Why isn't Expedition Everest's Monster Called the Abomidable Snowman?

Scott M

Original Poster
Why isn't Expedition Everest's Monster Called the Abominable Snowman?

I apologize if this has been asked in a previous thread. I did a quick search to no avail.

Why did Disney elect to call Expedition Everest's inhabitant a Yeti, and not the Abominable Snowman? It seems that the Abominable Snowman is the more popular name for the legendary monster that dwells in the Himalayas.

I'm just curious as to what the reasoning may be. Thanks, in advance, for any and all input.

Scott

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Everest is an authentic experience, and the more generic common names like the abominable snowman are not used. :) This is also why the Yeti is a dark color, and not white as commonly depidcted. The authentic impression from locals, is that the Yeti is dark in color.

Glasgow

They figured Yetis from around the world might sue if they called it "Abominable" - that's just not politically correct ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Scott M said:
I had also been wondering why it is brown, and not white. Thanks for the information.

Scott
Oddly enough he is brown to be more accurate. In one of Joe Rode's interviews he explained that the people that have claimed to see the rumored real Yeti describe him as disappearing into rock of the mountain. If I am not mistaken the Yeti in E:E was modeled after a type of monkey native to the area that the Yeti is rumored to inhabit.

wannab@dis

If you have a chance, try to catch a re-run of the travel channel special about the making of EE. Joe Rohde goes into much detail about why they used the Yeti and the history of the Yeti lore. I was amazed at the lengths they went to create as factually acurate an experience as possible.

ctwhalerman

I'm thinking "Yeti" is a name that is more often used with this specific Himalayan monster. There are, I think, legends of abominable snowmen in places like Alaska, the Alps, and even the Andes, so I think Disney decided to go with the more native Nepalese name of Yeti.

I also heard they patterned the figure on some monkey native to the area, hence its brown fur.

Ryoseth

its a legend in in the area around the mountain. its sort of a cultural elemtn to the Sharpa people. if you went up to one of htem and asked them what the abominable snow man was, then they wouldnt know what you are talking about. they have cultural elemtnts all through AK, so they kept with the theme.

sillyspook13

Glasgow said:
They figured Yetis from around the world might sue if they called it "Abominable" - that's just not politically correct ;)
They're not as hard to get along with as their name implies.....

Your post reminded me of the Geico "Even a caveman could do it" commercials.:lol:

RnRJoe6114

Connor002 said:
At 100 million plus dollars, they can do what they want...
Good point.
And also it's because it's set in the Himalayas and in the Himalayas it's known as the Yeti. Abominable Snowman is what it's called in more modernized places.

Kadee

wannab@dis said:
If you have a chance, try to catch a re-run of the travel channel special about the making of EE. Joe Rohde goes into much detail about why they used the Yeti and the history of the Yeti lore. I was amazed at the lengths they went to create as factually acurate an experience as possible.

That was a great show!! Definitely worth watching. I was very impressed with the authenticity of the ride (well, from the pictures....I haven't rode it yet) compared to the places they visited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom