Why doesn't WDW put extinct rides in Disney Springs or Boardwalk?

MrMcDuck

They won't do this, but if they did, they would certainly charge for it. They could easily get away with asking $10/ride.

DisneyJoe

Here is the thing, would it not attract more people, therefore more people to the stores/restaurants? The person who has the Hersheypark post explained things rather well, I thought. The boat rides are free at Disney Springs, no matter where you go. I understand that it is based on transportation for the most part but you need staff for that.
Transportation to/from resorts is subsidized by the resorts. Nothing is free.

It all comes down to return on investment - would making and having these attractions attract enough new customers and would they spend enough to justify their spend on the new builds?

NickMaio

Honestly, I would love a park filled with demo'd rides.
Perhaps with a new flair.
This would bring us back every year.

A HUGE part of the WDW is the emotional experience and connection.

I am sure I am not the only one who would love this Park idea

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I have been going to WDW since it opened and before that Disneyland. Me I am just waiting for the day when they gut a good chunk of Frontieerland/Island/RiverBoat and Liberty Square. From Tom Sawer at Thunder Mt side, to Haunted Mansion back to the railroad tracks, Liberty Square and many of the shops and shooting gallery, it is a huge plot of land. Liberty Square has little going, the River Boat isn't a huge hourly draw and neither is Tom's Island. That can all be redeveloped into a new land with modern attractions when the time is right for Disney as it is under utilized acreage. We see what happened to Birthdayland/Toon Town and multiple times shortening the track for the Indy Cars to accommodate both Circus and Tron. When push comes to shove a boat and an Island isn't likely enough to not consider redeveloping those acres.

I'd like to say no, just for the simple reason that Frontierland is specifically designed for a different era. A riverboat, Tom Sawyer Island and even just Liberty Square overall are themed for a different time. You can't modernize Frontierland, it defeats the purpose. I would think that Tom Sawyer Island has been there since 1972 (?) and would be gone by now if they wanted it to be. That would be a drastic switch in atmosphere and would completely gut the best land in the park. The Liberty Belle boat, along with the Railroad, are two images and sounds that are from a bygone era and are important to the fabric of what makes the park what it is.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'd like to say no, just for the simple reason that Frontierland is specifically designed for a different era. A riverboat, Tom Sawyer Island and even just Liberty Square overall are themed for a different time. You can't modernize Frontierland, it defeats the purpose. I would think that Tom Sawyer Island has been there since 1972 (?) and would be gone by now if they wanted it to be. That would be a drastic switch in atmosphere and would completely gut the best land in the park. The Liberty Belle boat, along with the Railroad, are two images and sounds that are from a bygone era and are important to the fabric of what makes the park what it is.

Look to Disneyland first. How the land was designed. Now look at StarWars in Disneyland in that spot. Look at how WDW Downtown Disney was designed, small, quaint, many hotels, bungalows and townhouses bulldozed. Look at the River Boat, The Empress Lilly, named as a tribute to Walt's wife. No era is safe or sacred. Both Disneyland and Disney World evolve. Times change.

World_Showcase_Lover007

So would a number of people, just not enough to warrant spending Millions of Dollars to build in a new location and have one or two of the same people ride "all day". The current presence of HM, PoC, SSE, Peter Pan, etc. is proof that Disney doesn't shut things down that are still considered a major draw of guests. The do get rid of the ones that cannot support a head count large enough to think that it is worth the expense of maintaining. As a for profit business we cannot really justify why they would not attempt to upgrade and create a new, more modern and exciting attraction. Now just as soon as they apply for tax exempt status as a charity, then we can complain loudly.

Whoa...not saying it makes traditional business sense, just saying I would ride it.

But then again....bring back Horizons and it would make a killing. There’s money to be made...such as why I recently bought an ole timely-like Victrola record player/radio.

And...well I have a lot of thoughts on ride operations, cuting hours of ops, shareholders and Disney Co record profits & it’s relationship with future park goers, but I’ll save that for another time.

ppete1975

I think the best you will get, and they prob should do more of is have some ride vehicles or plywood pieces in areas that you can see or even take selfies with, especially If it was something like toads car with really nice landscaping around it. I also hate to say it but I like the idea of them adding easter eggs in rides. Like you the ride is done you are waiting to unload and you hear a horn and mr toads car almost hits you (I made that up as an example) or in Disneyland the guardians ride having a few extinct things in the queue.

Goofyernmost

Whoa...not saying it makes traditional business sense, just saying I would ride it.

But then again....bring back Horizons and it would make a killing. There’s money to be made...such as why I recently bought an ole timely-like Victrola record player/radio.

And...well I have a lot of thoughts on ride operations, cuting hours of ops, shareholders and Disney Co record profits & it’s relationship with future park goers, but I’ll save that for another time.
Horizons would make a killing for about 1 year and then it would be as empty as it was when it closed before.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Look to Disneyland first. How the land was designed. Now look at StarWars in Disneyland in that spot. Look at how WDW Downtown Disney was designed, small, quaint, many hotels, bungalows and townhouses bulldozed. Look at the River Boat, The Empress Lilly, named as a tribute to Walt's wife. No era is safe or sacred. Both Disneyland and Disney World evolve. Times change.

I actually didn't even know that Fulton's Crab place was once the The Empress Lilly. Why even change the name? They didn't even change the location. Anyways, despite what is going on in Disneyland they still haven't taken away Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland right? Or the Mark Twain boat. This is even with the expansion of Star Wars and such. If Star Wars - as shoddy as the new movies are but still popular - isn't the one to replace Tom Sawyer Island, then what will? You really defeat the purpose of having the section of Frontierland if there isn't anything there in the first place.

thomas998

I am not a big fan of a 5th gate that would have extinct attractions. I know us fanboys bring that up as an idea but it isn't as practical as you think. Of course I would love it, as would many on here, but there would be nothing new to see and for most people it wouldn't have people flocking to return to it.

That being said, why have they never put stuff like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or Snow White in one of Disney Springs or Boardwalk? There seems like there would be lots of room to do this. They have a carousel at Disney Springs. Wouldn't this be a nice touch? With River Country getting gutted for a new resort I don't think it would hurt to have some nostalgic rides outside of the parks for the heck of it. A couple of them wouldn't hurt.

Has this idea ever been flirted with?
Probably not feasible unless you were willing to spend big money. An extinct ride would have to be modernized to meet the current building and accessibility requirements. That would cost a lot of money and for what? Do you expect to bring in guests from outside the resort? If not then you've invested a lot of money into a single ride that will have a very limited group of potential riders but will still require the same cost of maintenance and operation as it would if it were in one of the parks. It just wouldn't make any sense to do it.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I actually didn't even know that Fulton's Crab place was once the The Empress Lilly. Why even change the name? They didn't even change the location. Anyways, despite what is going on in Disneyland they still haven't taken away Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland right? Or the Mark Twain boat. This is even with the expansion of Star Wars and such. If Star Wars - as shoddy as the new movies are but still popular - isn't the one to replace Tom Sawyer Island, then what will? You really defeat the purpose of having the section of Frontierland if there isn't anything there in the first place.

But 10 years ago nobody would have thought StarWars would bulldoze areas of Walt's Disneyland or the Studios. My point is it a huge chunk of land in the Magic Kingdom that is vastly under utilized. Nothing in Tom Sawyer or Liberty is a huge draw nor the River Boat. It is prime picking for a future picking to expand Disney IPs. They can still leave half of Frontierland and blow off the balance of that and Liberty Square that has nothing to offer beyond Presidents that could be relocated or just removed. Presidents isn't a huge draw to start with and given the ugly need to have 3 security guards now in the theater the could be willing to just let it go.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
But 10 years ago nobody would have thought StarWars would bulldoze areas of Walt's Disneyland or the Studios. My point is it a huge chunk of land in the Magic Kingdom that is vastly under utilized. Nothing in Tom Sawyer or Liberty is a huge draw nor the River Boat. It is prime picking for a future picking to expand Disney IPs. They can still leave half of Frontierland and blow off the balance of that and Liberty Square that has nothing to offer beyond Presidents that could be relocated or just removed. Presidents isn't a huge draw to start with and given the ugly need to have 3 security guards now in the theater the could be willing to just let it go.

I'm glad you aren't the one making these decisions. I was in Hall of Presidents in October and it was a pretty big draw. Any audience would look small in that theatre. Find one other place that has an attraction like that, it is unique. I had no idea about the three security guards, but with the level of respect in our society none of that shocks me anymore, but so what? You say bulldoze Liberty Square and parts of Frontierland for Star Wars? I don't see the need for it in the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland had space up behind Frontierland but they still didn't rip apart Tom Sawyer Island.

Frontierland and Liberty Square help make Magic Kingdom what it is. They are specific lands meant for a very specific theme. I will admit someday the social justice warriors will manage to convince the powers to be at Disney (who will also be post-millennials by then) that stuff like the Country Bears is offensive to them or that the Liberty Boat triggers them or something but here is hoping we are all dead by the time the world has gone THAT crazy.

Besides, the most underutilized park is DHS and Star Wars is there. No need for it in Magic Kingdom to have it. Disneyland put it in just because there are only two parks and not enough space.

Heppenheimer

Horizons? Really? Even as a 7 year old who was absolutely fascinated by audio-animatronics, even I found that ride kind of "meh". I agree with the below poster, it would bring about nostalgia for a small minority of guests, and be met with total indifference by everyone else.

Heppenheimer

BTW, wasn't the Empress Lilly a character meal at one time, way back when it was the centerpiece of Lake Buena Vista? I have vague memories of eating there and being a little scared when Goofy picked me up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom