Why do you love WL?

meklein

Planning my big birthday trip to Disney in December. Renting DVC points to stay at a resort that would be a step up from what we have done for past trips. BLT MK view seems to be unavailable, which is what I had my heart set on (been in love with the Contemporary and Poly since I was a kid!)! :( However, there is availability for VWL. I have never been to WL but it seems to be a popular choice on here. Tell me why you love WL (other than it is cheaper than BLT! ;)) and get me excited please! Our favorite park is MK and I will be travelling with my two DDs - 5 and 12. It is my 40th bday! We LOVE the parks in December! Why does your family love WL in December (or any time?)?

zurgandfriend

The lobby of the resort itself is breath taking. The lobby of the villas is also nice but not on the scale of the resort. There are nice pools, walking trails to Ft Wilderness and a fun restaurant in Whispering Sanyon. Artist Point is the signature restaurant many people rave about it, I can take it or leave it but that is just my opinion. The resort and the villas are sort of by themself and are quiet. As there is no monorail, people not staying there have to make a little bit of effort to go to the reosrt and most do not.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While it's not my first love, I do like WL a lot. While the lobby is cool, I think it's the boat ride and the landscaping in all of the outdoor areas that I really enjoy. I just remember sitting out at Trout Pass, enjoying a beer and the scenery and feeling so relaxed.

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We were at WL this past Christmas and absolutely loved it. Its gorgeous and homey at the same time. We take the boat to MK and its always a favorite - even had a driver show is the "bear face" at the lodge if you come in after dark..:) I love DW in December - great time to go!

Upvote 0

KCheatle

There are numerous reasons we love it (and now refuse to stay anywhere else). First, it is much smaller than the hotels we stayed at before (Pop, CS and the wing at the Contemp). It is so nice to have a short walk to your room at the end of a long day. Second, the crowd level is wonderful. It just never seems full or busy. The pool is never overcrowded and there is never more than a 2-3 kid wait for my kids on the slide. We also love it becuase of the Roaring Fork and the outdoor seating by the pool. It's so nice to go down there and grab breakfast by the pool before making your way to the dock to go to MK. And, the boat to and from MK can't be beat. I much prefer it to the monorail- you don't have to walk uphill, it's not crowded (i.e., you can sit), and it takes you straight to WL instead of stopping at other hotels. There is no comparison between the boat to MK and the buses. While you still hae to take the buses to the other parks, the difference is that they are never crowded (again, you can sit) and it never seems like you hae to wait for a bus for more than 5 minutues. When we stayed at the Pop and CS, we would literally wait in excess of 20 minutes for buses sometimes just to have to stand once we got on it because by that time the lines were long and they tried to cram everyone in. And, last but certainly not least, it is so serene. After hours of craziness (kids crying, yelling, screaming, fireworks, parades, etc.) it's nice to go back to a hotel where the only noise is the waterfall. It's just so calming. We loved the Comtemp, but when you get home from the park, all you hear is screaming from Chef Mickey's and monorails passing through every 10 minutes. Its just do nice to sit out on our balcony at WL overlooking the waterfall and just have a glass of wine to calm down from the day without any chaos. And, on the rare occasion I wake up before my kids, I love to have a cup of coffee out on the balcony in the morning and watch the ducks play in the stream.

Upvote 0

meklein

Original Poster
There are numerous reasons we love it (and now refuse to stay anywhere else). First, it is much smaller than the hotels we stayed at before (Pop, CS and the wing at the Contemp). It is so nice to have a short walk to your room at the end of a long day. Second, the crowd level is wonderful. It just never seems full or busy. The pool is never overcrowded and there is never more than a 2-3 kid wait for my kids on the slide. We also love it becuase of the Roaring Fork and the outdoor seating by the pool. It's so nice to go down there and grab breakfast by the pool before making your way to the dock to go to MK. And, the boat to and from MK can't be beat. I much prefer it to the monorail- you don't have to walk uphill, it's not crowded (i.e., you can sit), and it takes you straight to WL instead of stopping at other hotels. There is no comparison between the boat to MK and the buses. While you still hae to take the buses to the other parks, the difference is that they are never crowded (again, you can sit) and it never seems like you hae to wait for a bus for more than 5 minutues. When we stayed at the Pop and CS, we would literally wait in excess of 20 minutes for buses sometimes just to have to stand once we got on it because by that time the lines were long and they tried to cram everyone in. And, last but certainly not least, it is so serene. After hours of craziness (kids crying, yelling, screaming, fireworks, parades, etc.) it's nice to go back to a hotel where the only noise is the waterfall. It's just so calming. We loved the Comtemp, but when you get home from the park, all you hear is screaming from Chef Mickey's and monorails passing through every 10 minutes. Its just do nice to sit out on our balcony at WL overlooking the waterfall and just have a glass of wine to calm down from the day without any chaos. And, on the rare occasion I wake up before my kids, I love to have a cup of coffee out on the balcony in the morning and watch the ducks play in the stream.

Wow - FANTASTIC mental image. Ok, I think I am warming up to this idea... Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

luv

There is a lot to like! Giant log cabin. Foliage (which I like much more living in Florida and didn't appreciate when it was "same as home"), towering lobby, totem poles, fireplace with rockers, the geyser (probably my favorite part of WL), the ability to walk over to Ft. Wilderness (love that walk) and it has a decent gift shop.

Roaring Forks is decent. WCC can be a lot of fun, especially with kids. If you don't expect to be singled out and can enjoy it for what it is, it doesn't disappoint.

The villas are pretty much the same as the rooms, just bigger. The only part I didn't like about villaing was the extra walking at the end of the day. You do feel more removed in the villas, but IMO, that's a good thing. :)

Upvote 0

bethymouse

The geyser.
The boat launch to MK.
The "free" marshmallow roast campfire and movie on the beach.
The pool.
The lobby.
WC Cafe! ( We Need Ketchup):D
Artist Pointe.
The wildlife/critters.
The woods.
The quiet pool w/ jet spas.
The "Welcome Home" feeling.:D
The easy access boat launch to monorail resorts and Fort Wilderness.
You just can't go wrong!
My hubby likes the inside corridors of a true "hotel" feeling.
Just beautiful!:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom