Why Have People Put Up With Disney So Lazy and Cheap?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I have an excuse...I am a Disney apologist with a lot of emotional nostalgia built in, but what's the excuse for everyone else?

I'm frankly shocked that people haven't done more "voting with their wallets" and punish Disney, particularly for the EPCOT and DHS debacles of the last 10 years.

Now I know Universal has seen some nice gains, but Disney still grows their attendance to the point the parks are now almost literally bursting (thanks for not expanding more).

I strongly dislike Iger and his failed model of expansion in other parts of the world, focus on margin, and general auto pilot on WDW. Yet, he has been under watch as Disney World sets attendance records and the stock hovers near all time highs.

How is the consumer so resilient? Perhaps they just don't know what they're missing?

Dartha Stewart

As long as there's rides, bathrooms and places to eat, good enough to me.
Exactly. I mean, what was Walt thinking with all this "story" and "ambiance" rubbish? Just slap down a few tilt-a-whirls, a burger stand, a restroom, and... voila! What more do we really need?
Walt-Disney.jpg

MinnieWaffles

Exactly. I mean, what was Walt thinking with all this "story" and "ambiance" rubbish? Just slap down a few tilt-a-whirls, a burger stand, a restroom, and... voila! What more do we really need?
Walt-Disney.jpg

Erm, doesn't mean I don't appreciate the extra level of detail Disney has. Just means I don't fuss with "OH NOES DISNEY MOVED THE BIN 5 METRES TO THE RIGHT AND PUT THE HOT DOGS UP 50 CENTS THE MAGIC HAS GONE!1!!!

Sans Souci

I have an excuse...I am a Disney apologist with a lot of emotional nostalgia built in, but what's the excuse for everyone else?

I'm frankly shocked that people haven't done more "voting with their wallets" and punish Disney, particularly for the EPCOT and DHS debacles of the last 10 years.

Now I know Universal has seen some nice gains, but Disney still grows their attendance to the point the parks are now almost literally bursting (thanks for not expanding more).

I strongly dislike Iger and his failed model of expansion in other parts of the world, focus on margin, and general auto pilot on WDW. Yet, he has been under watch as Disney World sets attendance records and the stock hovers near all time highs.

How is the consumer so resilient? Perhaps they just don't know what they're missing?

Read your first sentence, perhaps you underestimate the amount of others who feel similarly?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Perhaps:

A) There are many with the same "excuse" as you?
B) The "brand" still holds sway?
C) The parks aren't as horrible as all the Doom and Gloomers on web forums would have you believe?

The simple reality, IMO, is that things change over the years and some folks like what's changed and others don't. Whether it's better or worse or just different is very much in the eye of the beholder. I personally feel Disney has it right, their profits and crowds tend to support that position.

JIMINYCR

Because the majority of guests dont know and dont care......Its real easy for those experienced, multiple times a year visiting guests to gripe, say things negative and have a fit about things they dislike, because they see the imperfections all the time staring them in the face and they know what could be. But the average guests who are going only once or twice in their lifetime are just happy with what they find, not knowing what could be. They dont look for the perfect Disney park we know could exist.

Konor

Comes down to this, those who have a complaint take the time to type it out either here (which does nothing but give them some sort of satisfaction and is the reason most of us subscribe to the forums), or through a carefully worded e-mail to Disney (which I am speculating contains the phrase "give me a free trip' somewhere in it). Honestly I think 99% of the people with wallets either don't see a problem or don't see a need for complaining and enjoy the vacation. People who love their vacation will usually just start planning another, not wishing for the mouse's demise.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Fair question. After realizing how much money it actually costs for me and a small group of friends to go to Disney World.... I will be changing my trips to Disneyland in California. This senior trip in July is my last trip to disney World until 2019.. Maybe. If the new lands are up to what they should be.

Disneyland, I thought, was worth the money during our list trip there in January. It uses all of its space to its full potential! Granted, Disney World has a LOT more space.. But they shouldn't have 4 theme parks if they aren't able to keep up with them all.

Update 2018-- Obviously that "Maybe" was important.

Last edited:

draybook

I'll be honest. We're still trying to make our September trip happen. However, after that it's going to be a couple or years or so before we go back. The price increases plus the obvious money grabs are putting us off. Plus, we're kind of burned out on doing the the same things 2 or 3 times a year. Plus, that'll give our youngest son(due at the end of August) some time to grow and be able to remember more from his next trip.

JIMINYCR

I'll be honest. We're still trying to make our September trip happen. However, after that it's going to be a couple or years or so before we go back. The price increases plus the obvious money grabs are putting us off. Plus, we're kind of burned out on doing the the same things 2 or 3 times a year. Plus, that'll give our youngest son(due at the end of August) some time to grow and be able to remember more from his next trip.
Thats whats so great about being able to go as your kids grow up, they always have different memories and experiences and desires to try more grown up things. Even though we hate a space of a year between trips, gong back with time in between makes the return trip seem new and exciting. We're now also thinking of delaying a trip back until all the new construction is finished... then IT WILL BE a whole new world.

wdwfan4ver

You dealing with 5 things. First, you are dealing with Nostalgia for Disney some of the guests.

The 2nd thing is you are dealing with new guests who don't know how things were. While I first went to WDW in the early 1990's, I know people outside of the interent that didn't go WDW before the last 10 years

The third thing is there are people who just think there are getting their money's worth at the correct prices and actually think they are getting a bargain. While I don't think the prices at WDW are a bargain, it doesn't mean no one thinks the prices aren't bargains. You shouldn't have problem with people thinking the prices are bargains because you said the current princes at the Magic Kingdom are bargains .

The fourth thing you are dealing with is some parents actually went to WDW once or twice they were growing up, and they actually want their kids to experience being at WDW like they did. I am pointing this out because I know people outside the internet that actually want their kids to experience WDW like they did.

The final thing is you dealing people that actually can't wait any longer for going to WDW due to the amount of years saving for the trip. The best way to put this is I know people outside of the internet that wanted to go WDW for years with their kids, but had to wait for a very long time for going to WDW from a money standpoint.

Last edited:

Sonconato

I agree with many of the responses to this post in that many on this forum have the same excuse as you. Of the three big theme parks here in Orlando, Disney, Universal & Sea World, Disney appeals to us more because of the Stories that the park is themed after. Sea World would be our next in line but the problem with Sea World is that most of the attractions are scheduled and early in the day, in which being locals, we prefer to visit the parks late in the day into the evening, therefore we miss most of what we want to see. It just doesn't work with our lifestyle. As for Universal, we have no strong interest in the characters and the stories behind the attractions, plus, many of the rides are thrill rides and we, unfortunately, can't stomach those types of rides anymore as we grow older. We prefer Disney because we like the Stories, especially the Classics and we also like the theming…at least most of it. True, DHS theming has fallen apart and Epcot, we're not sure there is a theme anymore, but we rarely visit those parks because of that. We love AK but it currently is more of a day park, which is a problem for us as mentioned above, and we don't see Avatar as an improvement…it just doesn't fit in our opinion. MK offers much of what we look for in a park for both theming and attractions, but they seem to be adding more thrill rides and meet and greets which is not our cup of tea.

As for your second question, how is the consumer so resilient? Well, we will probably get blasted for this but there was a coincidence that occurred at about the same time Iger became CEO that we feel is the main reason Disney's attendance has gone through the roof and there are plenty of articles that would support it. We certainly don’t feel it is based on what Iger has done, he has simply lucked out. Iger took over as CEO in 2005 and Facebook was founded in 2004. As Facebook took off, so did the postings of people having a great time at Disney. Most people base their success on achieving what others have, whether they can afford it or not. I would think that most, if not all, posts put on Facebook or any other social media during a trip to Disney, are those where the family is having a fantastic time. Very few, if any are showing the meltdowns, arguments, ride breakdowns, closings of attractions, long lines at Guest Relations, in ability to get into the room, etc…that we often see while at the parks ourselves. It has always fascinated us how people will walk by live entertainment, for example, take a quick photo and move on. I'm sure that was posted as seeing this group perform but in reality, it was a simple quick snap shot while in passing. When tons of these photos are viewed by hundreds of friends and families, they become envious and find themselves feeling they need to do the same. This certainly isn't going to apply to everybody, but I don't see how it wouldn't be a huge factor in the attendance increase at the parks.

Below is a small excerpt out of an article on ABC News in which to us, the main issue here is "keeping up with the Joneses" which has always been in existence but now it comes through the form of social media:

It all leads to what experts call financial insecurity. BabyCenter'sCost of Raising a Child Report found 60 percent of moms feel pressure to appear well off on social media as well as envy or embarrassment about their own financial situation.

Nicole Perez, mom of a 6-year-old tot, said the constant influx of material possessions on social media "makes you feel as if you are a failure as a mother. It's heartbreaking when your child says 'mom, when you get enough money can I get that toy?'" Perez said that family trips to Disney are all over her Facebook news feed, something that's just not possible in her current financial situation.

She's not alone. Colleen, a mom of two who preferred to use her first name only, admitted to "a habit of checking out the material 'clues' in the backgrounds of people's Facebook photos: kitchen cabinets or expensive furniture. I suppose it sort of creates a 'keeping up with the Joneses' feeling, and I'm sure I'm projecting all sorts of comparisons that might not even be there."

Gelman said beyond the emotional stress these feeling can cause, there are very real financial concerns. "There's a lot of maxing out of credit cards and buying things you can't afford. Which is really unfortunate just so you can go online and say 'look what I've done for my kids."

It seems this article is a little focused on single mothers but we feel it applies across the board. This probably doesn't apply to most of those on this forum but it might help explain the huge attendance increase of the first timers or infrequent guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom