Why Did You Sell?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
We have lots of threads where people ask for reasons to buy into DVC and advice about it. I do have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week. I haven't been in love with what Disney has done with the parks, rethemeing or tearing down attractions instead of building new ones by expanding parks or even building a new gate. I worry a little about the future of Disney parks vs some of their competition, and I am still at the point where my initial investment in DVC from 8 years ago or so could be recouped on the resale market (I bought resale), so some of it makes sense financially too. So I am going to see how this trip goes.

My question for other forum members is why did you sell? What factors lead you to do it. I imagine a wide range of reasons and we are not all at the same place because some bought years ago and stand to probably even profit from a sale. Also any things learned from the selling process would be great to hear as well.

Those that did seriously consider selling and didn't feel free to say what lead you to ultimately hold on.

Last edited:

_CJ

I’m holding on by a thread. Half the family is indifferent or campaigning to sell, the other half holding on with white knuckles, because it is the way we all get together yearly. Last year it was at Vero Beach.

Phonedave

Time will tell for us.

Kid #1 - Has her own condo, has all the expenses associated with that.
Kid #2 - Shares a house with her boyfriend, has all the expenses associated with that.
Kid #3 - Just started college (800+ miles away), has all of the schedule issues associated with that.

Kid #1 has been paying her own freight for vacations (aside from the DVC room) for a while
Kid #2 is going to start quite soon
Kid #3 has a way to go.

My wife and I used to go to F&W by ourselves, but we stopped ever since COVID and the removal of the seminars.

We also used to do every other year all family vacations to WDW

We wonder how long our whole family vacations to WDW are going to keep going.

The appeal of the parks in and of themselves has waned for us, for a variety of reasons (price, quality, crowds, planning requirements, money grabbing, etc.).

We actually started looking at other "vacation clubs" but did not pull the trigger on those.

Our contracts (210 total at SSR) are paid for, so its just the dues right now, but the idea of recouping our capital investment is appealing.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Time will tell for us.

Kid #1 - Has her own condo, has all the expenses associated with that.
Kid #2 - Shares a house with her boyfriend, has all the expenses associated with that.
Kid #3 - Just started college (800+ miles away), has all of the schedule issues associated with that.

Kid #1 has been paying her own freight for vacations (aside from the DVC room) for a while
Kid #2 is going to start quite soon
Kid #3 has a way to go.

My wife and I used to go to F&W by ourselves, but we stopped ever since COVID and the removal of the seminars.

We also used to do every other year all family vacations to WDW

We wonder how long our whole family vacations to WDW are going to keep going.

The appeal of the parks in and of themselves has waned for us, for a variety of reasons (price, quality, crowds, planning requirements, money grabbing, etc.).

We actually started looking at other "vacation clubs" but did not pull the trigger on those.

Our contracts (210 total at SSR) are paid for, so its just the dues right now, but the idea of recouping our capital investment is appealing.
Mine are a bit younger, and I bought always thinking way ahead, like taking grandkids etc. I have the same issues as you do with park visits, it's just not as fun to go when the planning is so intense as well as nickel and diming. I don't mind paying a high price for a good experience, but not sure it's delivered as much as it used it.

Phonedave

Mine are a bit younger, and I bought always thinking way ahead, like taking grandkids etc. I have the same issues as you do with park visits, it's just not as fun to go when the planning is so intense as well as nickel and diming. I don't mind paying a high price for a good experience, but not sure it's delivered as much as it used it.

I have said this a number of times on these forums. Years ago, when I had less disposable income, I enjoyed WDW a LOT more. It was a bigger chunk of my budget, but I felt it was worth it. There was value there. Now, I can well afford a trip to WDW, but I tend to now look at it as not worth the money.

We are looking at keep it for a number of non-WDW reasons. Orlando vacation even though we are staying at DVC, and the non-WDW properties. We enjoy Hilton Head (never stayed at the DVC property there, but we have been there) and Hawaii is also on the list of things to do.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I have said this a number of times on these forums. Years ago, when I had less disposable income, I enjoyed WDW a LOT more. It was a bigger chunk of my budget, but I felt it was worth it. There was value there. Now, I can well afford a trip to WDW, but I tend to now look at it as not worth the money.

We are looking at keep it for a number of non-WDW reasons. Orlando vacation even though we are staying at DVC, and the non-WDW properties. We enjoy Hilton Head (never stayed at the DVC property there, but we have been there) and Hawaii is also on the list of things to do.
If you haven't done Vero Beach I highly recommend it. Having grown up on Jersey Shore beaches and a lot of trips to Miami, Vero is such a nice quiet beach area. No high rises, lots of nature and just relaxing, and the Disney property there is perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom