Why does Disney hate foreigners?

Animaniac93-98

Turning this around... Do American guests get any benefits/preferential treatment when booking Disney trips in the foreign Disney Parks?

Nope, and booking services are limited. Just try asking your travel agent to book you a room at TDR or DLP. You won't get very far. Only thing you can do is book direct through the UK (or other European) site for DLP, or the English translated sites for the Asian parks.

sophie_the_pooh

I cannot speak for @JenniferS, but I don't hold that against you at all. Well, maybe a little since my X was from Point Claire, otherwise we're OK.

Although it is quite possible that the scene that you mentioned is in IASW, I don't remember ever seeing it. That, of course, means nothing since there are a lot of things that I never notice.

Thank you, but... I was born in Pointe-Claire!!!:eek:

Polydweller

Shipping costs are not the real issue, Disney has a shipping office in Southern Ontario which ships the Mickey Mail to Canadians. They could use that office to ship Magic Bands but have chosen not to. It could happen if they wanted it to happen.

And the credit cards are another sore issue. We have Chase cards for Sears, Best Buy and Amazon among others it Canada but no Disney Chase card. Again, Disney could make it happen if they wanted to do so. And when they switched from the Magic Kingdom Club, which was a worldwide Disney card, they actually made one announcement that they would be doing that soon. But, look how many years it has been and nothing.

It's not Disney hate but Disney ambivalence to its non-American customers. These are two examples and there are others in which Disney could do something for its foreign customers but doesn't care enough about them to do anything.

Most out-of-country visitors book well in advance of the 60-day mark. I have a total of six trips to WDW this calendar year. All booked well outside the 180-day mark. So slower shipping times would be less of an issue than you might think. The cancellation window would be a risk, but given that my bookings are invariably room-only, they would have the risk regardless of shipping times. In 14 years and 40+ trips, I've never cancelled a trip once I booked rooms.

As I said in an earlier post, getting the ticket media for my F&W seminar reservations today by Express Interational overnight delivery via Fedex is a ridiculous waste of money. Use that same money to ship everything they ship now by slower means and they can ship swag within the same cost envelope. Even if they decide that that's too much of a risk, delivering some of the stuff on an AP holders' next visit could be an option. All they would need is an email notice that they should visit GR on their next visit, present the email and collect "X" as Disney's gift to them for their patronage.

It's also kinda stupid if there are regulations that say they can't ship the RFID across borders but they can give it to me when I'm there and let me take it home with me and use it on future trips. I have RFID room keys, Magic Bands and AP hard tickets that travel back and forth quite a lot.
I think the one thing that has been left out here is that Disney does not ship the MB's snail mail in the United States. While they are shipped USPS in the US they are still sent with tracking. When they ship them you get a tracking number sent to your email, which allows both you and Disney to confirm they were sent to the right address and while I am sure its easy for Disney to deactivate a MB shipped to the wrong address by shipping it with tracking they are negating a lot of problems with customers complaining of non-receipt or the potential of a MB slipping through the cracks and not being cancelled if shipped to the wrong place. So the idea that Disney doesn't need a courier such as FedEx or UPS to ship them and then can send them snail mail doesn't necessarily work because they do pay for the tracking even in the US.

DManRightHere

While I am sure shipping costs are a factor in the equation, I would have to think that there are probably some bizarre and stupid legal reasons as well. It always seems like every country has their own unique laws that seem to make global commerce an unnecessary pain.

For instance, a skill test is required to win a contest in Canada. For yogurt to be labeled "Greek Yogurt" in England, it must actually be made in Greece and there are a crap ton of media distribution laws that prevent a show in one country from being broadcast in another.

Ironically it's super easy to ship items into America. Other countries make their import laws rediculous partially because their trying to keep money in their own country.

Goofyernmost

I don't drink, but even I know Molson's kicks Coor's butt every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
That's an opinion from someone that doesn't drink. It has to be hearsay evidence which is not only not allowed in a court of law, but also was probably stated by a Canadian, eh. Besides one cannot use Coor's as a comparison. That stuff is mostly Colorado Spring water brewed by a bunch of granola eating, pot smoking, left over, 1960's flower children. It's not really beer.;) The best description would be filtered sewer water.

Last edited:

BigTxEars

But is it so unreasonable to expect a fair return on your spent dollar or even equal treatment for foreigners? I think not. Additionally I do not remember seeing anywhere that I said only Disney acts this way. However, in the family fun and entertainment business I do believe there are different standards we expect from our dollar spent than say other things. Never been to Uni so your flaming bears zero effect on me nor any applicability to my comment.

I think the "fair return" part of your statement is very true, but also very subjective as well. No way to define that for everyone IMO. When I feel Disney or anyone else pass they point of a fair return I will not do business with them anymore. It's really just that simple to me. In the case of Disney which is as far from a necessity as I can imagine that is even more true. OK maybe those huge $8000 leather massage chairs you can buy for your house are less of a necessity than Disney but you know what I mean :)

As as for folks not living here, no I don't think it's fair to think that everything would be equal. Maybe a nice concept but not realistic at all IMO. Go to eBay and look to buy from over seas and check out shipping or look at folks selling from the U.S., shipping overseas / over the border is more. So from the smallest to the largest seller shipping outside the U.S. cost more for the buyer. I think Disney could offer to allow those folks to pay the shipping cost, but then we would see threads "why do I have to pay more just because......" :)

You did not say Disney was the only company looking for more of our dollars but the tone I picked up in your post was one that implied it was something that seemed pout of line to you. My point was that it is not out of line at all. :)

This whole concept of life having to be fair all the time under all circumstances for everyone is utter crap IMO. Ot is behind a number of the problems we have today in our society. Life's not fair. Who did not learn that early on? The fact that we (i.e. most of the posters here) spend so much time on a Disney forum because we go to Disney fairly often is pretty much telling me we don't have a lot to complain about anyways :)

The flame comment was just a barb thrown out, I love me some Universal parks but they treat their guest like Disney does which is as a customer. They want to drain us of our money. Nothing different between the two in that regard IMO. You should go to Universal, they run godo parks I think you would enjoy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom