Why do they do that?

sm57co

Original Poster
Not sure where this question goes on this forum so I'll just post it here. I was wondering why the cast members tell everyone to step into the "dead" center of the stretching room and to stay away from the walls? Is there any actual point to keeping people away from the walls? I'm guessing it's because one of those door eventually opens but other than that, why do we all gather in the center of the room? I realize this is a pretty stupid question but I'm o.k. with that.

DisneyJoe

definitely psychological, it reaffirms the fact that walls are actually stretching, otherwise, why would they have asked you to keep away from them?

"dead" center plays into the theme of the mansion.

Tom

Beta Return
Because the wall slides open at the end of the pre-show. They can't have anyone leaning on that wall when it opens, for safety reasons. So, rather than saying, "Just you folks, step away from that section of wall," it's easier, and more thematic, to have everyone do it.

MagliteL13

Because the wall slides open at the end of the pre-show. They can't have anyone leaning on that wall when it opens, for safety reasons. So, rather than saying, "Just you folks, step away from that section of wall," it's easier, and more thematic, to have everyone do it.
I also believe there are sensors which prohibit the doors from opening and closing of people are too near them.

yedliW

I also believe there are sensors which prohibit the doors from opening and closing of people are too near them.

Not sure if it is part of it (too dark to see), but there is a small red LED on the wall next to the panel that slides open to the boarding room. It's too dark to see it before it opens, and when it opens, I'm always moving to the doom buggies.. :)

180º

In ToT, they keep you away from the walls in the library so the cast member can walk around the edge of the room from the first set of doors to the second set. I think the reason is the same in the stretching room.

Rob562

In ToT, they keep you away from the walls in the library so the cast member can walk around the edge of the room from the first set of doors to the second set. I think the reason is the same in the stretching room.

I've always thought the Bellhops stay by the entry doors, which is where the control panel for the room is. They keep people away from the library walls to keep people from messing with stuff.

A former bellhop friend said one time a Guest stole the bulb out of the lamp on the desk. Since it's considered required lighting, that library had to be taken out of service until Maintenance could come and replace the bulb.

-Rob

Goingdown13

If I'm not mistaken it's because the floor in disneyland moves so they dont want anyone touching the walls to avoid giving away the illusion. The tradition just carried over to WDW I imagine.

For ToT no one will really ask you to stay in the center anymore. A few here and there but it is not required of them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've always thought the Bellhops stay by the entry doors, which is where the control panel for the room is. They keep people away from the library walls to keep people from messing with stuff.

A former bellhop friend said one time a Guest stole the bulb out of the lamp on the desk. Since it's considered required lighting, that library had to be taken out of service until Maintenance could come and replace the bulb.

-Rob
Because screwing in a replacement light bulb is so hard to do.

raven

But maintenance has to do it because they keep the stock of the bulbs. It's down for all of 5 minutes tops.
FCC, the name of the engineering division of Disney that is in charge of changing bulbs, has to get a work order in for each light that is out. They also comb the parks at night looking for any burned out bulbs to replace. This is usually their sole job because there are several hundred types of bulbs they replace. Everything from a lamp post bulb to a little LED or incandescent bulb used inside of a store display counter.

MagliteL13

I never asked guests to move towards the center of the room at tower because the details among the room are so amazing. The lightbulb thing is totally accurate, but fear not there are two libraries so it doesn't really affect the boiler room that much.

Djali999

At DL it's to more evenly distribute the weight of the guests towards the center of the elevator (where the central piston is). At WDW it's to prevent people from leaning on the doors. And in both cases it's to encourage everyone to get out from underneath the ledge and better see the portraits. The original approved CM spiel was "For the best view of the portraits above, please step away from the walls towards the dead center of the room".

BTW touching the walls would in no way give away the illusion - the floor and walls up to the ledge are all one solid unit that moves down together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom