Why is Stitch's Great Escape still there?

Lucky

Well, aside from the meet and greet that used to take place @ AK, not sure if it still does, this is the only presence of Stitch that I'm aware in the park, isn't it?

The last few years I have seen Stitch at Epcot to the right just before SSE. He always seemed to be there. I haven't been for a while so they might have moved him to someplace else, but, he was there for quite a while.
I've seen Stitch in the Space Mt. arcade, playing Guitar Hero.

ddbowdoin

The problems with Stitch' Great Escape are not small elements. The bigger whole lacks impact. To me it was like spending a lot of money on a nice new watch only to find out that it doesn't keep time well.

but again, it boils down to "does the average guest care or even notice"... and the answer is no.

ddbowdoin

Nonsense. If they didn't they'd go to any number of cheaper parks instead.

eh, I don't know about that... I'd like to think a vast majority of parents bring their kids to Disney because that's what parents "just do".

9 times out of 10 I hear dads talking about Disney... at work, at my local hockey rink, down the gym etc etc etc talking about how their summer plans are just "bringing the kids to disney, they love that stuff".

We're the only adults that are clamoring over this stuff.

Matt_Black

Well, aside from the meet and greet that used to take place @ AK, not sure if it still does, this is the only presence of Stitch that I'm aware in the park, isn't it?

In the actual parks, Stitch also meets at DHS by the Big Hat (or at least he did in December 2012). Resort-wide, there's the Ohana breakfast, obviously, plus I've seen him at Christmas time at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Anyway, tried SGE for the first time when I went this past October and... You know, when the thing I liked best about it was the pre-show, that's not good. Kevin MacDonald was criminally underused in the whole thing. Why hire a comedian to reprise his role from the film only to not have him say anything funny?

On the plus side, now that I've done it, I never have to do it again.

Matt_Black

They don't have a great track record with that area of Tomorrowland, Buzz Lightyear's Spin, Mosnter's Laugh floor, and Stich are all 3rd generation attractions that "sorta" fit the theme of Tomorrowland... similar to the original attraction of the Speedway/Race Track, I think Stich is there mainly because it's the idea they could come up with that fit the Tomorrowland/outer space theme

It's a shame that some of the Disney properties that would fit Tomorrowland better aren't more popular- Tron, Treasure Planet, Meet the Robinsons, etc.

denygold

While Stitch is not my favorite, I don't think it's horrible. People do use it, not everything can be Splash Mountain or Soarin. I think a big part of the problem is that a certain percentage of people on the boards LOVED the Alien predecessor to Stitch and have never gotten over their anger. (I understand- that's the way I feel everytime I see Mission Space and think about Horizons)

MikeTaylorSound

I think the reason most are upset by the continued version/existence of this attraction, is that little voice in the back of their head is saying, "you're only as strong as your weakest link." People come to expect the best experiences and attractions from the Walt Disney Company and this concept just stands out like a sore thumb-especially in Magic Kingdom. There are many other things to complain about, like the lack of attention EPCOT is getting, the makeover Hollywood Studios needs, etc., but juxtapose SGE with the fun, interactive world of the MILF (ha) that just so happens to be just a few steps away, pushes the experience to the forefront of your thoughts. It's night and day. How can this attraction exist here? Why did I "ride" that? By comparison, CoP is kind of advertised as old and with a different style than the rest of TML. I would guess it's one of those "housekeeping" type of reasons why it hasn't been changed... how long have we had electric car technology and yet Tomorrowland Speedway still has those old cars that reek gas fumes?

If Stitch is going to stay for awhile, at least make it somewhat interactive for the kiddos... give them bracelets or something that glow and interact with the character in the tank. Anybody can voice-over a scratchy, bubbly voice like that (probably why I don't like the character), so there's no excuse why they can't make it happen.

NearTheEars

Well this is one place that "bold assumption" came from. Just read some of what they say about, well is it a ride or a show? If its a show, why the painful restraints?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stitchs-great-escape-orlando

I'm still a big believer in trying something out before commenting. That's why I try to refrain from passing judgement on fastpass+ Until they open it up to AP.

Attractions, food, music - all subjective. But it's probably too late for you to experience the attraction with clear eyes.

And hey, like I said it's not a must for me so I'm not too sad about that.

NearTheEars

Well, aside from the meet and greet that used to take place @ AK, not sure if it still does, this is the only presence of Stitch that I'm aware in the park, isn't it? I give this ride a pass as Stitch reminds me of when the Florida studio actually functioned. It was drawn there, correct? And though I have never liked the character, for some reason, he still appeals to enough people that I suppose he warrants something. But to the OP, I consider it blasphemy that you consider the Tiki Room a waste of space. Boo, hiss.

We met Stich right at the entrance of EPCOT, just past the monuments over the summer. Not sure if he's always there.

JohnD

You should probably at least do it before forming an opinion. I think too many people jump on the bandwagon for the sake of riding the wave of dislike. We did it for the first time last trip, not a great attraction but really no worse or any larger a waste of space than the Tiki Birds, MILF or Alladin. The animatronics were actually pretty darn good I thought. I am not a fan and thought the previous Timekeeper iteration was better but given the choice of empty space or open I would rather see it open than becoming another Wonders of Life pavilion or the any one of a number of empty spaces throughout the parks that TDO likes to pretend we do not notice.

Going in I heard it was horrible. But like you, I decided to reserve judgment. Yep, still horrible. Stitch crawling on my back? "Burp" smell? Really? It nowhere compares with Tiki birds. That is a Walt Disney classic. Laugh Floor is actually a "show", similar to Turtle Talk in Epcot. And Alladin is just a different version of Dumbo.

copcarguyp71

Going in I heard it was horrible. But like you, I decided to reserve judgment. Yep, still horrible. Stitch crawling on my back? "Burp" smell? Really? It nowhere compares with Tiki birds. That is a Walt Disney classic. Laugh Floor is actually a "show", similar to Turtle Talk in Epcot. And Alladin is just a different version of Dumbo.

Points of view I guess...my opinion, take it or leave it.

But I would argue that Alladin is a half handed attempt to fill a hole that did not need to be filled. A duplicate of another ride (as you stated) and totally impedes the flow of that entire area causing bottlenecks all around it...again, just my opinion.

JohnD

Points of view I guess...my opinion, take it or leave it.

But I would argue that Alladin is a half handed attempt to fill a hole that did not need to be filled. A duplicate of another ride (as you stated) and totally impedes the flow of that entire area causing bottlenecks all around it...again, just my opinion.

Re: Alladin, for adults, yes. I have no interest in riding it. But MK is probably the most kid-friendly park so I understand why Alladin was built. Now there are three "flying" rides--Alladin, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter" in separate areas of MK.

BobConnor

Original Poster
:eek:Well, I have to admit that you are all right about Carosel of Progress. Maybe they can get Stanley Steemer as a sponsor and clean it up.
Now all of you have me wanting to see SGE just to see how bad it is. But everywhere I read where people say "how bad can it be?" the answer is yes, its that bad!

Matt_Black

Re: Alladin, for adults, yes. I have no interest in riding it. But MK is probably the most kid-friendly park so I understand why Alladin was built. Now there are three "flying" rides--Alladin, Dumbo, Astro Orbiter" in separate areas of MK.

If you count the Triceratops ride at AK, then you've got four attractions that are basically the same thing.

rt06

Well, aside from the meet and greet that used to take place @ AK, not sure if it still does, this is the only presence of Stitch that I'm aware in the park, isn't it? I give this ride a pass as Stitch reminds me of when the Florida studio actually functioned. It was drawn there, correct? And though I have never liked the character, for some reason, he still appeals to enough people that I suppose he warrants something. But to the OP, I consider it blasphemy that you consider the Tiki Room a waste of space. Boo, hiss.

I saw Stitch with Chip n Dale at that dance floor in Tomorrowland. It was awkward because Stitch wasn't moving very well. As the three went through the choreography, Stitch just kind of shuffled along, struggling to keep up (heat exhaustion?). After the brief stage entrance, Chip n Dale joined the dance floor and Stitch disappeared.

Goofyernmost

:eek:Well, I have to admit that you are all right about Carosel of Progress. Maybe they can get Stanley Steemer as a sponsor and clean it up.
Now all of you have me wanting to see SGE just to see how bad it is. But everywhere I read where people say "how bad can it be?" the answer is yes, its that bad!
Well, not exactly everywhere. Just in this thread alone there have been a number of people that have said it wasn't bad. Are you choosing to just pass over those as not knowing what they are talking about? If people are uptight and can't find a way to enjoy the special effects, they they are going to be upset about it, just like they are with Tough to be a Bug and Honey I shrunk the audience.

JohnD

Well, not exactly everywhere. Just in this thread alone there have been a number of people that have said it wasn't bad. Are you choosing to just pass over those as not knowing what they are talking about? If people are uptight and can't find a way to enjoy the special effects, they they are going to be upset about it, just like they are with Tough to be a Bug and Honey I shrunk the audience.

With rides like Carousel and Tiki, you have to go in with the attitude that it was a "Disney original". What was it that he was trying to accomplish? It's not always about instant gratification from a ride. I think a little more perspective from these original attractions would draw greater appreciation toward them.

Stitch doesn't even compare. It's just a retrofitted Alien Encounter with disastrous results.

BobConnor

Original Poster

Well I plan to go back this coming May (my birthday) and do you think I should go experience it? It's just that when you read reviews like "This is the last exit before Stitches Great Escape - TAKE IT!" I get a little bit worried that it will be 15 minutes of my life that I will never get back. And I find as I get older, that much of my life matters!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom