Why are some people snobby and poke fun at people who vacation at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

I'll make a statement for those of us that are older and have been to places around the world, taken in the culture and so on... I strictly go to Disney now, because stateside, there is no other place where there are hours and hours of what seems like endless entertainment without much walking, by comparison.

Travel is hard, even on a paid tour. You have to wander all over the place, stay strictly within the time limits allowed and see what they want you to see. It really is a completely different experience from a Disney park regardless of the name. If you go to Europe, like I did a few years ago, it is really hard work and a relatively safe adventure. We went without any tour guides. We found our own accommodations, decided and pre-ticketed what we wanted to see ahead of time, and even bought European train passes ahead of time. We took planes, trains and buses (no automobiles). We went on what I currently call, jokingly, our European death march. We took chances on pre-renting apartments in Paris and Rome and made reservations in a small family owned Hotel in Venice. In the cities we took the subways wherever we could and the only near problem I personally had was on a very crowded subway during rush hour in Rome. I was pressed up against the door of the train by literally hoards of people, and just before we got off, a lady standing next to me tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the ground behind me. Low and behold there was my wallet with all my credit cards and a small amount of cash laying there. Apparently, someone had tried to pick my pocket, but, were not of Danial Ocean's ability. There wasn't enough room for anyone to bend down and pick it up at the time, so they just left it. Close but no cigar. Other then that one, almost problem, everything went well from that point on.

My point of all that above gibberish was to point out that it was a lot of work especially when I had to drag two suitcases almost a mile along a cobblestone street in Paris from the bus stop to our apartment. But, we survived and it just made for an adventure. I won't lie, the last two weeks of our month long trip was on a relocation Trans-Atlantic cruise with a number of stops to places along the Mediterranean, everything except the shore excursions were in one spot. The ship! That was nice and also representative about why Disney one stop shopping is so popular. Packing and moving every few days, is quite exhausting.

That explains why "Traveled" people could eventually like Disney more than the real thing. But, those that have traveled for the adventure and exposure to new things, it is just because we are spent and really do prefer a one size fits all experience. Those that haven't really are just not interested in world travel and enjoy the local experience of Disney. Those that have never tried Disney, really have no reason to feel superior. If only they knew what fun they have been missing. I like to think that I am a prime example confirming that one can really enjoy both of the experiences.

Disney.Mike

I somehow missed this earlier and wish to God I’d remained none the wiser. Proof if it were needed that even fans of a progressive brand like Disney are capable of saying despicably racist thing.

https://www.nola.com/health/2017/10/std_health_louisiana_rankings.html

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/facts-a...cent-reproductive-health/louisiana/index.html

So Louisiana ranks number #2 in the country for pretty much every STD and has a teenage pregnancy rate 50% higher than the national average. This is fueled almost entirely by a certain group of people.

But yeah... I'm the problem for not wanting to be inundated with that "culture"

Janir

Why do they make fun of us? These are the same people or type of people that make fun of me for watching FOX news. But the problem is they have never watched FOX news but just take everyone's word for it that it is bad. The same can be said about Disney. They just take everyone's word for it that it's just for kids not grown ups and it's silly that I keep going.

The other scenario is the ones who go and don't listen to your advise. Then they come back and tell you what a terrible time they had. I ask "did you do this" No. "Did you make ADRs?" No. I stopped giving advise.

I also get that "it's too expensive". I just spent a week in New Orleans. Believe me WDW is not expensive.
LOL! I just did a Hawaii trip last november. Not counting flights, my resort and food expenses we're more expensive in Hawaii vs WDW. And considering the attractions, tours we did, a 6 day Magic your way tix for 2 people would have worked out about similar costs.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
LOL! I just did a Hawaii trip last november. Not counting flights, my resort and food expenses we're more expensive in Hawaii vs WDW. And considering the attractions, tours we did, a 6 day Magic your way tix for 2 people would have worked out about similar costs.
I found Hawaii to be of a similar cost, lodging and food, but a much MUCH higher quality of both. My resort was directly on one of the most pristine beaches in the world, and the food was to die for.

Meanwhile at WDW.....

Club Cooloholic

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/facts-a...cent-reproductive-health/louisiana/index.html

So Louisiana ranks number #2 in the country for pretty much every STD and has a teenage pregnancy rate 50% higher than the national average. This is fueled almost entirely by a certain group of people.

Wow what a magical way to start my morning . I love the emphasis on it being an entire group of people.

LittleBuford

You’re right: you are indeed the one with the problem. It’s called rabid racism, and you need to do something about it.

jloucks

I'll make a statement for those of us that are older and have been to places around the world, taken in the culture and so on... I strictly go to Disney now, because stateside, there is no other place where there are hours and hours of what seems like endless entertainment without much walking, by comparison.

Travel is hard, even on a paid tour. You have to wander all over the place, stay strictly within the time limits allowed and see what they want you to see. It really is a completely different experience from a Disney park regardless of the name. If you go to Europe, like I did a few years ago, it is really hard work and a relatively safe adventure. We went without any tour guides. We found our own accommodations, decided and pre-ticketed what we wanted to see ahead of time, and even bought European train passes ahead of time. We took planes, trains and buses (no automobiles). We went on what I currently call, jokingly, our European death march. We took chances on pre-renting apartments in Paris and Rome and made reservations in a small family owned Hotel in Venice. In the cities we took the subways wherever we could and the only near problem I personally had was on a very crowded subway during rush hour in Rome. I was pressed up against the door of the train by literally hoards of people, and just before we got off, a lady standing next to me tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the ground behind me. Low and behold there was my wallet with all my credit cards and a small amount of cash laying there. Apparently, someone had tried to pick my pocket, but, were not of Danial Ocean's ability. There wasn't enough room for anyone to bend down and pick it up at the time, so they just left it. Close but no cigar. Other then that one, almost problem, everything went well from that point on.

My point of all that above gibberish was to point out that it was a lot of work especially when I had to drag two suitcases almost a mile along a cobblestone street in Paris from the bus stop to our apartment. But, we survived and it just made for an adventure. I won't lie, the last two weeks of our month long trip was on a relocation Trans-Atlantic cruise with a number of stops to places along the Mediterranean, everything except the shore excursions were in one spot. The ship! That was nice and also representative about why Disney one stop shopping is so popular. Packing and moving every few days, is quite exhausting.

That explains why "Traveled" people could eventually like Disney more than the real thing. But, those that have traveled for the adventure and exposure to new things, it is just because we are spent and really do prefer a one size fits all experience. Those that haven't really are just not interested in world travel and enjoy the local experience of Disney. Those that have never tried Disney, really have no reason to feel superior. If only they knew what fun they have been missing. I like to think that I am a prime example confirming that one can really enjoy both of the experiences.

I dunno man, WDW seems like a lot of walking to me. 12-15 miles a day is a lot when your 6’3 250. You detailed pretty well one of the reasons (I have never talked about till now) I like Disney Cruise Line vacations. Way less walking. Hit the dock, hop a tour bus to the butterfly museum (or whateve), and then maybe a dune buggy tour of something else. Easy freakin peasy.

PopPopBear

I get hammered at work when I say I'm going back to Disney. Actually, I'll just say I'm going away on vacation in a few weeks, and the first response is, "Oh, you're going back 'down there' !" The one guy goes to all of the islands with his wife and he's a certified scuba diver. He said that my family is missing out on seeing the world by just continuing to go back "down there." I have relatives who have accompanied us to Disney and that was it. They never returned after that one visit. We've been there 32 times. I guess it's just in our blood. I could care less if anyone scoffs at my 'Disney habit.'

Same here. It doesn't bother me but does get old hearing it over and over again. In addition to Disney vacations my wife and I also love to cruise so our vacations generally involve one or the other, sometimes both. Back in my younger days (not too long ago ;)) when we were in a different income bracket and raising a family and all I had co-workers who were in a different stage of life and were able to travel. I was never envious of them. I just kept my eye on the prize of one day being able to do the same. It seems that many people in today's world can't be happy when others live their own lives and do the things they enjoy without feeling the need to question, judge, etc.

Last edited:

PiXie Mom

Some facts need to be overlooked to keep things civil and PC. That data should not be shared, as it is very racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom