Why dislike for Iger?

Adam Snider

Original Poster
He let the parks stagnate for over 10 years.

He's an acquisition man, and he doesn't care about/understand the parks. As a money man, Iger should know how much the parks contribute to the bottom line.
That’s true, I did not start going til 2012 so didn’t have much background. Thanks

Magenta Panther

Is there a reason people do not like Iger? What specifically did he do that made him not liked by Disney fans?

Wow, where do I begin...?

I despise him because he's not just the flip side of Walt, he's in a despicable class of his own.

For instance, according to reliable insiders here, he tried to sell the Disney parks to a foreign country. Walt would deck him for that alone. The parks were Walt's pride and joy. To Iger they're a nuisance he'd rather not deal with.

His disdain for the parks is further illustrated by the fact that he's let a broken AA - the yeti figure in Expedition Everest - stay broken for literally years because he figures that park guests are too stupid to notice and dealing with it would cost money. Instead of fixing it, he put a strobe light on it. Because that's how contemptuous he is regarding quality and park guests, whom he sees as stooges and hicks who must be squeezed for every dime they have, usually via ridiculous "upcharge" events that involve such "pluses" as commemorative cupcakes.

Speaking of foreign influence, the brilliance and magic of overseas parks such as Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea prove what a Disney park can really be like when its designers and builders are willing to spend the money. Whereas in the States, budget cuts are applied to just about every new attraction, and new builds are frequently subpar in quality - look at the mess the new Toy Story Land is in Florida, with peeling paint all over the place. Iger won't spend the money to enhance the parks the way they should be, because he'd rather spend the money buying up every studio in Hollywood that has some sort of decent profitability, because risk and innovation are words Iger hates. It's all about the stockholders - people Walt had little interest in if they threatened to curtail his creativity. Iger, in contrast, has no idea what creativity is, except that it costs a lot and therefore he despises it. And he's stupid too. He built a whole land in Florida's AK revolving around the snoozefest Avatar films because that was his solution to the Potter lands in Universal. He has no taste or appreciation for the Disney legacy. He cares about the Disney "brand" (a description that Roy Disney Jr. despised - "Disney is not a brand!") in that it can be leveraged for profit across "platforms". A man that crass should be head of Wal-mart, not the (Walt) Disney Company.

PLUS he was going to destroy the flawless Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in WDW to stick idiot Marvel characters in it. That destruction was necessary because he bought Marvel and by God the characters were going to be injected like a virus into the parks come hell or high water. Thank god public outcry saved the Tower in Florida. Too bad about the loud hideous eyesore in Anaheim, which is a brazen and all-too-accurate visual testament to Iger's lack of taste and class. A fitting monument to a man who turned the caricature of the Disney company being an evil greedy corporate empire into a reality. Nice work, Bob!

I can't wait for that soulless cement-head to be shown the door. The only downside of that is that the toadies that will remain will likely pick someone worse. I think the Walt part of the Disney company is truly dead now. And I weep because everything Walt worked for has been discarded in favor of quick and easy profit. Iger sold the company's soul to enrich himself. And he's destroying the company's legacy not only of quality, but of values, demonstrated by his rehire of a man posing as a pedophile on Twitter (funny how Iger was disparaging Twitter the other day - how awful that those pesky Tweets from James Gunn came to light, eh?) despite what that did to Disney's legacy of family values and entertainment. He is a lowlife scumbag. I wish that every fate that happened to Disney villains would befall him. Because to me, he's a Disney villain in real life. And that's my take.

NateD1226

I despise him because he's not just the flip side of Walt, he's in a despicable class of his own.

For instance, according to reliable insiders here, he tried to sell the Disney parks to a foreign country. Walt would deck him for that alone. The parks were Walt's pride and joy. To Iger they're a nuisance he'd rather not deal with.

His disdain for the parks is further illustrated by the fact that he's let a broken AA - the yeti figure in Expedition Everest - stay broken for literally years because he figures that park guests are too stupid to notice and dealing with it would cost money. Instead of fixing it, he put a strobe light on it. Because that's how contemptuous he is regarding quality and park guests, whom he sees as stooges and hicks who must be squeezed for every dime they have, usually via ridiculous "upcharge" events that involve such "pluses" as commemorative cupcakes.

Speaking of foreign influence, the brilliance and magic of overseas parks such as Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea prove what a Disney park can really be like when its designers and builders are willing to spend the money. Whereas in the States, budget cuts are applied to just about every new attraction, and new builds are frequently subpar in quality - look at the mess the new Toy Story Land is in Florida, with peeling paint all over the place. Iger won't spend the money to enhance the parks the way they should be, because he'd rather spend the money buying up every studio in Hollywood that has some sort of decent profitability, because risk and innovation are words Iger hates. It's all about the stockholders - people Walt had little interest in if they threatened to curtail his creativity. Iger, in contrast, has no idea what creativity is, except that it costs a lot and therefore he despises it. And he's stupid too. He built a whole land in Florida's AK revolving around the snoozefest Avatar films because that was his solution to the Potter lands in Universal. He has no taste or appreciation for the Disney legacy. He cares about the Disney "brand" (a description that Roy Disney Jr. despised - "Disney is not a brand!") in that it can be leveraged for profit across "platforms". A man that crass should be head of Wal-mart, not the (Walt) Disney Company.

PLUS he was going to destroy the flawless Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in WDW to stick idiot Marvel characters in it. That destruction was necessary because he bought Marvel and by God the characters were going to be injected like a virus into the parks come hell or high water. Thank god public outcry saved the Tower in Florida. Too bad about the loud hideous eyesore in Anaheim, which is a brazen and all-too-accurate visual testament to Iger's lack of taste and class. A fitting monument to a man who turned the caricature of the Disney company being an evil greedy corporate empire into a reality. Nice work, Bob!

I can't wait for that soulless cement-head to be shown the door. The only downside of that is that the toadies that will remain will likely pick someone worse. I think the Walt part of the Disney company is truly dead now. And I weep because everything Walt worked for has been discarded in favor of quick and easy profit. Iger sold the company's soul to enrich himself. And he's destroying the company's legacy not only of quality, but of values, demonstrated by his rehire of a man posing as a pedophile on Twitter (funny how Iger was disparaging Twitter the other day - how awful that those pesky Tweets from James Gunn came to light, eh?) despite what that did to Disney's legacy of family values and entertainment. He is a lowlife scumbag. I wish that every fate that happened to Disney villains would befall him. Because to me, he's a Disney villain in real life. And that's my take.
This has to be the best post ever made on these forums.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

eliza61nyc

Lol soooo, tell us how you really feel.

epcotisbest

Sonconato

That was an absolutely fantastic and wildly accurate post. Thank you.

Cmdr_Crimson

• Making unessesary live action versions of Animated classics..
  • Bringing back Oswald to Disney....only to throw him in the vault, remove him from M&G's but, still sell merchandise.
  • Revive The Muppets with two movies and a show....Only for it to fall flat and Remove DCA's version, make a pizza parlor around Rizzo only for it to become seasonal and removing all the unique theming around Muppet plaza and renaming it to Grand Ave..
  • Litteral suckeling of Marvel and Star Wars to the point that it's tiresome.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

That’s true, I did not start going til 2012 so didn’t have much background. Thanks
Look at some old YouTube videos from the 80’s to the late 90’s, you will be floored on what the parks used to be like. Allot of great non franchise attractions to, especially at Epcot. Also take a good look at Spectromagic and tell me bringing in the Electrical Parade wasn’t a downgrade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom