Why do you stay off site?

Pooh'sBuddy

It works quite nice for us. We plan in advance what park, what day and avoid crowds in the parks the have morning EMH. We are at our park before rope drop and don't miss it at all. We also open and close one park a day so we get a lot done each day.

Thanks, figgy! I think I can let go of that morning EMH. We get a lot done that hour, but if you think it's negligible, then we may have to make a go of staying off site.

disney4life2008

I have done both equally. I prefer staying off site. While I love the magic (though that is decreasing at a rapid rate) - it becomes boring after one day. At my timeshare I can do the parks/magic then leave the bubble and go to world class resturants in the orlando that is not going to cost even a fraction of what disney charges. I also have a rental car so I am not limited to disney nor orlando - i can come and go as i please.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks, figgy! I think I can let go of that morning EMH. We get a lot done that hour, but if you think it's negligible, then we may have to make a go of staying off site.
We rent a house or condo, everybody gets their own bedroom and bathroom for less than a value. That and being able to eat a quick breakfast there. How do you think I can go for almost 2 weeks with 2 boys that eat like an army! LOL

Pooh'sBuddy

I have done both equally. I prefer staying off site. While I love the magic (though that is decreasing at a rapid rate) - it becomes boring after one day. At my timeshare I can do the parks/magic then leave the bubble and go to world class resturants in the orlando that is not going to cost even a fraction of what disney charges. I also have a rental car so I am not limited to disney nor orlando - i can come and go as i please.

We have flown in and leave the driving to the Mouse. If we were to ever drive, I think renting a condo/house off-site would be the way to go.

EMHs may be going away... :(

Really! I haven't kept up with WDW lately.

We rent a house or condo, everybody gets their own bedroom and bathroom for less than a value. That and being able to eat a quick breakfast there. How do you think I can go for almost 2 weeks with 2 boys that eat like an army! LOL

Extra elbow room is getting to be more enticing. Our quick, on-the-go breakfasts have consisted of Clif bars and Z bars. We may be reaching "army" status soon.

Pooh'sBuddy

In no way confirmed just a rumor. Honestly, EMHs is what entices me to stay on property - evening more so than morning. If it were to go away - then I will be done staying on property.

Oh, I understood that you're just relaying what you've heard. I won't pin you down if WDW keeps them. ;) Of all the perks, EMH is what keeps me on property, too. Although, package delivery to the main gate really helped one rainy afternoon. We rarely shop on a whim, and it was Star Wars Weekend. I digress...

Thanks for your views and opinions, y'all. :D

EvilQueen-T

Have the new changes to the fp+ system, mainly the time frame for being able to book them and the elimination of the old fp paper system, changed anyone's mind about onsite vs off?

I get it when a larger family in particular or when a family does all of Orlando not just disney stay off site but for those who are just doing disney, fly in then rent a car... with parking fees at the resorts (like hotel blvd they seem to run around $20/night) and the theme park ($15/day) plus possibly the cost of transport to/from the airport on top of loosing the ability to book fp+ early and emh do you really come out ahead compared to say a room discount for a value or moderate disney resort with the typical disney perks?

TamaraQT

EMHs may be going away... :(

I heard that too somewhere. Can't remember where, I have to poke around some forums and see. Seems I recall EMH were no longer going to be limited to on-site guests....but I am not sure about any of it. We will have to keep our eyes and ears opened for all of the new changes coming. EMH is a perk for on-site guests so I wonder if Disney is really considering it or not.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh, I understood that you're just relaying what you've heard. I won't pin you down if WDW keeps them. ;) Of all the perks, EMH is what keeps me on property, too. Although, package delivery to the main gate really helped one rainy afternoon. We rarely shop on a whim, and it was Star Wars Weekend. I digress...

Thanks for your views and opinions, y'all. :D
You can get package delivery to the front of each park even when staying off sight

Nemo14

Seems I recall EMH were no longer going to be limited to on-site guests....but I am not sure about any of it.
So doesn't that make them just "Magic Hours"?
You can get package delivery to the front of each park even when staying off sight
correct - any guest can do this.

We will continue to stay off-site and enjoy all the other "magic" that FL has to offer.

TamaraQT

Have the new changes to the fp+ system, mainly the time frame for being able to book them and the elimination of the old fp paper system, changed anyone's mind about onsite vs off?

I get it when a larger family in particular or when a family does all of Orlando not just disney stay off site but for those who are just doing disney, fly in then rent a car... with parking fees at the resorts (like hotel blvd they seem to run around $20/night) and the theme park ($15/day) plus possibly the cost of transport to/from the airport on top of loosing the ability to book fp+ early and emh do you really come out ahead compared to say a room discount for a value or moderate disney resort with the typical disney perks?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new fp+ system becoming the "norm" and will become available for both onsite and offsite guests? As far as parking fees, there are plenty of off-site properties that do not charge a parking fee per night. Of all onsite properties I have stayed I have never been charged a parking fee. The $15 a day for Disney isn't bad in my opinion. Most offsite resorts provide transportation to the parks, so even that fee is optional. We choose to pay that fee over relying on Disney transportation. Believe me, last year we timed how long it took to wait for buses, and how long it took to get to the next park/resort We decided we'd much rather pay for parking and get from point a to point b in half the time. Again, this is just us. Disney transportation works for many others. The ride to AoA from any park seemed to take forever. But that included waiting for the bus, then waiting for it to load, and then the drive. Just not for us.

Pooh'sBuddy

Ok. So, it's the having them sent back to the resort that is for on site guests. We didn't want to carry them around but have them at the end of our day. I don't think I knew they send purchases to the front for everyone. :oops:Thanks, figgy!

EvilQueen-T

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new fp+ system becoming the "norm" and will become available for both onsite and offsite guests? As far as parking fees, there are plenty of off-site properties that do not charge a parking fee per night. Of all onsite properties I have stayed I have never been charged a parking fee. The $15 a day for Disney isn't bad in my opinion. Most offsite resorts provide transportation to the parks, so even that fee is optional. We choose to pay that fee over relying on Disney transportation. Believe me, last year we timed how long it took to wait for buses, and how long it took to get to the next park/resort We decided we'd much rather pay for parking and get from point a to point b in half the time. Again, this is just us. Disney transportation works for many others. The ride to AoA from any park seemed to take forever. But that included waiting for the bus, then waiting for it to load, and then the drive. Just not for us.

the new fp+ system is going out to everyone but i'm still not clear if we can book the 60 days in advance like an on-site guest can. we've gone 3 times since magic bands and all have started but not since the paper fp's have been completely eliminated. one trip was last minute (about 5 days pre-trip) and we weren't able to get things like toy story, soarin, and one other big one but can't recall which now only that it wasn't at mk.

diney

I just wanted to respond to the original question. Why off-site? For us, money is not a factor; we just want the best possible vacation. And the off-site hotels are SOOO much nicer. Not even a comparison.

After staying at the Grand Floridian, we decided to experiment with the off-site experience and stay at the Ritz Carlton. We will probably never go back to a Disney hotel. The only advantage of the Grand Floridian was the monorail access to MK. That's it.

We pay more for an offsite hotel because the Disney hotels are just not that nice (imho). It is shocking to me that people will pay $700 night for what is essentially a 3.5 star (maybe 4) hotel. Just for monorail access? And there is no transportation advantage for any other park, other than MK.

Everything at the Ritz Carlton was better. The rooms, the food, the spa, the service, the pool (it shares a pool with the Marriott, which has an amazing lazy river). In short, if you are looking for luxury or pampering, or relaxation in addition to the parks experience -- off-site is the only way to go.

But what about convenience/proximity to the parks? If you rent a car (which we do), it is just as easy and fast to get to every park. Although the monorail hotels have an advantage on getting to the Magic Kingdom -- the advantage is quite slight. When we go to the Magic Kingdom, we get breakfast reservations at the Contemporary, so we use its parking lot for the day. And voila! Now we have monorail access to our car (although you can also easily walk to the car), bypassing the TTC.

Now that FP+ advance reservations are available for Disney resort guests, that may offer an additional advantage for Disney hotels. But I'll see how our trip next month goes using the kiosks in the park. I doubt FP+ will tempt me to stay at a far inferior hotel, in my opinion.

As a side note, the Grand Floridian is possibly the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in. Like sleep-defying noise.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I just wanted to respond to the original question. Why off-site? For us, money is not a factor; we just want the best possible vacation. And the off-site hotels are SOOO much nicer. Not even a comparison.

After staying at the Grand Floridian, we decided to experiment with the off-site experience and stay at the Ritz Carlton. We will probably never go back to a Disney hotel. The only advantage of the Grand Floridian was the monorail access to MK. That's it.

We pay more for an offsite hotel because the Disney hotels are just not that nice (imho). It is shocking to me that people will pay $700 night for what is essentially a 3.5 star (maybe 4) hotel. Just for monorail access? And there is no transportation advantage for any other park, other than MK.

Everything at the Ritz Carlton was better. The rooms, the food, the spa, the service, the pool (it shares a pool with the Marriott, which has an amazing lazy river). In short, if you are looking for luxury or pampering, or relaxation in addition to the parks experience -- off-site is the only way to go.

But what about convenience/proximity to the parks? If you rent a car (which we do), it is just as easy and fast to get to every park. Although the monorail hotels have an advantage on getting to the Magic Kingdom -- the advantage is quite slight. When we go to the Magic Kingdom, we get breakfast reservations at the Contemporary, so we use its parking lot for the day. And voila! Now we have monorail access to our car (although you can also easily walk to the car), bypassing the TTC.

Now that FP+ advance reservations are available for Disney resort guests, that may offer an additional advantage for Disney hotels. But I'll see how our trip next month goes using the kiosks in the park. I doubt FP+ will tempt me to stay at a far inferior hotel, in my opinion.

As a side note, the Grand Floridian is possibly the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in. Like sleep-defying noise.
A most magical welcome o the boards!

NiarrNDisney

Couldn't have said it better myself!
We also tend to stay in our Timeshare, rent a vehicle, cook in our huge kitchen and dine out around the Orlando area as well as the World. We prefer to have our own space so with multiple bedrooms, and being able to drive around and take trips to Cocoa Beach becomes a luxury. That and I can invite up to 9 other people to join me, relax in comfort for however long we decide to stay and only be a short 15min. away from the parks is nice.

disney4life2008

Couldn't have said it better myself!
We also tend to stay in our Timeshare, rent a vehicle, cook in our huge kitchen and dine out around the Orlando area as well as the World. We prefer to have our own space so with multiple bedrooms, and being able to drive around and take trips to Cocoa Beach becomes a luxury. That and I can invite up to 9 other people to join me, relax in comfort for however long we decide to stay and only be a short 15min. away from the parks is nice.

Well stated. I have gotten to a point where I can not stay in the parks the entire day. I like to arrive at opening then leave around noon/1pm and come back to my timeshare and hit the pools, eat lunch, sleep. then head back in the evening around 6pm. Ugh... now this is making me want to book another timeshare stay for May. Checking now.. :rolleyes: There is something about a time share that is just amazing - I have used mines in several locations across the country and its truly amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom