Why isn’t there resort-wide food delivery service on property?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
With the rise of Uber eats, Door dash, and other such services, I’m real surprised Disney hasn’t created their own such service for guests staying on property. It just seems like something that could be profitable for them. I couldn’t see them doing park food, but certainly food from other resort restaurants and Disney Springs.

If they had something like this would you ever use it?

pixie225

With the rise of Uber eats, Door dash, and other such services, I’m real surprised Disney hasn’t created their own such service for guests staying on property. It just seems like something that could be profitable for them. I couldn’t see them doing park food, but certainly food from other resort restaurants and Disney Springs.

If they had something like this would you ever use it?
We would definitely use it!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
the ONLY thing I can think of is quality of food? For example - you're staying at the Contemporary and want Sanaa - AKL is a WAYS from there and your food will probably be cold, or lukewarm, by the time it gets to you.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
the ONLY thing I can think of is quality of food? For example - you're staying at the Contemporary and want Sanaa - AKL is a WAYS from there and your food will probably be cold, or lukewarm, by the time it gets to you.
It's far *and* you can't get door-to-door with just a car. The restaurants are almost all pedestrian-access only, meaning the driver would have to park in a lot that isn't actually anywhere near the dining location itself.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
This idea would not work well in practice in my opinion.

We're not talking door to door pick up and delivery.
Someone would have to walk around the resort to the restaurant to pick up the food and then back to a car and then drive to another resort and find a place to park and then wander around the resort to find the room.
It would waste a lot of time, food would be cold, and do you know how much extra they would charge for that type of service? A LOT.

Why not just go to the resort restaurant yourself and eat and then go back to your resort?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not only are there numerous logistical problems with delivery that others have pointed out, there is also the issue with kitchen capacity.

Kitchens are typically designed to support the capacity of the restaurant and not much more. Adding a couple hundred "to-go" orders to a kitchen already running at or near full capacity is a recipe for disaster.

Amidala

Agree with the logistics problems others have pointed out but if there was a way to make it happen I would definitely use it. I end up DoorDashing food to the resort at least once (often multiple times) every vacation and the trek out to the lobby in the evening always feels like such a chore. Would definitely be willing to pay an upcharge for a CM to deliver it directly to your room. Usually there's at least room service, but it was temporarily discontinued on my last stay back in Feb. Any news on whether that's returned yet or when it will?

SpoiledBlueMilk

If they can make it profitable I'm sure they would do it. However, look at Minivan. I loved that service but it couldn't survive the pandemic. A food delivery service would be first to go if the economy sinks.

JIMINYCR

I would love being able to get food from resort restaurants that cook items not found in other spots. Especially when ADR's cant be easily made. I doubt Disney would start offering the service because it would be a nightmare guaranteeing a timely delivery. As far as the temps of the food, weve used food delivery services a lot more than ever before since covid hit , ordering from some of our favorite eateries that we cant dine in. They have had no issue with delivering their food hot, and some are driving from quite a distance. There have been some meals that did arrive just on the warm side but certainly not cold where it needed to be reheated. The main issue probably would be the cost involved, the timing and the number of delivery drivers needed to keep it going.

SteveAZee

Not only are there numerous logistical problems with delivery that others have pointed out, there is also the issue with kitchen capacity.

Kitchens are typically designed to support the capacity of the restaurant and not much more. Adding a couple hundred "to-go" orders to a kitchen already running at or near full capacity is a recipe for disaster.
Yes, I suppose that unlike 'normal' restaurants, most Disney restaurants don't have lulls during the day, certainly not the ones in the parks. Perhaps some resort restaurants do, though... so using the lulls might be possible?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

I haven't tried it myself yet, I feel 'safe enough' dining at Disney but a LOT of restaurants and QS are currently offering "to go" in the MDE app under mobile ordering. I wonder how much that puts pressure on the kitchens as it currently sits?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
If they can make it profitable I'm sure they would do it. However, look at Minivan. I loved that service but it couldn't survive the pandemic. A food delivery service would be first to go if the economy sinks.
I don't know how profitable it was, but the Minnie Van concept was very popular, and I know we used it a few times on trips. If I had to guess, I would say the pandemic just made things too difficult for them to continue under limited occupancy, and the cleaning requirements. It wouldn't surprise me to see it brought back at some point, once all the pandemic issues are settled and they're back to full operating capacity.

HouCuseChickie

Let's be honest...if Disney's research shows that it's something guests would use that would result in a big enough profit, they'll find a way. Maybe the current set up isn't great for making this happen, but I'm sure they'd work their way past logistical issues if they saw enough $$$s in the anticipated profit. As for using it...I could see it being a nice option to have in pandemic times...especially when restaurant options are more limited and hours make Disney provided transport a bit iffy if timing things around park opening and closing. In normal times, I can't see this being as popular or profitable. Unlike the Minnie Van, which gets me to other places I want to be, this is more of a service for the person who wants to stay put at their resort. Unless I'm getting some late night stuff, I see most of our meals being in a restaurant.

jaklgreen

This is what I was going to say. In normal times, restaurants run at capacity and I can't imagine how they would handle dozens of extra tickets at peak times. I don't think that anyone wants to wait 2 hours for their meal to come out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom