier meeting up at disney is. That's why we do pretty much only disney.

POLY LOVER

Central Florida has tons to do, so it's a combo deal for me. Branch out and see the Florida coasts and Orlando night life. The space coast, see a spacex launch.
The Everglades, take in a spring training game,

jwakja

We only head to WDW because it has everything we want and need. Cleanliness, great restaurants, courteous staff, and Disney just does it up right. We have noticed that it has attracted a new crowd of guests that don't respect others or like to follow rules. I like to visit places where people treat others like they want to be treated. If you want to trash the place, walk and run over others, create issues, act like gangsters then vacation with your crowd elsewhere.

Nia

I don't want to go to WDW only or go all the time! We were there last October 2016. I visited Spanish island with friend this May. Family trip to California including LA, San Diego and Disneyland this July and we had two week beach vacation in August too. We are back to WDW 2018 and after that probably after 2021 but I have not thought that far yet. Or I won't confess I did

:)

I love WDW but we have other places of interest too

21stamps

Central Florida has tons to do, so it's a combo deal for me. Branch out and see the Florida coasts and Orlando night life. The space coast, see a spacex launch.
The Everglades, take in a spring training game,

Everglades Nation Park is an amazing place.. you might decide to drive down there sometime. It's a different side of the Everglades, and you'll see unique wildlife :)

Rubbish, there's a ton of fun stuff to do right in and around Orlando. You're obviously living the life wrong if you think there's nothing. Miami is nice but expensive and overcrowded, a beach is a beach, key west is also expensive. The fact is outside the Disney bubble, Orlando is a lovely place

I don't know about that. Compare Daytona Beach to South Beach..a beach is not just a beach in that comparison. ;)

There are a lot of great places in SoFla besides the City of Miami and SoBe. Ft Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, and if someone wants the more laid back feel- Hollywood Beach.

Then the Keys.. you don't have to drive all the way down to KW, the Upper Keys are beautiful and unique as well.

angela02

We get one vacation a year and WDW is the one place where everyone still has a great time. It is also nice that we can finance the trip for 6 months no interest.

rreading

Central Florida has more than WDW to enjoy.

True. As does the rest of the world.

When we have travelled to WDW as parents, it's been the Magical Express in and out. Eventually, we'll hit Universal when the kids are older. We've traveled to Tampa, swum with manatees and hit Busch Gardens on another trip. Rosemary Beach another trip.

But when we are on a Disney vacation, we still love the immersion of their bubble. Relaxing and letting the resort take care of you is a wonderful break that isn't the same anywhere else we go.

Last edited:

Nia

I think for us we like to visit the same places again, and this is not limited to Disney. We loved San Diego this summer for example and I know I will be back visiting! Sometimes life can get busy and present a lot of unknown. Having a vacation booked, to somewhere I know we like can give me some reassurance I guess. Not sure if this make sense, but we need bit of both - the comfort of knowing we are going to visit somewhere we love but also some trips to experience new locations. That's why we mix different type vacations.

I really don't think there is one way fits all, I loved long beach vacations years ago and right now they will not be my first choice for over 4 nights. I don't have interest in visiting WDW every year or twice a year, but love our every few years trip.

21stamps

I have to share this..

On the car ride home tonight, I decided to talk to my son about canceling our Disney trip for November. I asked him "What do you think about traveling to some new places, and some old..The Keys need our tourism and possible volunteer hours, and we're going to different places on the cruise. Are you ok with canceling Disney World and doing that instead? We can't do all 3."

His response-

"I would much rather travel around the world and our country than just go to Disney World. Plus, the Keys need our help. And I want to practice my Spanish in Mexico."

This kid really is mine.lol. He's got the travel bug in him too. I wanted to pull over and hug him then and there!

I'm finally pulling the trigger and doing all cancelations tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom