Why hate the GF?

crispy

Yeah I think like others have said, it is nice, but the costs are astronomical. But, Disney charges those rates because they can. Demand drives prices. That resort, even more so than the other monorail loop resorts, is in constant demand.

That being said, even regardless of the prices, AKL is my pick of the Deluxe resorts. I think being on the monorail loop is a bit overrated. I guess it is more valuable to you if you are traveling without a car, though Disney resort transportation does a pretty good job. Plus I've always found the theme to be a bit on the stuffy side.

Of the monorail loop deluxes, Poly would be my pick, with Contemporary second and GF last. Actually, Contemporary is far more convenient because you can actually walk to and from MK, though from a theme standpoint it is the most standard/plain.

Except the occupancy rate has dropped quite a bit there (per some very knowledgeable posters) so there really isn't a constant demand.

DisneyDebNJ

I can only speak of my personal experiences... the resort is very nice, not worth the cost in all honesty. We found the staff to be extremely rude and cold. Is it a beautiful resort? Yes... would I stay there again, no.... but we all have our opinions :)

Courtney6682

We stayed there twice when I was younger...in 1997 when I was 15 and again in 2001 when my daughter was 18 months old. Our family loved it there...in '97 Mary Kate and Ashley's family was staying there and we met them and hung out with their older brother Trent for a few days;)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My DW and I have stayed there quite a few times in the Sugarloaf and the Sago Key buildings. I'd say that the Sugarloaf would be worth repeating, but the Sago, the value wasn't there. The last time we stayed in the Sago building we had a top floor with the turret sitting room (One-bedroom Outer Lodge Suite) which was nice to hang out and relax in and very quiet but not worth all the extra walking :)

Some of the dining establishments are IMHO becoming a bit too much stuffed shirts: pretentious without merit, having only the cost associated with a better dining establishment but not the experience or product. Citrico's especially is guilty of this... Mamma Melroses Osso Bucco is a much better and consistent product.

snoop-a-loop

We spent a week at the VGF last month, and really did have a fantastic time. We first stayed at the GF in 1998 and have been back many times since, seeing renovations and other changes. The GF today isn't what is was 16 years ago, and that's okay. The resort did seem significantly busier than I remembered, which wasn't expected for September but given the situation at the Polynesian, I believe the resort was fairly full.

One thing I noticed about the villas is that from the resort grounds, it doesn't necessarily look out of place as it appears from the Contemporary or Polynesian. Regardless, once you enter the villas you forget entirely what the exterior looks like. The villas and the common spaces are great! Also a friendly and pleasant staff. They did something right with the new development.

But the question all comes down to, is it worth the price? Not really, but neither are the other resorts. I seem to always start pricing out a resort but somehow work my way up saying for $x more I can get this, and incrementally, end up back with the GF. Maybe nostalgia, but I'm hoping to make it back again next year.

ToTBellHop

The rooms are beautiful, and DVC itself doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me at AKL. But the exterior of VGF is sloppy and cheap. All they had to do was go to the effort of duplicating the style of the original buildings...and they didn't. Will it affect your stay? No, but the details used to be important to Disney.
I agree. I don't understand why people have such an issue with comments like this. When you are on a bus or monorail and go around behind the VGF, it is very clear that the exterior style is more cheaply made and simplistic than the original resort buildings. Internally, the rooms are very nice, but the exterior details matter at Disney's flagship resort. Similar corners were not cut at the other DVC additions, which makes it all the more surprising that they would do this at the Grand Floridian of all places.

marlaine8

We stayed there for the first time a couple of weeks ago after staying at The Poly Club Level Theme Park View for the last 8 trips. Decided not to stay at The Poly due to construction. Best decision ever! We were in the Main Building, 5th floor, Dormer room. It was perfect! Staff was great and super helpful! I spent a couple of evenings in the lounge chatting with the CMs. Really loved everything about it! My husband was sick one day and stayed behind while my son and I went to AK. When we got back, a CM actually opened a shop so we could buy some OTC meds. I was impressed with everything about the resort. When I asked my husband and 10 year old son where they want to stay next trip, they both said GF. Me too!

s&k'smom

My daughter is pretty disappointed we aren't staying there on our next trip I guess I am too a little but have decided to start knocking out our resort bucket list, next up Contemporary!

SSH

I've never stayed, but love to visit GF...just takes me to anther time and place. I also want to put a good word in for the staff, as I had a great experience. When we visited last year in Dec to ooh and aah at the lobby tree and gingerbread house, everyone working the floor was so warm and friendly. The piano player was on a break and saw us looking at the tree. He actually came over to greet us and ask how our trip was going. After we mentioned how beautiful everything was...he flagged down a CM, who told us about what was involved in setting the tree up. She actually pulled out her tablet and found videos of the GF workers bringing the tree inside and building it step by step...just to show us how much went into it. I thought that was so amazing for both of them to take the time to do that - to care about sharing those details with guests. This was one of my best memories from that trip.

tigger1968

Stayed once and didn't feel that the resort was worth anything close to the outrageous price. To qualify, it was about 6 years ago, and we were in a pre-remodel room. Didn't like the décor, and the walls were so thin that you could hear everything going on in the room next door. We found the staff to be mostly cool and unfriendly. We liked the food and enjoyed the pool, and loved the monorail, but if I have to stay on the resort beam, Poly or CR worked better for us, and we had done two trips to both of those at that time. At this point, I am with several others....AKL seems to be the best deluxe resort from a value standpoint.

TXDisney

I always wanted to stay at the GF. And got that wish and more 9 months ago. We got married at the Wedding Oavilion and actually had our reception at the GF. We stayed 3 nights there. We loved it. Only reason I could see disliking it is price.

DisneyDaver

You'd be shocked how many rooms go empty at the GF each night. Disney's current hotel pricing strategy makes zero sense.

What is their current strategy that makes no sense? I have a hard time believing that a company as sophisticated as Disney isn't monitoring supply and demand and making appropriate profit maximization decisions on its hotel room pricing and acceptable vacancy rates. The fact that there are vacant rooms doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense to lower prices unless the profit from increased occupancy would make up for the lost profit from lower prices.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Every time I go to Barnes and Noble, I glance to see what's new in the world of Disney travel books. The other night when I was there, every single book trashed the Grand Floridian! Why does everyone hate the GF suddenly?!?!

I think the fact that over the years quite a few "The Shining" style murdering sprees (89,94,96 (both Feb and July), 02, 07, and 11) have taken place at the GF have slowly eroded its reputation. That, and the fact many people feel uncomfortable walking through the lobby in a bathing suit.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think the fact that over the years quite a few "The Shining" style murdering sprees (89,94,96 (both Feb and July), 02, 07, and 11) have taken place at the GF have slowly eroded its reputation. That, and the fact many people feel uncomfortable walking through the lobby in a bathing suit.

Coming from the person who believes Splash Mountain is pants optional...

Sammy Mouse

I've been reading the GF haters for a while now and I just don't get it!
As a child going on the boat or the monorail to the MK from the car park I used to look at the GF and dream one day I'd be stopping there.
It took till I was 26 and a once in a lifetime ( or so we thought) Christmas vacation to finally get there.
The hotel is just as I imagined beautiful, relaxing and truly magical.
Yes it is very expensive and compromises have to made ( 4 adults in 1 room) but it was well worth it.
The restaurants are fantastic, the pools are relaxing and the monorail an added bonus.
We loved it so much that we are returning in April.
I agree that the price is ridiculous so much so that we can't afford another Christmas trip there but when your paying as much as we have too to get from the UK to America why not splurge and go to the Grand! As a person who can only travel at the most expensive times of year ( school holidays ) I would return every year if I could.

216bruce

Only objections we have are 1) it's not our 'style'. By that I mean we just don't find the look appealing (we are WL DVC members) and they are very different in theme and decor and 2) there is definitely a contingent of folks who stay there that stay there because it's "the best" and they love to make sure you are aware of that. Certainly not everyone, but a very snooty minority. I've never gotten that vibe from folks at The Contemporary or the Poly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom