Why Doesn't the Disney Co. Own Tokyo Disneyland?

kramden88

Original Poster
I've had this burning question for a while now and I thought I would pose it to the much more knowledgeable folks here on the boards. Why is it that the Disney Company decided to license the Tokyo Disneyland parks to the Oriental Land Company? Was it because they were in tough financial straits in the early '80s? How long does this deal last and were they obligated to also license Tokyo DisneySea to OLC when it opened in 2001?

Most importantly, for those who have been there, is the experience any different because of this? Thank you :)

mikeb_86

At The time i read a while back disney did not have the money when thay started planing. If someone can find the website about this that would be great i think it was JHM!!!

nolatron

It was their idea (or money) to the build the park.

It approached The Walt Disney Company in 1980 to finance the first international Disney park. After Tokyo Disneyland was opened in 1983, the Oriental Land Company decided not to sell the park back to Disney. Walt Disney Attractions Japan pays Disney for character and likeness licenses, and Disney has leased their Imagineers to the company to design and build Tokyo Disneyland, as well as a second theme park, Tokyo DisneySea, which opened in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oriental_Land_Company

nolatron

They only own a small percentage of DLP too I beleive

Yup. Disney only only owns about 40% of it.

Disneyland Resort Paris is owned and operated by French company Euro Disney S.C.A., a public company of which 39.78 percent of its stock is held by The Walt Disney Company, 10 percent by the Saudi Prince Alwaleed and 50.22 percent by other shareholders. The senior leader at the resort is chairman and CEO Philippe Gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_paris

kramden88

Original Poster
This is very interesting. Are those parks on par with the ones in the U.S.? I know Tokyo Disneyland is supposed to be excellent but I often feel like when Disney contracts out to other companies (i.e. for attractions and restaurants in Disney World) the quality suffers.

Brommy

My view is that DLP is not quite up to the standard of WDW. There are just little things that don't have the Disney 'Magic'. The castmembers are not as happy and helpful, the resort hotels are not quite as well maintained, and due to the massively reduced scale of the site, it's all quite compacted.

EpcotServo

This is very interesting. Are those parks on par with the ones in the U.S.? I know Tokyo Disneyland is supposed to be excellent but I often feel like when Disney contracts out to other companies (i.e. for attractions and restaurants in Disney World) the quality suffers.

If you take a look around at reports, it's pretty much a fact that service, quality, and value at the Tokyo parks are MILES above those at the American parks, so get ready to get depressed if you do that research.

Fantasmic

I have been looking at photos on westcoaster of Tokyo Disney Sea, and some of the footage on the TDL website.... In all honesty? It looks like it es on WDW (and I ADORE WDW) A trip there is in my "places to visit" plan. (After Disneyland!)

DLP however, does not have the same Magic as WDW has (I have been there 3 times)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom