Why did they change Mission:Space?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So, why did they change this? I know this is an old topic, but listening to the ride thru of the original one with Gary Sinise, it was great. I haven't been on the updated one since they changed it. Was an improvement needed?
If you are referring to the less stressful version option then it was needed to offer those an opportunity who could not experience the g-force involved.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
If you are referring to the less stressful version option then it was needed to offer those an opportunity who could not experience the g-force involved.
Ah, I knew that one was added, green side right? But why change the story and take out Gary? It is no longer a Mission to Mars ride, correct?

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
They now have the Mars Version (orange) and the Earth Version (green) which are two different ride-throughs. Green is a brand new version which brings guests around the Earth. I can assume they did this was because there isn't as much interest in Mission: Space as there use to be. It was a cheap and easy way to attract people back to the ride by offering two different versions of the attraction. Just my opinion though.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
They now have the Mars Version (orange) and the Earth Version (green) which are two different ride-throughs. Green is a brand new version which brings guests around the Earth. I can assume they did this was because there isn't as much interest in Mission: Space as there use to be. It was a cheap and easy way to attract people back to the ride by offering two different versions of the attraction. Just my opinion though.
Does the Mars sequence still have the original story line with Sinise or has that been altered as well?

Epcot_Imagineer

Yeah, that.
Glad I could clarify! Sadly I do not know the answer.

My best guess is that Disney could not get Gary to re-record his part for Mission Green. To keep continuity, they likely deemed it necessary to replace Gary in pre-show elements and narration for both versions of the attraction despite Orange remaining untouched from a ride experience standpoint.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster

My best guess is that Disney could not get Gary to re-record his part for Mission Green. To keep continuity, they likely deemed it necessary to replace Gary in pre-show elements and narration for both versions of the attraction despite Orange remaining untouched from a ride experience standpoint.
Same story line, all of Sinise's lines have been dubbed over by the new narrator.
Ah, yeah. That makes sense. I miss Gary. :/

Epcot_Imagineer

Uh well two people died so they made it less intense and with an option to ride without G-forces
I think OP was talking about why there is a new version of Mission: Green and a new narrator for Mission: Orange. But you are correct that due to a wide variety of reasons, including those incidents, two of the 4 centrifuges were converted into a non-spinning version of the ride.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I think OP was talking about why there is a new version of Mission: Green and a new narrator for Mission: Orange. But you are correct that due to a wide variety of reasons, including those incidents, two of the 4 centrifuges were converted into a non-spinning version of the ride.
Don't they really use something similar in astronaut training with the centrifuges?

Mjt5126

When I rode it in 2017, Sinise was still the narrator and they had the green at that point. It was changed when I was there in October 2018. I am pretty sure it changed when they did a Reno in b/t that time period

Cmdr_Crimson

No, it is the same. Stories of the attraction having to be toned down go back to the early days of the attraction and often exaggerate its intensity.
gary-sinise.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom