Why dislike for Iger?

Lyman

Iger, the board of directors(bod) AND the stock holders are responsible for what is happening. The stock holder wants the best return they can get. The board has to get it for them. It's called fiduciary duty. If they don't get it they can be sued by the stock holders. The little stock holder has no chance to influence things. The vast numbers of shares are held in stock funds. Of course these fund managers have a fiduciary duty to get the stock holder the best earnings they can... or get fired and/or sued.

The only way you can influence them is quit going to Disney and buying merchandise

Snake

When you went to Disney World you knew you were paying higher price for disney, but the quality is what made you come back. The quality has significantly decreased in recent years. Not just the parks, but the hotels as well.(Polynesian, Contemporary) At least that has been my experience. I really hate they keep removing attractions to build new ones (Maelstrom, Horizons, World of Motion, Living Seas, Mr Toad, Great Movie Ride, Energy before Ellen) when capacity is always going to be an issue. Just build new rides and stop demoing the old ones, just update the olds ones and build new ones. No space in the current parks? Start a new park. They could have started a new park with all the rides they've added instead of demoing old rides. You need more than 1-2 rides to call it a land, build a star wars land and not include anything from the original timeless trilogy? Toy story land feels like six flags, the bad rides at six flags. Fast Passes that make every line for the AAA rides at least 1 hour now, if not more. Is there an off season anymore?
But what really got me was the discontinuation of no expiration tickets. That just ruined it. We used to buy tickets years in advance, lock in the price and number of days we wanted an budget it that way. Then you only had to worry about hotel rooms and transportation. I always thought they would keep that option and even force Universal Studios to adopt the same option. Who knew it would go the other way?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think things were MUCH worse in the late 90's/early 2000's in the parks and other parts of the company than they are now, and that's why Eisner was ousted.

Eisner said that Iger had no artistic ideas but that he was a good businessman. I'm fine with having no artistic vision IF you hand the reigns over to people that do, like the top imagineers and give them proper budgets.

Yes, there's still a lot of issues with the parks, but I'm slowly seeing some changes, and maybe we'll get new monorails eventually too.

doctornick

I DON'T WANT ANY MORE SCREEN RIDES OR CARNIVAL TYPE CHEAP 6 FLAGS COASTERS WRAPPED IN FANCY DECORATIONS OR MORE OVER PRICED RESORTS!

Ok, just to be clear: you don't like screen rides or "cheap" coasters. And you don't want more resorts built. Okay....

AND WALT WOULD HAVE NEVER DREAMED OF CHARGING US A FEE TO PARK OUR CARS IN ONE OF HIS HOTELS WE WERE PAYING TO STAY IN ALREADY!

...or parking fees at hotels....

And I agree with what the other poster said about Spectro Magic. HOW CAN ANY ONE WHO SEES THAT SHOW EVER LIKE HAVING IT TAKEN AWAY AND FORCED TO ACCEPT THE ELECTRICAL PARADE OR LIGHT SHOW SPRINKLED ON THE CASTLE FOR THE SAME PRICE OF A TICKET INSTEAD OF IT?

Some of us greatly prefer MSEP to Spectromagic. To each their own (MK should have a light parade though, I'd agree).

And don't even get me started on what he did to Epcot. Especially with Journey Into Imagination. I wish they would have just taken it out all together rather than to have butchered it the way they did.

Imagination was destroyed under Eisner. Just sayin' The current incarnation has actually been around since all the way back in 2002, well before Iger became head of the company.

Iger the great, better remember the story of the tortes and the hare.... the tortes knew all he had to do was keep on walking and not give up and have patience because the hare was arrogant and, though fast, was also stupid.

Thats exactly what Universal Studios is thinking about Disney now. Its only a matter of time.

Keep on making Disney nothing but a handfull of fancy looking parks that contain nothing but over priced carnival rides and I'll just spend my vacations at Universal. Maybe even stay at one of their resorts. WHERE I DON'T GET CHARGED A PARKING FEE!:mad:

You do realize that Universal has been charging parking at their resorts for decades, right?

If you argument is that Universal is going to surpass WDW because Disney is doing "screen rides", "lightly themed coasters" and "charging parking fees at hotels", well you just might want to reassess your debate skills.

Last edited:

jrm477

I think in twenty years we'll look back and say that 2019 was the highpoint in the Walt Disney Company's history post-Walt. I think you have to give Bob Iger credit for that, and I think that when we see the CEOs that follow him... we'll all realize Iger was actually better than we probably could have hoped for someone to lead a public creative company in the economic and corporate realities of the 20-teens.

My hunch is we'll never again see close to this much cash invested into the parks at once. Early Eisner was willing to go out over his skis a bit and invest in the parks. He got hit on the nose once with Euro Disney though and completely bailed on that approach. I'm guessing we'll see that the CEOs that follow Iger won't have the credibility with the board, or the guts to spend this much on capital investment in the parks. Is it a reaction to a decade of stagnation, and Harry Potter? Sure. But at least there was a reaction. Previous CEOs (ex-Walt) didn't even seem to be able to do that much.

And I'm not saying I love or even like many of the creative decisions... but I'd rather have a well done attraction based on a poor premise than a poorly executed attraction based on a poor premise, which is what I expect we'll see in the post-Iger years, and largely is what we saw in the last decade of Eisner.

In terms of penny pinching, and focusing too much on the bottom line:
  • I think people forget that, in the company Iger took over, people were literally being killed at Disney parks directly due to the company cheaping out on maintenance
  • Every CEO, including Walt, left the company in a position where it could have been taken over and chopped up for parts. You don't like how the parks are operated, or what is being built, or what films are being made? Imagine if Comcast or Saul Steinberg had bought the company. We may have loved the original EPCOT Center, or the Black Cauldron, or $20 admission prices, but all of those things also created a world in which the company was in serious peril of just ceasing to exist.
I hate the idea and execution of Pixar Pier. I think putting Guardians of the Galaxy in Future World is braindead. I will not being seeing Lion King, Aladdin or any of these reheated movies.

But... I think it's a miracle things are as good as they are right now. The quality of the parks, the movies, everything arguably should be much worse than it is now, given everything that could have happened, and the fact that we're talking about a DJIA constituent company in 2019. Things aren't going back to 1984, and I'd argue we should all appreciate the Iger period from 2019 to 2021 while we have it, because I doubt things will ever be as good again.

Ladybat

Ok, just to be clear: you don't like screen rides or "cheap" coasters. And you don't want more resorts built. Okay....

You paid attention and heard me the first time. Yay you.

>..or parking fees at hotels....<<<<<doctornick

And I guess you do like paying to park your car in an already expensive hotel you are staying 8 nights in? Man, you really are a Micky Mouse fan aren't you?

>Some of us greatly prefer MSEP to Spectromagic. To each their own (MK should have a light parade though, I'd agree).<<Doctornick

Well there is no accounting for taste I guess.

>>Imagination was destroyed under Eisner. Just sayin' The current incarnation has actually been around since all the way back in 2002, well before Iger became head of the company.<<Doctornick

If you say so. You seem to be the brains in this conversation. The guy who knows it all.

>>You do realize that Universal has been charging parking at their resorts for decades, right?<<<Doctornick

Decades? No I did not know that. Sad what the world has degraded to. I have not stayed at a Universal resort so did not know. Last time we went we stayed off both properties. In 2012. Did not pay a parking fee. I guess that makes me NOT one of the elite mouse or Potter click huh? Not staying on property like you. Oh I mean I assume you did because you seem so very informed about it.

If you argument is that Universal is going to surpass WDW because Disney is doing "screen rides", "lightly themed coasters" and "charging parking fees at hotels", well you just might want to reassess your debate skills.<<<<

I was not aware that "debating skills" were required. I saw a heading where some one asked if we did not like Iger to share our reasons why. So I did.

Sorry you don't like my opinion that I was invited to give. I am no great debater that is for sure but I'll leave it with this...

No empire lasts for ever...

Walmart once thought she was the Queen of the universe. She had the biggest smuggest grin on her face she thought would last forever.

Then Amazon came along and wiped that smug grin right off her face.

Good night "doctor" its been a pleasure.

tl77

lol, :rolleyes::banghead: Ok I know folks don't like him but come on. last I checked he has not murdered folks nor moved billions of dollars of coke into the country.
he murdered the spirit of the original Imagineers parks by moving in billions of dollars of IP parks ...you see how "coke" and "IP" are equal? 'cause it's all about making money baby! woo hooo!

eliza61nyc

he murdered the spirit of the original Imagineers parks by moving in billions of dollars of IP parks ...you see how "coke" and "IP" are equal? 'cause it's all about making money baby! woo hooo!

pretty much, unfortunately that's what they bring in CEO's to do, make money. I don't know a lot of stockholders who actually want to lose money. again, the reality is, that the parks are packed and people are going. so someone, somewhere must like what's going on.

I do get the feeling though, that he's killed any "imagination"

MAGICFLOP

I never liked Iger for the moral direction of Disney.. I saw one of Disney's grand kid's was whacking Iger for 2018 getting paid 65 million 1400 times the median Disney Salary, she also said the if they paid him 10 million, every worker would have gotten a 15% raise.

Now I believe that everyone is entitled to get paid what they are worth as well as get as much as they can... A great CEO can move a company to financial stability saving the lower end jobs... But by the board deciding to pay that much to Iger shows the direction of the company.. I see the parks doing well not because of the CEO, but more of a function of the economy..

Ticket prices go into a 65 million salary in some way...

Ladybat

He cared by making sure that each guest had the best experience possible while in his park.
A simple thing like determining how far apart the trash cans need to be made a big difference in how much trash ended up on the streets and sidewalks and therefore made for a cleaner environment within his park.
He realized that by having a place where guests would want to return frequently he could keep financing bigger and better attractions and ultimately WDW.
He was no saint, but he was a consummate visionary and dreamer.
[/QUOTE]

I went to Disney Land the first time in 1962. My parents and I watching the afternoon parade. Walt himself riding on the back of a red convertible waving. I was in front of my parents no one blocking my view. He looked right dead at me and winked.

Among all my life's events that will pass before my eyes on my death bed that one will be one of the ones I'll try to hang onto for as long as my brain stays with me.

When I hear recordings of the sound of his voice memories of my parents come flooding back. I loved Walt, what he shared, his dreams his TV show, his movies and his parks. I still do so very much. Because remembering him is remembering home. My happy childhood and a world that was so very different from today.

I went to Disney land again in 67 then again in 2001 when all 3 of the mountains broke down in one afternoon and night because the park was so over loaded people were elbow to elbow literally. It was never that crowded when I went as a kid. I went to the World in 1974 then again to the world in 84 then again to the world in 93. The one in 84 and 93 was tops. EPCOT was so over the top. I will never forget those beautiful attractions that were worth waiting in line for because they were long rides! So mind blowingly beautiful! And in 93 Spectro Magic. Never seen any thing like that before nor since.

Went to the world in 2012. I was crushed to pieces when I saw EPCOT. Journey was cut nearly in half. Universe of Energy was chopped up too. And two other amazing attractions vanished replaced by mission space and test track. I hated both. The monorail passing over head was dirty and dingy. The little fountain that squirts drops back and fourth like magic was clogged up and spitting.

The magic kingdom horrible because of the work they were doing on Fantasy Land and no spectro magic.

It rained so hard the last day they actually had to close the park. I cried and cried. I blamed it on the crashed economy. It was like an apocolypse had happened or something.

Well I got another trip planned for my grand children. We are going June 8 to the 16th staying at Caribbean Beach. Got two of those pirate rooms booked for my 3 grand sons, my daughters and me because they and I their Grammy are swashbucklers.

I got all my stupid fast passes done. I hated that too but I did it. I booked all my dining. I got it all planned down to the minute.

I hope this time its worth it because I doubt I'll be up for many more of them. I'll say one thing Disney has improved on. Phone customer service. The Disney Travel Company has been the most helpful service I've ever received from Disney.

Well, sorry to be so long winded. May Tinker Bell's dust be always sprinkled upon the heads of you and yours.

Bat

disneyfireman

He cared by making sure that each guest had the best experience possible while in his park.
A simple thing like determining how far apart the trash cans need to be made a big difference in how much trash ended up on the streets and sidewalks and therefore made for a cleaner environment within his park.
He realized that by having a place where guests would want to return frequently he could keep financing bigger and better attractions and ultimately WDW.

I went to Disney Land the first time in 1962. My parents and I watching the afternoon parade. Walt himself riding on the back of a red convertible waving. I was in front of my parents no one blocking my view. He looked right dead at me and winked.

Among all my life's events that will pass before my eyes on my death bed that one will be one of the ones I'll try to hang onto for as long as my brain stays with me.

When I hear recordings of the sound of his voice memories of my parents come flooding back. I loved Walt, what he shared, his dreams his TV show, his movies and his parks. I still do so very much. Because remembering him is remembering home. My happy childhood and a world that was so very different from today.

I went to Disney land again in 67 then again in 2001 when all 3 of the mountains broke down in one afternoon and night because the park was so over loaded people were elbow to elbow literally. It was never that crowded when I went as a kid. I went to the World in 1974 then again to the world in 84 then again to the world in 93. The one in 84 and 93 was tops. EPCOT was so over the top. I will never forget those beautiful attractions that were worth waiting in line for because they were long rides! So mind blowingly beautiful! And in 93 Spectro Magic. Never seen any thing like that before nor since.

Went to the world in 2012. I was crushed to pieces when I saw EPCOT. Journey was cut nearly in half. Universe of Energy was chopped up too. And two other amazing attractions vanished replaced by mission space and test track. I hated both. The monorail passing over head was dirty and dingy. The little fountain that squirts drops back and fourth like magic was clogged up and spitting.

The magic kingdom horrible because of the work they were doing on Fantasy Land and no spectro magic.

It rained so hard the last day they actually had to close the park. I cried and cried. I blamed it on the crashed economy. It was like an apocolypse had happened or something.

Well I got another trip planned for my grand children. We are going June 8 to the 16th staying at Caribbean Beach. Got two of those pirate rooms booked for my 3 grand sons, my daughters and me because they and I their Grammy are swashbucklers.

I got all my stupid fast passes done. I hated that too but I did it. I booked all my dining. I got it all planned down to the minute.

I hope this time its worth it because I doubt I'll be up for many more of them. I'll say one thing Disney has improved on. Phone customer service. The Disney Travel Company has been the most helpful service I've ever received from Disney.

Well, sorry to be so long winded. May Tinker Bell's dust be always sprinkled upon the heads of you and yours.

Bat
[/QUOTE]
Great post...I have no ill will towards Isner. No complaints really. We love WDW DLR I feel its better than ever!

Naplesgolfer

Everything with Iger is IP. If they can not market merchandise then it doesn't get built or green lit. Gone are the days of true imagineering. It is sad to think there will never be another attraction that is not based on some IP. No Pirates, No Everest, No Haunted Mansion, etc. If you look at some of the best rides ever created they are all non-IP based. Worst part is he doesn't seem to have a sense of Disney history and what it was founded on. His comment in Barron's when comparing Star Wars to some "non-descript coaster in India" when referencing Expedition Everest just goes to show.

Also while I fully understand Disney is a corporation and in it to make money, it just seems under Iger that greed wins out. Any penny they can pinch from the customer they do. Prices increase at a historical rate. Everything is now an add-on. I remember the days when doing a dessert party or hard ticketed event was the norm on a trip. While they were add-ons they were reasonably priced. Now they are out of hand.

Everyone gives Eisner a bad rap. While things did definitely fall apart towards the end, he had the biggest positive impact on Disney since Walt. Walt Disney World is what it is today because of him. The hotels, parks, new ride additions (Splash Mountain, Everest, etc) are all his doing.

With Iger it seems it is easier just to buy some one else's idea. Why come up with your own stories when I can buy Pixar, buy Lucas Films, buy Fox, etc.
I am not for or against the use of IP in the Parks. I just want interesting well themed attractions. But Iger or no Iger when the TWD company pays 70 plus billion for Fox, the board will force the use of what they bought.

eliza61nyc

Bat
[/QUOTE]

Hey Bat, this is a bit O/T
one thing I want to suggest is do not discount the "spontaneity" don't plan it down to the minute. Some of the best memories we have are missing ADR's and discovering a CS meal. play it by ear a bit and you and the swashbucklers (absolutely love that) will find buried treasure all over the place.

have a great trip.

drizgirl

one thing I want to suggest is do not discount the "spontaneity" don't plan it down to the minute. Some of the best memories we have are missing ADR's and discovering a CS meal. play it by ear a bit and you and the swashbucklers (absolutely love that) will find buried treasure all over the place.

have a great trip.
Unfortunately if there are 6 members in her group, the "spontaneity" of missing an ADR would now cost her $60. Welcome to the new Disney.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Bat
damn bug just flew into my eye...

Ladybat

Bat

have a great trip.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks! This will be our first time seeing Pandora. Can hardly wait for that. And the first time having lunch at Be Our Guest. But as for me personally, if I had my choice, I would just stay in MK. And ride the pirate and haunted mansion rides over and over again. :joyfull:

Ladybat

Unfortunately if there are 6 members in her group, the "spontaneity" of missing an ADR would now cost her $60. Welcome to the new Disney.
Exactly. Its come down to every minute of this expensive trip has to be accounted for or I loose big time. My youngest daughter lives in Florida so she and her twin boys can go more often than my husband, me, daughter and grandson, who live here in California. Air fare added to the cost of this trip was ghastly! And we loose a whole day because of flying. No flights into Orlando earlier than 10 PM. Unless I wanted to fly the night before and we sleep on the plane which I sure did not want to do. So by the time Magical Express gets us to the CB resort its going to be around midnight. I pay for a whole day's room booking that I don't even use till after 12 midnight. But at least my Florida daughter and grand kids will arrive early in the day and enjoy the pirate pool at CB and have loads of fun till we get there just in time to go to sleep. This is why I was so angry when I found out CB is going to charge us 19 bucks a night for my Florida daughter to park her car at CB.

I'll tell you what I did, I called Disney Travel and talked to them so sweet and sad explaining that even though it said in my confirmation email that there would be a parking fee I did not see it (a poster in here told me about it) and never had I ever had to pay it before and now that I know I have to I won't be able to afford dining reservations at BOG (also had bookings at Tusker House in AK, and Garden Grill in Epcot, and Mama Melrose in HS) or get the memory maker that I was planning to add. I asked is there any thing they could do for me to help me out. Now that I'm an old lady I am not to proud to barter. I used to be shy about that. But shyness and vanity left me years ago and I finally had to start relying on my brains. (grin) That, and my husband comes from a country that bartering is not only a way of life but its down right shameful if you don't at least try and watching him all these years get the best deals at car dealerships taught me a few things. I always felt so sorry for those poor car sales people when they had to deal with him. He is relentless. But it always paid off.

I GOT MEMORY MAKER FOR FREE! Yayee. I was so proud of myself for that. Its worth more than what the price of the parking fee is going to be. Any way, I thought that was so very nice of them for doing that. They said if they had it in their power they would wave the parking fee but only the resort can do that they can't. But they had the power to treat me to memory maker which suited me fine. I don't feel so cheated now. And between you and me.... I planned on booking BOG any way even if my bartering plan had not worked. But I still had to try.

It pays to spend time chatting with the Cast Members of the Travel Company. They bend over backwards and really try their best get you some deals. And I learned all sorts of things from them that would help me on this trip. And you can call them as often and as many times you want and ask any question no matter how silly you want. They encourage you to. I've had many long chats with them this whole past year. In the past years I've gone to WDW it was never like that with Disney employees over the phone. They were never that helpful or encouraging to me. I always had to drag information out of them. Not like that any more. A great improvement in that department.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom