Why dislike for Iger?

UncleMike101

But with that being said, Disney wasn't the world renowned place receiving millions of visitors back then. Is greed part of the reason the prices are so high? Perhaps. But remember the laws of supply and demand.
Tell you what............
Google "Opening day at Disneyland" (If you know who Art Linkletter was you'll realize what a big deal it was to get him to MC the show)
Disneyland was the most anticipated theme park opening EVER.
And with the decent prices the place was packed from opening day on.
The same with WDW in 1971.
And the WDW admission/ride prices in 1971 were aimed at the average person just like Disneyland was in 1955.
The big push to charge the hell out of the guests started after the attempted takeover by the Reliance Group in 1984 when the three guys who'd been running Disney since Roy died in 1971 Donn Tatum, Card Walker, and Ron Miller (Walts son in law) who had been trained by Walt and Roy, had to hock the farm to pay off a shareholder lawsuit over the handling of the takeover bid.
When the dust settled a new group (No Disney relatives or trainees included) took over after retaining enough of the stock to determine who the CEO would be.
Mike Eisner.............
From that point on the cash grab erupted.
The parks have since then been run by bean counters instead of visionaries like Walt and his immediate successors.
Before Eisner, Average Joe and family could still spend several days, or even a week, at WDW without damaging the budget beyond repair.
Now it's no surprise to me that so many people who visit WDW are stressed out and demanding since many of them are borrowing heavily to give their family the Disney experience.
WDW is no longer a vacation destination for the average family unless they can scrimp and save, or go into credit card Hell, to make a trip there.

justintheharris

Google "Opening day at Disneyland" (If you know who Art Linkletter was you'll realize what a big deal it was to get him to MC the show)
And the WDW admission/ride prices in 1971 were aimed at the average person just like Disneyland was in 1955.
The big push to charge the hell out of the guests started after the attempted takeover by the Reliance Group in 1984 when the three guys who'd been running Disney since Roy died in 1971 Donn Tatum, Card Walker, and Ron Miller (Walts son in law) who had been trained by Walt and Roy, had to hock the farm to pay off a shareholder lawsuit over the handling of the takeover bid.
When the dust settled a new group (No Disney relatives or trainees included) took over after retaining enough of the stock to determine who the CEO would be.
Mike Eisner.............
The parks have since then been run by bean counters instead of visionaries like Walt and his immediate successors.
Before Eisner, Average Joe and family could still spend several days, or even a week, at WDW without damaging the budget beyond repair.
Now it's no surprise to me that so many people who visit WDW are stressed out and demanding since many of them are borrowing heavily to give their family the Disney experience.
WDW is no longer a vacation destination for the average family unless they can scrimp and save, or go into credit card Hell, to make a trip there.
I think the final point I'm trying to get to is imagine if Disney World had 20$ admission. Could you imagine how crowded it would be?

eliza61nyc

Mike Eisner.............

Then who is going?? I keep asking this question and no one seems to be able to answer. ok so I'm doing a quick google search and in 2016 it said over 19 million folks visited MK. Let's divide that by four if we assume that they counted little ones and babies. that's about 5 million folks.

Everyone here claims the parks are too packed, well if Disney is no longer being visited by "average" families, who's packing the parks.

Now not sure about the last sentence, pretty much that's how my family goes on vacation every year. We save. we open up an account and save money. We budget, some years the budget is healthier, some years stuff happens and it's leaner. Every one I know is a "regular, average family"
I don't know anyone who can just roll out of bed and go on any big vacation. I go to Europe, I save. I go on a cruise, we save.

MinnieWaffles

Mike Eisner.............

How many people did you know that went to WDW back in the 1970s? My mum got to go in 1974, but that was a one off.

jimbaker84

I wouldn't say that i have a strong dislike for the guy, but the fact that ticket and hotel prices have gone through the roof since he became CEO wouldn't have made him overly likable to park guests.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disneyland most definitely does not have a clear direction...

Iger has been ruining the DLR experience for the past few years, and the disgusting juggernaut that is SWL will be the nasty cherry on top come May. None of the recently new additions to WDW warrant me to purchase flight and park tickets anytime soon.

If anything, I can thank Iger for opening my mind to using my money elsewhere. I’m going to a few places this year and will continue to add more destinations in the future.

I don’t want to go off the diving board here...

But I’ll say this: no CEO can be effective to conglomerate level after 15 years. They lose their fastball and need to be replaced. Especially in a company built needing”creativity”

As far “lack of direction”...they just announced a beauty and the beast themed bar at the G-Flo...

It would take all day to count how many ways that’s wrong.

Good thing Roy is dead...he’d launch another revolt

UncleMike101

Then who is going?? I keep asking this question and no one seems to be able to answer. ok so I'm doing a quick google search and in 2016 it said over 19 million folks visited MK. Let's divide that by four if we assume that they counted little ones and babies. that's about 5 million folks.

Everyone here claims the parks are too packed, well if Disney is no longer being visited by "average" families, who's packing the parks.

Now not sure about the last sentence, pretty much that's how my family goes on vacation every year. We save. we open up an account and save money. We budget, some years the budget is healthier, some years stuff happens and it's leaner. Every one I know is a "regular, average family"
I don't know anyone who can just roll out of bed and go on any big vacation. I go to Europe, I save. I go on a cruise, we save.
Your last sentence explains why you've taken your position.
I'm acquainted with a large number of people and almost none of them can afford to go to Europe or on a cruise.
You're assuming that most of the country makes as much money as you do.
They don't.
For almost everyone in middle America a WDW vacation is a huge financial investment and they aren't able to set aside their egg money for an expensive vacation so they rely on credit cards.
Which puts them even farther in the hole.
Those same people could afford a Disney vacation before the greedos took over because the largest expense back then was the drive to Florida.
With gas at $.30 per gallon.

How many people did you know that went to WDW back in the 1970s? My mum got to go in 1974, but that was a one off.
Well.........
Hundreds.
Actually, maybe thousands.
I haven't taken an accurate poll.
But at least hundreds.
Because this is the Colonies, we don't have to fly across the Atlantic, and WDW wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is today.
As I said, before the greedos took over WDW was an affordable vacation for millions of Americans.
My Wife and I didn't go in 1971 because we were somewhat busy raising our children.

UncleMike101

You understand that Walt Disney might be the most influential person in entertainment history, right? You can't just hop onto ZipRecruiter and post a Help Wanted ad for "Once-in-a-Century Creative Genius."
Correct.....
And you also don't have to put people in charge who's only wish is to build their golden parachute by raping the parks.
Todays Disney leaders don't give a rats butt for the people who visit those parks.
Except to extract the contents of their wallets.
Walt Disney actually cared for the people who visited his parks.
And that is the huge difference.
The Disney top dogs today didn't put all of the effort, time, and sweat into creating the parks like Walt did.
They merely scrape the money from all of that effort into their pockets.

CaptainAmerica

Correct.....
And you also don't have to put people in charge who's only wish is to build their golden parachute by raping the parks.
Todays Disney leaders don't give a rats butt for the people who visit those parks.
The Disney top dogs today didn't put all of the effort, time, and sweat into creating the parks like Walt did.
Let me tell you a secret...

Come here...

No, closer...

Walt wanted all of your money, too. His greatest marketing trick is convincing you that he didn't. He didn't build Disneyland because he was a sooper kewl dewd, he built Disneyland because he knew families would pay to visit it. "There should be something built, some kid of an amusement enterprise built where the parents and the children could have fun together."

eliza61nyc

Your last sentence explains why you've taken your position.
I'm acquainted with a large number of people and almost none of them can afford to go to Europe or on a cruise.
You're assuming that most of the country makes as much money as you do.
They don't.
For almost everyone in middle America a WDW vacation is a huge financial investment and they aren't able to set aside their egg money for an expensive vacation so they rely on credit cards.
Which puts them even farther in the hole.
Those same people could afford a Disney vacation before the greedos took over because the largest expense back then was the drive to Florida.
With gas at $.30 per gallon.

Well.........
Hundreds.
Actually, maybe thousands.
I haven't taken an accurate poll.
But at least hundreds.
Because this is the Colonies, we don't have to fly across the Atlantic, and WDW wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is today.
As I said, before the greedos took over WDW was an affordable vacation for millions of Americans.
My Wife and I didn't go in 1971 because we were somewhat busy raising our children.

Hey Mike,

I actually meant that as a more general statement. More like "when people go to Europe". Now I do think I'm firmly middle class, salary doesn't really tell the entire story. Salaries in the North east tend to be higher mainly because the cost of living is ridiculously higher.

I think my point is, that for most people vacations at all are huge financial investments. Yes I'm going to Greece this year, you know how long I've been saving for this trip for 5, count 'em five years? 5 years of over time, bringing my own lunch to work etc etc. Just like normal working adults. I totally admit that the dvc makes the trips less costly but again, we did not roll out of bed and say "hey let's purchase a dvc". we saved.

Also folks financial picture tend to have highs and lows. I'm probably a bit older than you, when my kids were very young and I was a stay at home mom, no we were not going on week long vacations. lol a vacation for us was pretty much going to the Jersey shore for a day trip. I've said before, we've cancelled trips very recently because real life kicked us in the teeth. can someone say "new roof".

Now I don't know anyone who charges their vacations, as in going into debt but I do know WDW has ALWAYS been expensive. My dad was a NYC police officer and my mother was an attorney. We could only afford 1 trip and we drove and combined it with seeing relatives in the south. why? because they were firmly middle class with kids.

My kids are recent college grads, they have the same stuff as other college grads. student loans and first apartment bills. Nope they aren't going to the world unless it's a trip I help them with but hopefully we've instilled in them the belief that you save for a goal.

Sorry I disagree with this perception that everybody in the 70's was able to afford a Disney vacation. People do the same thing they do now as they did in the 70's. They save. It's called priorities.

edited to add. I don't know the history of wdw and it's prices, so I'm going on a very limited experience.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Let me tell you a secret...

Come here...

No, closer...

Walt wanted all of your money, too. His greatest marketing trick is convincing you that he didn't. He didn't build Disneyland because he was a sooper kewl dewd, he built Disneyland because he knew families would pay to visit it. "There should be something built, some kid of an amusement enterprise built where the parents and the children could have fun together."

lol, I really think people believe Walt was Mother Theresa in drag. guess what, if you didn't have the money, you sure as heck did not get in free.

How did Walt "care" about his guest? did he give out free passes? was the food free? because when we went we sure as heck could not afford to stay onsite. lol even though there was only 2, we couldn't stay at either one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As I said earlier, imagine if WDW had 20$ admission per person.

Well there is a middle ground between “mob scene/third world airport” and “nueva yuppie dbag incubator”....

This philosophy is “push it”...then they tell you it’s for you’re luxury and comfort...I’m waiting for the stop of timeshare construction and a cap on tickets sales to provide any support of that claim.

Or the other way...try to price it “upper middle” to generate repeats and still have increasing crowds. Not “cheap”...affordable. You sell more high profit product that way too.

Option 2 - Eisner and the Disney’s before - isn’t really important right now in a steroid economy. But if that slows we will see a good old fashioned recession...it will be interesting to see if that is needed once again.

Stay tuned

World_Showcase_Lover007

He is a corporate hired-gun, meaning he will simpl do whatever it takes to increase the bottom line profit.

He cares not about the integrity, history or future of the Disney Co., nor does he care about the everyday park-goer/viewer.

If they crunched the numbers and realized they could somehow make more money by bulldozing the Magic Kingdom and turning it into a parking lot, Iger would do it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct.....

Walt Disney was the most important from a charisma perspective

But from an operations and longterm investment standpoint his brother, nephew, and a lot of the department and unit heads they kept for decades are what makes the PARKS what they are today.

Eisner gets little credit...he should get more

Iger gets a lot of credit...it’s probably a little too much/little depending on the situations

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He is a corporate hired-gun, meaning he will simpl do whatever it takes to increase the bottom line profit.

He cares not about the integrity, history or future of the Disney Co., nor does he care about the everyday park-goer/viewer.

If they crunched the numbers and realized they could somehow make more money by bulldozing the Magic Kingdom and turning it into a parking lot, Iger would do it.

I’m gonna defend Iger a little here...

He was a cheap suit that ran a bad abc and was “inherited” by Disney...laying low as a “capable” corporate manager.

He’s actually exceeded his glass ceiling in many ways. He’s better than he SHOULD be based on pedigree...

But that doesn’t mean it’s not time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom