Why is Disney's Communication so poor?

No Name

1591741247584.jpeg

cmwade77

Time and time again it never fails to amaze me that a company that makes as much as Disney is so bad with communication.

In the midst of the Coronavirus every park in the area (Universal, Six Flags, Knotts) announced their plans for passholders in a short amount of time.

People with Disney passes that cost 3-4x as much as their competitors are left in the dust. Disney World even reopens in a few weeks and the park still has not made anything clear about how passes will be extended, how benefits will work etc.

Shanghai is doing the right thing and extending passes by the dates of park closure + the dates of their "reservation only" period.

Yet for local parks, it is certainly a cluster. Originally they said expired passes would be refunded by default, now (as of June 1) they are saying extended by default. Yet clear guidance and information has yet to be given for local parks.

Why does Disney constantly like having a misinformation campaign?

If the company wants to deliver bad news, I'd rather have it upfront. How is someone supposed to decide whether they want a refund or not if they have no idea how pass extensions and benefits will work?

Or is this part of Disney's plan to keep their customer's money by delivering the bad news after it's too late to get a refund?
Actually it has been for a while that if paid in full, extension is the default, if not, then refund is the default.

TP2000

No, the rest of your post was right. They're not being evil, they're being cripplingly incompetent.

Bingo!

Disney's communications teams in Anaheim and Orlando are a joke. A complete joke. Or an even better description that you deserve a gold star for; they are cripplingly incompetent.

They belch out happy-shiny Parks Blog photos and recipes and corny Ahora! announcements, but can't actually communicate with long term customers who have historically given them huge amounts of money.

Why would anyone need any sort of information about their Annual Pass payments with Disneyland closed for the past three months and with no announced reopening date?

What we really want is the first Instagram post from Ken Potrock about how "honored" he is to be "leading Walt Disney's original" amusement park. He'll also include the root words; awe, immerse, magic, relevant, and/or family.

You people worried about your AP payments? Just be quiet and wait for the Instagram post from Ken Potrock. :rolleyes:

DisneyJoe

No, the rest of your post was right. They're not being evil, they're being cripplingly incompetent.
Agreed - much of this links back to incompetent Information technology design, planning and testing. They cannot communicate how something should work, until something has actually been implemented and is working (to some degree), and even then, that may change at a moments notice.

In other words, they could tell you something today how it is going to work, and in a few days time, that would change.

Until they put the proper priority and budget into IT (including proper testing) they will always be communicating things at the last minute.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disneyland hasn't even emailed me at all in regards to the closure OR my AP (which is now technically expired).
Really? They emailed me several times with clear updates about the closure and how it would affect my AP. Which at the beginning of April I called them and had my payments delayed so my AP, which expires in 9 days, would be extended upon reopening.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just checked my account and my email and everything is correct. Checked spam folder as well. Glad to hear that they did send out emails, now that I think about it I haven't got an AP email in years. Not sure what's going on over on their side.

Have they said how benefits / blackouts would work upon reopening?
Might want to check your notification preferences on your account. Maybe you opted out of receiving emails.

No they haven't provided an update on benefits or blackouts upon reopening, likely because no official reopening date is known yet. Once a date is set for reopening more information will likely come out, just like WDW. New information is coming out daily for the WDW reopening, so I expect the same when DLR gets their reopen date.

Parteecia

Another example of poor communication: my pass expired 5/31. When it disappeared from the app I called and they reassured me that it would come back in time and there would be no issues with continuation. Well I just found out from a friend whose pass expires next year that she has been getting email updates that I haven't. I just sent them a sternly worded email.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom