Why does Disney delay DVC referb's ?

Naplesgolfer

Original Poster
As I understand it, the money for a refurb is built up through reserves from member dues and is sitting in an escrow account by the time the work needs to be done. So why wouldn't Disney be starting the Boulder Ridge and other refurb project's on time?

JaxFLBear

Designs might have changed due to feed back based on a test room. There may be a delay in getting the necessary materials.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There may also still be a shortage of workers doing these jobs and Disney chose to prioritize other projects. Saratoga and the All Star resorts were done earlier in the pandemic. Poly, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian new DVC were also prioritized, each likely because they have more rooms.

They're now on the Contemporary garden rooms and Grand Floridian new DVC and both will be wrapped up in the next few months. Then they can move on to the next projects, and hopefully that includes Boulder Ridge.

nickys

Premium Member
There may also still be a shortage of workers doing these jobs and Disney chose to prioritize other projects. Saratoga and the All Star resorts were done earlier in the pandemic. Poly, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian new DVC were also prioritized, each likely because they have more rooms.

They're now on the Contemporary garden rooms and Grand Floridian new DVC and both will be wrapped up in the next few months. Then they can move on to the next projects, and hopefully that includes Boulder Ridge.
The thing is though the DVC refurbs are meant to be done on a 7 year cycle. The refurbs of non-DVC resorts shouldn’t impact on this. And whereas there was likely a genuine shortage of available workers, the DVC refurbs should really at least have been done on the original schedule, even if it was two years late.

I understand why it made sense to do the Poly studios with the rest of the resort. And same with the Boardwalk. But nonetheless DVC members pay dues annually, part of which goes to fund the refurbs. DVC are now sitting on that money, earning interest on it, with zero benefit to the owners.

Members at BRV have every reason to feel aggrieved by the delay. Especially since now it looks like BWV may “jump the queue” ahead of them.

Club Cooloholic

The thing is though the DVC refurbs are meant to be done on a 7 year cycle. The refurbs of non-DVC resorts shouldn’t impact on this. And whereas there was likely a genuine shortage of available workers, the DVC refurbs should really at least have been done on the original schedule, even if it was two years late.

I understand why it made sense to do the Poly studios with the rest of the resort. And same with the Boardwalk. But nonetheless DVC members pay dues annually, part of which goes to fund the refurbs. DVC are now sitting on that money, earning interest on it, with zero benefit to the owners.

Members at BRV have every reason to feel aggrieved by the delay. Especially since now it looks like BWV may “jump the queue” ahead of them.
I really am curious if there is ever any opposition to this or legal moves. I doubt it as Disney is constantly doing things like making changes to hurt resale values(such as now limiting what DVC resorts you can go to) while strengthening their own direct sales but not a peep from us. Honestly something seems fishy that if a buyer buys resale they wont get benefits, but Disney can buy those same points from the resale market and then resell them with all the benefits.

nickys

Premium Member
I really am curious if there is ever any opposition to this or legal moves. I doubt it as Disney is constantly doing things like making changes to hurt resale values(such as now limiting what DVC resorts you can go to) while strengthening their own direct sales but not a peep from us. Honestly something seems fishy that if a buyer buys resale they wont get benefits, but Disney can buy those same points from the resale market and then resell them with all the benefits.
ROFR has always existed. DVC can change the rules that are not written into the deeds.

But “Pointsgate” as it came to be known, did result in some people at least taking legal advice and asking for a meeting with DVC. And the changes were reversed…. However all that happened is that the points charts are now being changed over a number of years rather than all at once. What they tried to do was probably just about within the rules but obviously caused some disquiet. I doubt they have given up on their intention though.

Club Cooloholic

ROFR has always existed. DVC can change the rules that are not written into the deeds.

But “Pointsgate” as it came to be known, did result in some people at least taking legal advice and asking for a meeting with DVC. And the changes were reversed…. However all that happened is that the points charts are now being changed over a number of years rather than all at once. What they tried to do was probably just about within the rules but obviously caused some disquiet. I doubt they have given up on their intention though.
I know its always existed its just that the points suddenly change once they buy them back. Its just very odd, that it is legally permissible. When one buys a deeded condo or property you would think the rights of that property however it gets bought should continue to the next buyer, no matter whom they purchase from.

JaxFLBear

I know its always existed its just that the points suddenly change once they buy them back. Its just very odd, that it is legally permissible. When one buys a deeded condo or property you would think the rights of that property however it gets bought should continue to the next buyer, no matter whom they purchase from.
Your only legal right is to use of the property purchased. Any other DVC resort is accessed via an exchange program which they can modify as they see fit.

Club Cooloholic

Your only legal right is to use of the property purchased. Any other DVC resort is accessed via an exchange program which they can modify as they see fit.
So conceivably, what you are saying is Disney could say tomorrow that I can only stay at AKL because they are getting rid of the exchange program all together?

nickys

Premium Member
Pointsgate was the change to the points chart for relative “cost” of studios vs 1-beds.

What you’re talking about is ROFR. That has always existed. Resale restrictions have been in force since at least 2016.

Whether you buy from Disney or resale you still have the right to stay at your home resort. And also to trade into the other “legacy” DVC resorts at 7 months. That cannot change afaik.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The difference is when Disney exercises ROFR, those points go back into a bucket. DVC can and does change use years on those points. It isn't like when you buy a resale contract from a person.

JaxFLBear

So conceivably, what you are saying is Disney could say tomorrow that I can only stay at AKL because they are getting rid of the exchange program all together?
I don't think they could do it over night, but with proper advance notice they probably could. Honestly, I don't see them going to this route. Using your points at any DVC resort is one of the FEW perks to purchasing direct and they wont remove that.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I don't think they could do it over night, but with proper advance notice they probably could. Honestly, I don't see them going to this route.
I wouldn't think they would have limited the resorts the way they have. I think you would be nuts to buy Riviera with those restrictions. But that's me.

JaxFLBear

IMHO those two reasons don't explain a 2 year delay for Boulder Ridge with no announcement or concept art. No announcement seems to point to 2023 time frame. that is over 3 years late.
If they need to delay a refurbishment, they either set the new start date 12 months in the future or have to move people to other resorts.

Disstevefan1

The money is in Escrow and can’t be used for anything else. So Covid losses are not a escuse.
I said nothing about COVID, but since TWDC will be using COVID as an excuse for everything. OK its because of COVID.
Ironically, a shortage of contractors because of COVID could be the cause?
Right now, EVERYTHING costs more, fuel, building materials etc. so that could be the cause, like I said, because money..

striker1064

Yes, that's exactly correct. I don't have a contract handy but the language is in there. The only thing your DVC purchase guarantees is the right to a booking window for your home resort only for some period of time ahead of general booking.

People always wind up surprised at the little details that seem inconceivable but are very spelled out. For example, your AKV purchase doesn't even guarantee animals. That's definitely in the contract. It also states that you should not buy your timeshare with the expectation of the existence of a nearby theme park - if Disney World parks close, you are still on the hook for the life of the contract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom