Why Not a Virtual...

rnese

Original Poster
Since "second life" games are so popular (Minecraft, Warcraft, Sims, etc) why isn't there a game based on the Disney World Resort? Create an on-line virtual reality world of the entire property. Players can experience everything from staying in the resort hotels, visit the parks, ride attractions, watch parades, meet and greet characters... You can earn money/points by becoming a cast member or completing tasks in order to extend your stay. Thoughts?

DizFiz

I always wondered that myself but to shed light on VMK it was actual a game created for the happiest celebration on earth promotional campaign to commemorate fifty years of Disney theme parks and was to only be a limited time thing but it stayed longer than it was suppose to.

If you actual would love to see what it was really about you can find some great websites dedicated to it... I was actual a frequent member back in the day on VMK... always felt it was a great way to continue the magical experience right from your pc.

lego606

MagicBandit
I always wondered that myself but to shed light on VMK it was actual a game created for the fifty years of disney parks and was to only be a limited time thing but it stayed longer than it was suppose to.

If you actual would love to see what it was really about you can find some great websites dedicated to it... I was actual a frequent member back in the day on VMK... always felt it was a great way to continue the magical experience right from your pc.

I miss it so much :(

I heard that the reason it closed was due to Habbo switching from Shockwave to Flash and it would cost too much $ to port everything over.

PUSH

Someone pointed out that there was once a Virtual Magic Kingdom. What happened?

There was, but it was for a "promotion" I believe they claimed, and that's why they shut it down. I don't know if that's the actual truth, and I assume it's not the full truth. I also read somewhere that they didn't want to spend the money to switch servers or something.

Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) was more geared towards DLR, I believe. So it wasn't really a WDW game.

So to answer you're question it just closed.

litaljohn

Since "second life" games are so popular (Minecraft, Warcraft, Sims, etc) why isn't there a game based on the Disney World Resort?

they were working on it up until about 6 months ago and canne the whole project. thing were tarting to come together but then whenever the yeti showed up, your game would freeze and you couldn't. they tried to work around it but whenever you moved the backgrounds kept flickering. it had to with a disk drive error. I believe it was referred to as the Disk-O yeti effect.

luv

I played VMK once. It wasn't super-realistic, didn't really seem like Disney to me.

And I thought it was more of a kid game.

Maybe I did it wrong. I don't know.

What you describe sounds fun. :)

DisneyBeatles

VMK was probably the most addicting game I had ever played. I was so scattered once they shut it down. There were always so many people playing it, I could never see why they did. If people loved it so much, they could've just let it go on for a very long time rather than just for the promotion.

Thrill

There was, but it was for a "promotion" I believe they claimed, and that's why they shut it down. I don't know if that's the actual truth, and I assume it's not the full truth. I also read somewhere that they didn't want to spend the money to switch servers or something.

Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) was more geared towards DLR, I believe. So it wasn't really a WDW game.

So to answer you're question it just closed.

My best guess is that it was shut down because it directly contradicted DIMG's plans for its future online game lineup. The plan which was moved along towards the end of 2007, beginning of 2008 was that Disney was going to churn out a whole bunch of mediocre MMOs based on each of their major franchises. The theory is that VMK was all-encompassing. You could put almost any Disney brand into VMK, so why would one pay for a Toy Story MMO and a Pirates MMO if it were possible to just play one game with aspects of both of those franchises? Cars Online (now also closed) and Pixie Hollow were the first two out, and then they switched to Facebook and mobile games.

The Happiest Celebration on Earth thing is an excuse, in any event.

rnese

Original Poster
they were working on it up until about 6 months ago and canne the whole project. thing were tarting to come together but then whenever the yeti showed up, your game would freeze and you couldn't. they tried to work around it but whenever you moved the backgrounds kept flickering. it had to with a disk drive error. I believe it was referred to as the Disk-O yeti effect.
Now that's good comedy! I heard Fantasmic kept causing computers to freeze as well.

openendedsky

Does anybody remember the Walt Disney World Explorer?

images

WDWExplorerFrontierland.png

Cmdr_Crimson

Does anybody remember the Walt Disney World Explorer?

images

I have both 1st & 2nd Editions..And are equally as great...But, NOTHING Compares to the only other game that reflected the Resort (Unless anything else comes out for it) has to be.....
a0b194.jpg

I have all 4 versions of this game (PC, Dreamcast, PSone, & Game Boy Color) I like to do the time trials and just slowly drive around and see how close they made the ride as a layout as a race track..Plus with the attraction song being used for each raceway it was much more fun..(Try listening to the Game boy color versions of the attraction songs the Test Track Theme done in 8 bit style..Hilarious) But, for people who never knew this exsisted..Here's a video to take a look see..

litaljohn

I have both 1st & 2nd Editions..And are equally as great...But, NOTHING Compares to the only other game that reflected the Resort (Unless anything else comes out for it) has to be.....
a0b194.jpg

I have all 4 versions of this game (PC, Dreamcast, PSone, & Game Boy Color) I like to do the time trials and just slowly drive around and see how close they made the ride as a layout as a race track..Plus with the attraction song being used for each raceway it was much more fun..(Try listening to the Game boy color versions of the attraction songs the Test Track Theme done in 8 bit style..Hilarious) But, for people who never knew this exsisted..Here's a video to take a look see..
I have this on playstation somewhere, I do think that Disneyland kinect was a nice park comparison though, especially younger kids, it had the attractions and things as mini games and in between you actually would walk through the park. (you would even go to characters and get them to sign your autograph book)

Cmdr_Crimson

I have this on playstation somewhere, I do think that Disneyland kinect was a nice park comparison though, especially younger kids, it had the attractions and things as mini games and in between you actually would walk through the park. (you would even go to characters and get them to sign your autograph book)

I still wish they released it for PS3..The only recent game that came out for the Next gen consoles is Toy Story Mania..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom