Why Disney's Animal Kingdom doesn't have chimpanzees yet?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Come to think of it, do you think any new animals will EVER come to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

no...it’s unlikely they will ever construct major new habitats...perhaps some swapping out of smaller scale draws...but nothing major.

I always thought Disney was in prime position to became the 5th US “panda zoo”...but they never pursued it.

Brer Panther

no...it’s unlikely they will ever construct major new habitats...perhaps some swapping out of smaller scale draws...but nothing major.
You think that's because of zoos not being seen in a more favorable light nowadays, because they couldn't attach an IP to an animal habitat, or because modern Disney is incredibly cheap? Or a combination of all three?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You think that's because of zoos not being seen in a more favorable light nowadays, because they couldn't attach an IP to an animal habitat, or because modern Disney is incredibly cheap? Or a combination of all three?
All of the above.

they would see more animals as simply an expense that can’t be parlayed into direct revenue also.

very different themepark philosophy from when DAK was conceived.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm curious that Disney's Animal Kingdom doesn't have chimpanzees yet. Even Six Flags Great Adventure's Safari don't have chimpanzees yet too, I expect Great Adventure to added chimpanzees along with other monkeys like gorillas in the future.
DAK already has a very difficult great ape species they have to wrangle in the park: Homo sapiens.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

I don't know for certain, but I think there's a real potential for new animals coming to WDW, just maybe not the classic mammals.

On one of our recent visits, the staff talked about invertebrates being brought to AK. There has been a significant shift in understanding in recent years when it comes to invertebrates and their role in ecosystems. For many years, the vital role of krill was overlooked, just as honeybees and other pollinators have long been overlooked. Disney would do well to add an exciting invert exhibit.

I suppose it depends how one defines 'major' new habitat, but I could very much see AK adding a really in-depth invertebrate habitat.

It also depends on any new IP Disney creates. If Pixar happened to write a movie about an adorable little freshwater shrimp, hermit crabs, or maybe they will continue the story of Wall-E from the cockroach's point of view.

I could also see AK perhaps adding a year round butterfly pavilion. They already offer one seasonally at Epcot, and they are quite popular.

I could very much see a new AK exhibit focused on climate change, and perhaps looking at animal populations that are especially impacted by climate change. For that matter, I could very much see WDW revising some exhibits in coming years for a number of reasons. Animal care is always evolving; so perhaps 'new' in the sense of replacement.

HouCuseChickie

If Disney wanted them in AK, they could have them. The Houston Zoo put in a beautiful chimpanzee area in their Africa section a little over 10 years ago. Supposedly, a number of the designers were involved with the design of AK as well. There are no cages and it looks like a more natural habitat. This video shows the indoor viewing area, but there's another outdoor viewing area on the other side.

Last edited:

drew81

They did add hyenas and wild dogs to the safari. That was the last main addition I can think of.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new exhibit added back at Conservation Station. Could be butterflies, penguins or something else as a draw.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Disney wanted them in AK, they could have them. The Houston Zoo put in a beautiful chimpanzee area in their Africa section a little over 10 years ago. Supposedly, a number of the designers were involved with the design of AK as well. There are no cages and it looks like a more natural habitat. This video shows the indoor viewing area, but there's another outdoor viewing area on the other side.

key is they “could” do it...but what’s in it for Disney,

JustAFan

aliceismad

I'm curious that Disney's Animal Kingdom doesn't have chimpanzees yet. Even Six Flags Great Adventure's Safari don't have chimpanzees yet too, I expect Great Adventure to added chimpanzees along with other monkeys like gorillas in the future.
Chimps aren't monkeys. Nor are gorillas. They are apes.

It's very difficult to simulate natural environments and conditions that properly support animals' physical and mental health. I'm sure Disney could build new experiences if they wanted, but it's essentially like building a new ride or other attraction. At this point, I would prefer them to put more money into improving other parks personally.

Also my kid and I found the Disney+ series on Animal Kingdom fascinating. I wish they'd do another season.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks for posting this. It was driving me crazy! (Not a long trip.) ;)
As seen in the chart below, the distinction between monkey and apes. The easy-to-tell difference is tails v. no-tails.

What the chart doesn't show, is that the gibbons are considered lesser apes, and the orangutans, chimpanzees, gorillas, and Olivia Rodrigos are greater apes.

1622656374772.png

aliceismad

Thanks for posting this. It was driving me crazy! (Not a long trip.) ;)
It made me feel kinda b-tchy to point it out, but I think a lot of people don't realize it. (At least it seems that way at our local zoo. It makes me sad when a kid asks what something is and the parent replies "monkey" even though there is a giant sign right there with the animal's actual species and info about it.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom